It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Greedy CRAB manfacturers

As if some $4 billion revenue a year from the CRAB drugs isn't enough. A trial of Avonex and Copaxone. Not sure if you get two for the price of one. Unfortunately these sorts of trials will drawn in sufferers who could have tested some more promising drugs!

Copaxone was in trial with minocycline but this has gone quiet. I suspect that the small trial of monocycline alone put the wind up the CRAB manufacturers. ...
Read more : Greedy CRAB manfacturers | Views : 1276 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

Genetic variation and autoimmune disease

Another worthwhile effort...

Researchers Identify Gene Sequences Associated With Favourable Immune Functions

Sequence differences in less than 0.2% of the 3-billion-base human genome play a vital role in a bewildering variety of human disease. Today, researchers from the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and the Cambridge University’s Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, together with international colleagues report in PLoS Genetics their detailed maps of differences implicated in disease as well as genes that are unchanged in ...
Read more : Genetic variation and autoimmune disease | Views : 960 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

New Patent for Stem Cell treatment

Here's a news article I just ran across about using oligodendrocyte-like cells extracted from bone marrow to restore cell function.

Hopefully this patent pans out!

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060126/20060126005366.html?.v=1

Dunmann.
Read more : New Patent for Stem Cell treatment | Views : 1508 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Stem Cells

Funding for innovative MS research

This can't hurt...

New Fund Supports Innovative Research In Oregon Health & Science Univ's Fight Against MS

PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon Health & Science University today announced it has established a new fund to promote innovative research in the fight against multiple sclerosis. Made possible by a generous $1 million pledge from the family of Portland advertising executive Dan Wieden, the fund is named for his daughter, Laura, who has the disease. Seed money from ...
Read more : Funding for innovative MS research | Views : 900 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Research

The NMSS website includes details of the latest research:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Progre ... search.asp

The section on MS numbers is interesting given our previous discussions on a possible infectious cause.

In one of the papers it states that 'The last 7 or 8 years have seen exponential advances in understanding MS'. I use to complain when I saw stuff like this but I've changed my ways!

Ian
Read more : Research | Views : 1006 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Nogo-A, stroke and MS?

This is about stroke, but could this experimental treatment help in MS?

Stroke Brain Fix

During a stroke, like the one that felled Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, brain cells die from a lack of oxygen. But brain researchers may have found a way to make stroke-damaged nerve cells re-grow. This ScienCentral News video has more.

Stroke Hope

If Ariel Sharon wakes up from his coma, he could still face a long and hard recovery ...
Read more : Nogo-A, stroke and MS? | Views : 1181 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

New research on glutamate receptor damage

I don't think this study has been posted here yet, but sometimes it's hard to keep up.

Breakthrough in brain injury study at University of Leicester

Drs Robert Fern and Mike Salter of the Department of Cell Physiology and Pharmocology at the University of Leicester had their findings published in the science journal Nature.

Their study is particularly important as it identifies the cause of damage to the brain and the mechanism by which this ...
Read more : New research on glutamate receptor damage | Views : 4268 | Replies : 25 | Forum : General Discussion

Diagnosed with shingles

After developing a small itchy rash on my back, I went to see my GP who immediately said it was shingles. I thought it was unusual that I would get shingles, as I am only 33 yrs old and I thought that shingles mainly occured in older people. I guess this is the same virus that causes chicken pox and there are higher rates of infection with MS patients. I picked this article off of ...
Read more : Diagnosed with shingles | Views : 1117 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

neuropsych test

well i finally had my test yesturday 5 hours worth..i didnt think i would be so drained..i was wiped out after that..somethings i did okay on but other things i just couldn't remember things they wanted me to remember...it was kinda of frustrating..i was wondering what everyone else thought when they went for theirs? also what does that show? i mean besides if ya have slight memory loss?thanks for reading this and helping me out.. ...
Read more : neuropsych test | Views : 1127 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Disabilty progression

A piece of research about disability progression.

http://www.mssociety.ca/en/research/med ... -jan06.htm

It seems fairly upbeat in terms of the time taken to hit various disability points. If it really takes 28 years (on average) to need a cane then I have to wonder what I've been worrying about. But many of the pictures on the MS national society websites have pictures of young people in wheelchairs!

But I'd be interested ...
Read more : Disabilty progression | Views : 2355 | Replies : 13 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221717 • Total topics 23018 • Total members 14544

Contact us | Terms of Service