It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:34 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Vitamin D

Vitamin D could play a role in keeping the lungs healthy, research suggests.
Patients with higher vitamin D levels in their blood had significantly better lung function, a University of Auckland team found in a study of 14,091 people.

The difference between the two was more marked than that between smokers and those who had quit, the study published in the journal Chest said.

Dietary supplements could boost lung function, the team suggested, but they ...
Read more : Vitamin D | Views : 934 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Infectious cause

Dear all,

As many of you are aware (I've bored you to death), I'm a big believer
that MS is caused / or triggered by a virus (or other infectious agent). EVB is my prime suspect, mainly because I had Glandular Fever quite badly at 15 (the only teenage / adult illness I had). My first MS attack came out of the blue at 39.

The so called outbreaks of MS also point to an ...
Read more : Infectious cause | Views : 5451 | Replies : 33 | Forum : General Discussion

Human Epigenome Project

Another international genetics effort brewing that has implications for MS research.

Forget mutations: geneticists are hunting for subtler changes to DNA.

December 16, 2005 - Nature - Geneticists are brewing plans for a collective effort, loosely patterned on the Human Genome Project, that would map subtle changes in DNA. Some say that these changes are just as important to our understanding of disease as straight mutations.

As many as half of the genetic alterations that ...
Read more : Human Epigenome Project | Views : 1067 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

"Coming out" at work

We're running a poll over at Accelerated Cure Project about people's experiences of coming out or not about your MS in the work environment. The comments section has prompted some interesting stories. If you're interested in weighing in or just seeing the results, you can check it out here:

http://msnews.acceleratedcure.org/pollBooth.pl?qid=13
Read more : "Coming out" at work | Views : 837 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Please read this very carefully.

Please read this very carefully. (Copied from CPn Help)

I mentioned in my first blog at CPn Help
http://www.CPn Help.org/?q=sarahs_illustrated_blog#comment
that there was much I didn't remember about the early days of my treatment. I have never been a terribly good record keeper, but I did start out keeping a journal. For a few days I even added to this daily, but soon I could go for a couple of weeks without adding anything. This period rapidly ...
Read more : Please read this very carefully. | Views : 1684 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Antibiotics

Stem cells for drug delivery?

A different way that stem cells could prove useful in neurodegenerative disorders.

Engineered stem cells show promise for sneaking drugs into the brain

December 15, 2005 - Eurekalert - One of the great challenges for treating Parkinson's diseases and other neurodegenerative disorders is getting medicine to the right place in the brain.

The brain is a complex organ with many different types of cells and structures, and it is fortified with a protective barrier erected ...
Read more : Stem cells for drug delivery? | Views : 1268 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Stem Cells

Hepatitis B vaccination and MS

Interesting hypothesis...

Multiple sclerosis and hepatitis B vaccination: Adding the credibility of molecular biology to an unusual level of clinical and epidemiological evidence.

Med Hypotheses. 2006;66(1):84-6. Epub 2005 Sep 19.
Comenge Y, Girard M.
23 rue du Commerce, 75015-Paris, France.

In spite of a huge number of reports of severe hazards after injection of hepatitis B vaccine (HBV), the issue is regularly raised that no mechanism is available for the development of central demyelinating disorders ...
Read more : Hepatitis B vaccination and MS | Views : 1376 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

LDN and weightloss

Has anyone experienced weightloss while taking LDN? Normally one wouldn't mind losing a few pounds, I just don't want to miss an underlying problem. Thanks
Read more : LDN and weightloss | Views : 3948 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Low Dose Naltrexone

Neuro-protection

If there was a Father Christmas (Santa Claus to Americans) I would ask for some neuro-protection.

A report has been published about neuro-protection. I haven't got the report but the following article provides a summary of the key points. Hopefully, some of the drugs being examined will come good.

Ian

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j438161024&w=464753
Read more : Neuro-protection | Views : 1360 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General Discussion

Skeptical but not a skeptic

Hello all,
This is my first post here, although I admit to lurking about for some time. The forum is outstanding and I have gained so much valuable information from everyone. Thank You!!

My husband was diagnosed in May, 2004--Since that time he has been on Avonex (Tysabri, briefly) and doing quite well. Well enough to finally have returned to his job as an airline pilot. He is also on a myriad of supplements-fish oil, ...
Read more : Skeptical but not a skeptic | Views : 3968 | Replies : 16 | Forum : Antibiotics

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221008 • Total topics 22915 • Total members 14474

Contact us | Terms of Service