It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:22 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Exercise to ward off neurodegeneration

The article is about Alzheimer's, but mentions the relevance of what they're talking about for neurodegenerative disorders in general.

Beat Alzheimer's with exercise: Study shows how exertion keeps brain cells healthy in mice.

December 2, 2005 - Nature - Exercise helps to flush a toxic molecule from the brain and causes a beneficial one to move in and protect nerve cells, research on mice shows. The discovery might help to explain why staying fit and ...
Read more : Exercise to ward off neurodegeneration | Views : 1178 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Neuro-protection

At my appointment the other week my neuro said that neuro-protection was the holy grail (I'd say neuro-regeneration was the holy grail).

I've hunted high and low for drugs companies working in this area but the CRAB maunfacturers seem happy to stick with their ineffective and expensive products.

The company which I have highlighted on many occasions (I have no financial interest etc) is Neuren of New Zealand. They have raised some funds which should ...
Read more : Neuro-protection | Views : 1686 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General Discussion

CERK, inflammation and MS

Yet another potential way to treat MS being looked at.

Enzyme May Be Target for New Anti-inflammatory Compounds

December 1, 2005 - Newswise — Virginia Commonwealth University researchers studying the enzyme that triggers inflammation have found that it may be a target for a new class of anti-inflammatory drugs to treat arthritis, asthma, multiple sclerosis, lung and colon cancers and Alzheimer’s disease.

In the December issue of the Journal of Lipid Research, researchers examined the ...
Read more : CERK, inflammation and MS | Views : 955 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Summary of research

I love this time of year. The MS Societies have to justify what they have been doing in terms of research.

The 'progress' made by the research funded by the NMSS is set out in the attached link. The NMSS claims that 'These and other leaps forward have made 2005 a momentous year in the fight against MS'.

Has it been a momentous year? It started badly with the Tysabri fiasco which impaced upon other ...
Read more : Summary of research | Views : 1022 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

found a fountain of info!

I am new to this site. Due to present MS symptoms, I am working a few french fries short of a Happy Meal. Under normal circumstances= MA- Psych assessor and profiler.
MS. 5 mos. on Minocycline OD. Started on 100 mg BID X 1 week. I discontinued but my wonderful doc agreed with persistance and the dose was cut to 10 mg OD and we have been building. Up to 90 mg OD. Takes about ...
Read more : found a fountain of info! | Views : 1888 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Antibiotics

Campath info 1.12

Schering shares fall on FDA alert - bad news for Campath 01 December 2005
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Shares in German drugmaker Schering fell as much as 1.1 percent on Thursday after U.S. regulators issued a health alert over its Campath drug in a trial to treat multiple sclerosis.

Campath is approved to treat a type of blood cancer, but in a study on multiple sclerosis, three patients developed a severe blood disorder and one of ...
Read more : Campath info 1.12 | Views : 2128 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Campath (Lemtrada, Alemtuzumab)

Inability to lose weight....and Copaxone

Hi everyone!

Im curious if anyone else has this problem...prior to using Copaxone I was on Avonex and had no problem losing weight. After I had my baby I immediatley went on Copaxone and ever since have been unable to lose more than 10 lbs.....I work out 3X a week...and even hired a personal trainer two months ago...sticking to a strict workout schedule and diet he provides...I STILL cant lose weight. My body fat percentage ...
Read more : Inability to lose weight....and Copaxone | Views : 3119 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Copaxone

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220774 • Total topics 22875 • Total members 14445

Contact us | Terms of Service