It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:16 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Nerve repair

Dear all,

Some hopeful news from the BBC website. Doesn't specifically mention MS but testing on humans could be within the next year.

Bromley

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4707023.stm
Read more : Nerve repair | Views : 3317 | Replies : 21 | Forum : General Discussion

Lawsuit: Similar Article - A Little More Detail

Here is another Boston Globe press release that just provides a tad bit more detail as to the allegations contained in the lawsuit against Biogen/Elan .

It almost sounds like me talking (a few months ago). How odd, huh? I will highlight.

Please also note below some clarification regarding "informed consent" (i.e. clinical "waivers") that I tried to explain many times in the past (very passionately, I might add), and which I just answered ...
Read more : Lawsuit: Similar Article - A Little More Detail | Views : 1514 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Measles, B Cells and MS

Dear all,

This paper is really for the scientists among us (which I'm not). However, I sort of understand what it says - that anti-bodies to MS are increased in MS sufferers and the B cells play a part in progression of this disease. I have seen elsewhere that B cells (in addition to T cells) are being studied in terms of their role in MS and that some future treatments are targetted at B ...
Read more : Measles, B Cells and MS | Views : 889 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

New to MS and Posting

:?: Hello, everyone one. Thanks for letting me join your fine group. I am hoping to learn as much as I can about MS and the Dx process. I am in limbo myself still going through all the testing.

I was Dx'd with Fibromyalgia 3 years ago, however a new GP has since decided that the progression of my symptoms as well as new ones are looking ...
Read more : New to MS and Posting | Views : 2947 | Replies : 11 | Forum : Introductions

Pleased but puzzled

I posed this question in an earlier thread but it did not receive a response. Perhaps everyone is on holiday or I phrased the question badly? However, being the persistent little soul that I am – here it is again.

I have to confess I am still struggling to figure out exactly how this stuff is working so the following is a “think bubble” for anyone to comment upon.

To set the scene:- I have ...
Read more : Pleased but puzzled | Views : 3233 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Low Dose Naltrexone

Whelk venom.

Having had MS for 2.5 years I ate some whelks which seemed to ease my symptoms. A search of the internet (http://uninews.unimelb.edu.au/articleid_2439.html) suggested that my chance and subjective discovery may have more to it. Whilst the above is an Australian sea snail another discovery indicates that the European/North Atlantic whelk has similar properties.

It would appear that the venom assists the passage of signals down the neuron.

It there ...
Read more : Whelk venom. | Views : 1018 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

IL-12

Article on IL-12 and it's possible involvement in MS

One of the drugs in trial ABT-874 focuses on IL-12

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/node/8407

Bromley
Read more : IL-12 | Views : 5134 | Replies : 16 | Forum : General Discussion

Stem cell treament

Dear all,

This article comes from The Sun (a UK tabloid). Not much detail but I've heard elsewhere that the Dutch are doing some interesting things in relation to MS.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005330387,00.html

Bromley
Read more : Stem cell treament | Views : 1084 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Question About Drug Trials

I just read better2gether's post in the Tysabri forum about the Sentinal results (Avonex/Tysabri combo). I've always wondered...
There were 1171 Avonex treated patients spread out over 123 trial sites. If it was a double blind study, does that mean there were double that number of actual participants? Why do they spread it out over such a large number of sites? Wouldn't 50 or so sites provide a representative sample and greatly reduce costs?
Read more : Question About Drug Trials | Views : 1226 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

Tetanus immunization helpful for those with MS?

I guess this relationship still needs to be tested, but it's an interesting possibility.

Immunity to tetanus is protective against the development of multiple sclerosis

Verstraeten T, Davis R, Destefano F.
Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) Program, Epidemiology Program Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Altanta, GA, USA.

Following allegations that Hepatitis B vaccination causes or triggers multiple sclerosis (MS), several epidemiological studies have been conducted to evaluate the association between MS and vaccination.

In ...
Read more : Tetanus immunization helpful for those with MS? | Views : 1165 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 216407 • Total topics 22112 • Total members 13908