It is currently Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:13 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

They could be on to something

I don't know if I've connected the dots properly, but here it goes:

In 2001, UC Irvine researchers found that ShK, a sea anemone venom halted and reversed EAE.
http://www.ucihealth.com/News/Releases/ ... one_ms.htm

ShK appears to work by blocking a specific voltage-gated potassium channel, Kv1.3. ShK is the most potent known inhibitor of Kv1.3.

The problem is that ShK doesn't last long enough in blood to effectively treat MS. So ...
Read more : They could be on to something | Views : 5460 | Replies : 18 | Forum : General Discussion

Relapses and pseudo relapses whilst on antibiotics

http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/relapse_pseudo.html

This is a new page on Dr. David Wheldon's site, discussing relapses and pseudo relapses in antibiotic treatment, following on from this section:

Can relapses occur after starting antibiotics?

In relapsing-remitting MS the major cause of relapse, a new respiratory infection with Chlamydia pneumoniae, will be prevented by the antibiotics. However, for the first six months or so it is possible for a relapse to occur secondary to a virus infection. This may be ...
Read more : Relapses and pseudo relapses whilst on antibiotics | Views : 1734 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Antibiotics

Histamine in Australia? prokarin?

Hi,

Is anyone using histamine (as described in http://thecompounder.com/diseaseprokarininfo.html and http://www.goodshape.net)?

Are you using "Prokarin"? or "making your own"?

what would i ask for from the chemist? they seem to have no information or knowledge of Histamine diPhosphate. although i havnt asked a compounding pharmmacy as yet.

thanks
Read more : Histamine in Australia? prokarin? | Views : 2148 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Regimens

Just so its clear theres more than three of us...

Hi all,

Just posting so that all know there are more than three people on statins.

I have been on 80mg/day simvastatin for about 3 months. In the last 4 weeks I have stopped taking rebif, and also started taking LDN. So now i am on statins and LDN (and just started taking antibiotics today as well).

I dont know which of LDN or statins helped the most but, I never remember improving this fast, ...
Read more : Just so its clear theres more than three of us... | Views : 3968 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Statins

Personal account of LDN

Hi,

below is my personal experience of trying LDN for those considering it.

I have what i think is mild MS. Bad balance, tingling in my hands and feet and general muscle weekness/tiredness.

I was on rebif about 4 weeks ago. I have been on Statins for about 2 months. While on rebif i had my worst relapse. And even without the relapse, I felt the rebif made the tingling and balance worst. I realised ...
Read more : Personal account of LDN | Views : 2095 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Low Dose Naltrexone

How many get "Herx"?

Hi,

I just started antibiotics today.

This treatment sounds VERY promising, especially considering its the only one that may actually possibly cure ms (with a scientific base...)

One of the things which i was sort of ALMOST hoping for, was a MILD "Herxheimer-type" reaction. The reason: it would prove that something was not right, and the abx were doing something.

I asked my dr if a "normal" person would get this reaction from abx, and ...
Read more : How many get "Herx"? | Views : 2707 | Replies : 10 | Forum : Antibiotics

High dose Betaseron trial

I have a hard time getting too excited about this...

Largest Ever MS Trial Completes Patient Enrollment

08-26-05 -- What's being described as the largest double-blind, randomized clinical trial for multiple sclerosis (MS) has completed its patient enrollment phase, according to the trial's sponsor, Berlin-based Schering AG. The trial will involve 2100 patients diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS at more than 200 study centers located in 26 countries. It's aimed at testing the safety and effectiveness ...
Read more : High dose Betaseron trial | Views : 1672 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Immunoadsorption (is this the same as plasma exchange?)

This study is promising.

Eur J Clin Invest. 2005 Aug;35(8):523-30.

Immunoadsorption patients with multiple sclerosis: an open-label pilot study.

Moldenhauer A, Haas J, Wascher C, Derfuss T, Hoffmann KT, Kiesewetter H, Salama A. -- Charite--Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany. anja.moldenhauer@charite.de

BACKGROUND: Immunoadsorption (IA) is occasionally applied in patients with acute relapses of multiple sclerosis (MS). This pilot study was undertaken to determine whether IA might help in secondary progressive and relapsing-remitting multiple ...
Read more : Immunoadsorption (is this the same as plasma exchange?) | Views : 1297 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

intro

began falling down often last summer. wound up in hospital over the holidays this past year. neuros i was seeing then refused to go beyond proving i did/didn't have seizures. went to philly doc at jefferson hospital, who did appropriate testing for ms. been on copaxone since june. ms mostly knocks the right leg literally out from under me. using a cane to improve balance. look forward to increasing my knowledge/understanding via this site.

linda
Read more : intro | Views : 1987 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Introductions

two questions

1. Do long URLs always have to create a situation where horizontal scrolling is required from then on in the thread? Do links only work if they don't wrap?

2. I would like to have "newest first" set on all threads? Can I do that or do they each have to be set separately? I didn't find it in profile settings.
Read more : two questions | Views : 3463 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Site Support

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 226684 • Total topics 23876 • Total members 15148

Contact us | Terms of Service