It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:14 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Precious metals to cure autoimmune diseases?

Interesting new angle I've never heard of before.

Noble metals strip peptides from class II MHC proteins

Letter
Nature Chemical Biology
Published online: 26 February 2006 | doi:10.1038/nchembio773

Stephen L De Wall1,2,6,8, Corrie Painter3, Jennifer D Stone4, Rajintha Bandaranayake3, Don C Wiley5,7, Timothy J Mitchison1,2, Lawrence J Stern3,4 and Brian S DeDecker1,8

Class II major histocompatibility complex (MHC) proteins are essential for normal immune system function but also drive many autoimmune responses. They bind peptide ...
Read more : Precious metals to cure autoimmune diseases? | Views : 1094 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Is Bromley Gone?

Just read B's last post in the Tysabri section. Hope that it is another one of his jokes, as he states he is going to stop posting, after the "Harry Z' fiasco.

I find Bromley's posts to be very informative, and I think this site will be diminished by his absence. Take a while to lick your wounds Bromley, and to get over your misinterpreted attempt at humor, but don't give up on the site. ...
Read more : Is Bromley Gone? | Views : 2186 | Replies : 12 | Forum : General Discussion

Test for MS

.5 kDa Cystatin May Generate First Simple Test for Multiple Sclerosis 03 March 2006

Johns Hopkins scientists report the discovery of a protein found only in cerebrospinal fluid that they say might be useful in identifying a subgroup of patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) or identifying those at risk for the debilitating autoimmune disorder.
MS strikes over 10,000 Americans each year, most of whom are women, and causes weakness, numbness, a loss of muscle coordination, ...
Read more : Test for MS | Views : 980 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

EBV

Some research on EBV and MS (EBV usually known as Glandular Fever in the UK and Mono in the US).

I've been invited to attend and EBV/MS seminar at the Institute of Neurology later this month, so will be keen to find out what the latest thinking is.

Ian

Epstein-Barr Infection Linked to Multiple Sclerosis 02 March 2006

Patients diagnosed with infectious mononucleosis in young adulthood as a result of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection have ...
Read more : EBV | Views : 866 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Bring back Harry Z

Dear all,

Harry, I was just trying to wind you up. You know me well enough by now. I had no idea that your surname really began with Z.

Arron - sorry if this caused you any problems. I never ever though that the post would be taken seriously.

My latest survey shows that 97% want the ban on Harry Z to be lifted. Welcome back Harry Z.

Ian
Read more : Bring back Harry Z | Views : 1953 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Radio show will run more MS stories if you vote

I have a friend who does a radio show called Life Love & Health. It's on XM and a few NPR affiliates, as well as internationally on Voice of America and American Forces Network.

He's done a show or two about MS and I've been coaxing him to do more, so he agreed to put a poll on the show's website about autoimmune diseases to gauge interest. It's here, on the lower left:

Read more : Radio show will run more MS stories if you vote | Views : 1164 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Ban Harry Z

This is not my idea, but I have received a huge number of PMs asking me to raise this with Arron.

My recent survey of users of this site showed that of the 654 who voted, 86% want Harry Z banned from the thisisms site.

Harry is a menace. I have received a number of e-mails saying that Harry Z holds a substantial amount of stock in Teva, which accounts for his unrelenting attacks on ...
Read more : Ban Harry Z | Views : 2074 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Rituximab / Rituxin

I have posted before on Rituximab which is being trialled in PP, SP and RR MS. The FDA has just approved Rituximab for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Rituximab targets the B cells which are now thought to be involved in MS. If the trials for MS do prove promising then I imagine approval might be speedier as it has been approved for eight years for cancer and now for RA.

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j477773853&w=464753 ...
Read more : Rituximab / Rituxin | Views : 2385 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Who owns this site?

Begs the question who profits from this site? IF profit is involved - maybe the site is not as "unbiased" as one would think. hmmm...

Just out of curosity : Do a whois search on the domain name "thisisms.com" then do a search on the phone number listed
(480) 624-2599 I did... You'll get tons of listings -

While your at it do a search on ExperienceProject.com (a link at the bottom of the main ...
Read more : Who owns this site? | Views : 2545 | Replies : 15 | Forum : General Discussion

testing for PML

Hi -

I've been reading through all the newly shared data and opinions on Tysabri and I have a question that maybe someone can answer. Does anyone know how the testing for PML is done? One description I read said they are taking "serial measurements of JC viral load" and I'm wondering just how those measurements are obtained.

Thanks,
Arcee
Read more : testing for PML | Views : 1204 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220978 • Total topics 22910 • Total members 14474

Contact us | Terms of Service