It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:16 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Century Wellness Clinic / Alternative funding

Has anyone had any expirience with getting Alternative treatment for MS at the Century Wellness Clinic in Reno NV? Their site: http://www.centurywellness.com/cw/treatment.php

I am looking into this for my husband. Any help would be appriciated.

I am also trying to find out anything I can about funding Alternative treatments. We are on a fixed income and I would like to try raising funds for treatments without it counting against ...
Read more : Century Wellness Clinic / Alternative funding | Views : 960 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Reata Pharmaceuticals

This doesn't even qualify for the research pipeline since the company doesn't appear to have a specific drug targeted at MS yet, but they look like they're doing something a bit different by concentrating on protein misfolding.

Reata Announces Licensing of Novel Class of Anti-Inflammatory Compounds; Drugs Have Broad Potential Across Multiple Therapeutic Areas

April 17 - PRNewswire - Reata Pharmaceuticals, Inc. today announced the completion of a license agreement with Dartmouth College and The ...
Read more : Reata Pharmaceuticals | Views : 833 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

AI Disease, Response Starts Early, MS and Type 1 diabetes

Nick's foreword

I believe the following information is very important for a variety of reasons.
  • It reinforces the strong relationship between type 1 diabetes and MS. This studyby Winer et al in 2001 that found striking similarities between IDDM and MS. In essence, the two diseases are, in a test tube, virtually identical. It’s only their final expression of what self tissue is attacked which differs.
  • It compliments the research by Guggenmos et ...
Read more : AI Disease, Response Starts Early, MS and Type 1 diabetes | Views : 2920 | Replies : 12 | Forum : General Discussion

Relapse occuring like flu?

Hey, I'm sorry to ask for advice again, but here goes.

I had imagined that relapses would be fairly straightforward ... like ... awakening to find a numbness in an arm or leg. But my first episode was a "flu" that got worse and worse until I wasn't able to walk or use my hands very well and was thinking and talking somewhat incoherently.

I had thought that was a freak onset. Except now I ...
Read more : Relapse occuring like flu? | Views : 1423 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

Viruses

Viruses have been suggested as triggers for "auto-immune" diseases including MS. There has been mounting evidence that a virus such as EBV may make one more susceptible. The following research suggests that an initial virus may lay dormant in the CNS and then reactivated later by another virus. Just a theory, but might explain why this disease has been so difficult to crack.

Ian

http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/abstract/JCI27372v1
Read more : Viruses | Views : 2897 | Replies : 17 | Forum : General Discussion

Canadians

The Canadian MS Society has organised presentations in late April and in May about MS Research. Not sure if the venues are near to any users of this website but it would be good if someone could report back.

HarryZ - don't you live in London?

Ian

http://www.mssociety.ca/en/help/Medical ... ndHope.htm
Read more : Canadians | Views : 1389 | Replies : 11 | Forum : General Discussion

Viruses and MS...again

HHV-6 vs EBV in a battle to decide which causes more cases of MS...coming soon to a theatre near you...

Human herpesvirus 6 and multiple sclerosis: a one-year follow-up study.

Brain Pathol. 2006 Jan;16(1):20-7.
Alvarez-Lafuente R, De Las Heras V, Bartolome M, Garcia-Montojo M, Arroyo R.
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Madrid, Spain. labesmul@hcsc.es

BACKGROUND: This study was undertaken in order to investigate the possible relation of HHV-6 ...
Read more : Viruses and MS...again | Views : 1021 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Tovaxin

PharmaFrontiers Corp, a company involved in the development and commercialization of cell therapies, announced today that the Company will make a poster presentation at the 2006 Annual Meeting of the Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies (FOCIS) at the San Francisco Marriott on June 3, 2006.
The presentation will cover laboratory and clinical data from the Company's proprietary T-cell vaccination technology for the treatment of the autoimmune disease, multiple sclerosis and is entitled:

"Characterization and Clinical ...
Read more : Tovaxin | Views : 1354 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Head injuries not the cause

According to a recent report, head injuries do not seem to trigger the development of multiple sclerosis, a degenerative neurological disease. The hypothesis that trauma to the head might influence the development of multiple sclerosis in genetically predisposed individuals has been debated for several years, but the link has not been studied conclusively.
Researchers from Oxford University studied data for a group of over 110,000 people admitted to a hospital with head injury and analysed ...
Read more : Head injuries not the cause | Views : 1212 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Axonal loss

In recent years it has been recognised that axonal loss is the main cause of permanent disability. The traditional view is that attacks by the immune sytem result in demyelination and that the underlying nerve fibres (axons) degenerate. The damage is considered to take place under the lesions which form where de-myelination has occurred. As with everything connected with this disease - nothing is straightforward. Attached is an article which suggestes that demyelination and axonal ...
Read more : Axonal loss | Views : 1255 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 222236 • Total topics 23080 • Total members 14607

Contact us | Terms of Service