It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:41 pm

News News of Stem Cells

Site map of Stem Cells » Forum : Stem Cells

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.

And another story

The clinic in Holland must be turning customers away. A consultant neuro in the UK probably earns £100,000. Sacking a few would help fund treatments for MS patients. It's a sad state of affairs when the medical profession can do nothing to help someone so young in such a dreadful situation.

Woman's £15,000 bid to defeat MS 23 February 2006

A woman crippled by multiple sclerosis is hoping to raise £15,000 for what she hopes ...
Read more : And another story | Views : 1339 | Replies : 0

Another stem cell story

Not a day goes by in the UK press without an 'MS sufferer / stem cell treatment in Holland story'. Here's another. The view of the UK neuro profession seems to be that this treatment is a waste of time (and money). But in most case they don't have anything else to offer their patients.

Banned Treatment Helped Me Walk 23 February 2006
By Justine Marklew

WALKING his dog in the park, Malcolm Pear doesn't ...
Read more : Another stem cell story | Views : 1755 | Replies : 1

neural precursor cells

Israeli scientists have injected neural precursor cells into the brains of mice with EAE with some success. One of the authors was Ben-Hur - good to see that he does more than race chariots against the Romans.

http://www.msif.org/en/research/researc ... d_neu.html
Read more : neural precursor cells | Views : 1250 | Replies : 0

stem cells in US

The following article was posted on the MSRC website today.
At least the company is attempting to collect data on the patients - unlike, I understand, the stem cell company in Holland where several UK MS sufferers have gone.

But I'm still very cautious as to the real benefits from these procedures. Paying all that money to get cold feet doesn't strike me as value for money. UK neuro's are advising patients against such stem ...
Read more : stem cells in US | Views : 1395 | Replies : 0

Book about stem cells

Interesting exerpt from a book about stem cells (see link below for full article - long and only a few MS references)

Stem Cell Research: Science and the Future

by Terry Gross - February 14, 2006 · Since 1998, when scientists isolated embryonic stem cells in a lab, questions over how -- and whether -- to use them have abounded. In Stem Cell Now, bioethics expert Christopher Thomas Scott explores the possibilities of what some ...
Read more : Book about stem cells | Views : 1323 | Replies : 1

Prions and stem cells

New insights into the functioning of stem cells...

Prions may hold key to stem cell function

30 January 2006 - NewScientist.com news service - The curative properties of stem cells may rely on prions, a new study suggests, the type of protein made infamous by mad cow disease.

Prions are a special class of protein that can change the shape and function of other proteins around them. While these are found throughout any mammal’s body, ...
Read more : Prions and stem cells | Views : 3581 | Replies : 1

New Patent for Stem Cell treatment

Here's a news article I just ran across about using oligodendrocyte-like cells extracted from bone marrow to restore cell function.

Hopefully this patent pans out!

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060126/20060126005366.html?.v=1

Dunmann.
Read more : New Patent for Stem Cell treatment | Views : 1469 | Replies : 0

Stem cells for immunosuppression and neuroprotection

I hope they can quickly push stem cell treatments along the road to clinical trials...

Stem cells in inflammatory demyelinating disorders: a dual role for immunosuppression and neuroprotection.

Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2006 Jan;6(1):17-22.
Uccelli A, Zappia E, Benvenuto F, Frassoni F, Mancardi G.
Department of Neurosciences, Ophthalmology and Genetics, University of Genoa, Via De Toni 5, 16132 Genoa, Italy. auccelli@neurologia.unige.it

In recent years much excitement has been generated over ...
Read more : Stem cells for immunosuppression and neuroprotection | Views : 1200 | Replies : 0

Stem Cell Treatments and MS

Hi all,

We at the MSRC are putting together an expanded section on Stem Cell Treatments, and as part of that, and for New Pathways Magazine, I am looking for people who are considering having, or have had SCT for their MS to provide personal feedback on the various companies and their experiences, whether it helped or not, how you were treated (hopefully you get the picture).

I already have some personal stories at ...
Read more : Stem Cell Treatments and MS | Views : 1509 | Replies : 0

Switching therapeutic genes on and off

Basic research, but they say they hope to enter Phase I trials soon...

Cedars-Sinai researchers demonstrate a new way to switch therapeutic genes 'on' and 'off'

December 23, 2005 - A gene therapy research team at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center has developed a new method of signaling therapeutic genes to turn "off" or "on," a mechanism that could enable scientists to fine-tune genetic- and stem cell-based therapies so that they are safer, more controllable and more ...
Read more : Switching therapeutic genes on and off | Views : 1283 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 218790 • Total topics 22550 • Total members 14199