It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:21 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Influence of pharma companies

Until I was dx with MS last spring I had no idea how influential the Pharma Companies were.

I visited the NMSS website today to see if any research discoveries had been announced. The big news today is that four new corporate stars have been named. You've guessed it - Berlex; Biogen Idec; Serono / Pfizer; and Teva Neuroscience.

I loved the following from the NMSS President and CEO:

The pharmaceutical commitment to people living ...
Read more : Influence of pharma companies | Views : 1059 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

N acetyl cysteine (NAC)

Hi all,

I've just come back from a trip around France on my own. Naturally there was a train strike so I had major problems getting from A to B without the added burden of not being able to walk properly. Whilst on the trip and perhaps somewhat foolishly I added an extra 600mg of N acetyl cysteine (NAC) to my existing regime of 1,200mg of NAC per day. During the week an ongoing snuffle ...
Read more : N acetyl cysteine (NAC) | Views : 2314 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Regimens

Fun fact

I was reading something from Neuroscience Canada's "Brain Repair Program" that said 90% of what we know about the human brain, we've learned in the last 15 years. (I think the author made the statement in 2005)

I'm just speculating now, but I wouldn't mind betting that our knowledge of the brain is increasing exponentially, and has been all along. And the bright side of that is that we seem to be hitting that part ...
Read more : Fun fact | Views : 1332 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

Glucosamine effective against EAE

Very interesting. Still haven't done any tests on humans yet, so can't get too excited.

Glucosamine abrogates the acute phase of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by induction of th2 response.

J Immunol. 2005 Dec 1;175(11):7202-8.

Zhang GX, Yu S, Gran B, Rostami A.
Department of Neurology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107.

Glucosamine, a natural glucose derivative and an essential component of glycoproteins and proteoglycans, has been safely used to relieve osteoarthritis in humans. Recent studies ...
Read more : Glucosamine effective against EAE | Views : 2195 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Natural Approach

Missed DX

My grandson's grand mother on his Dads side has thought for the past 2 years she had MS as she was Dx then. Now they have just discovered she has Myasthenia Gravis. It has allot of the same stuff going on as MS. I had never heard of it till today.This is one time I'm pretty much glad so many first marriages end in divorce as she is not my grandsons biological grandmother any more ...
Read more : Missed DX | Views : 1161 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

ReceptoPharm

Dignan,

Came across the following company who are developing drugs for diseases caused by viruses (including MS). They have one treatment for MS in development. Not sure if it is included in your list as the company is part owned by Nutra Pharma

Ian

<shortened url>
Read more : ReceptoPharm | Views : 1547 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

So Near yet So Far

http://www.avenues-of-sight.com/legacpapers.pdf

Over the years, time and time again infection has been put forward as being the cause of multiple sclerosis. In 1894 Pierre Marie, a former student of Jean Martin Charcot, the father of neurology, argued strongly that infection was the cause of multiple sclerosis. He did not know the specific infective agent but was certain that a treatment would soon be available in the form of a "vaccine of Pasteur or lymph of Koch." ...
Read more : So Near yet So Far | Views : 1604 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Antibiotics

This is me

:D
Hi, I am Vicky, am 39 yrs old, with two boys, 15 and 7 and a lovely new husband! Went numb top to toe overnight in April, and after MRIs (during which they also found a pituitary tumour!), LP and numerous other tests, I was diagnosed in July. As yet no one can tell me which type I have, as I have had no remissions ...
Read more : This is me | Views : 1662 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Introductions

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 218697 • Total topics 22538 • Total members 14184