MS and Autism

This forum is for parents and caregivers of kids under 21 with MS.

MS and Autism

Postby Jlspwk » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:53 pm

My fifteen year old son who has a mild form of autism was just diagnosed with MS. I have MS as well. Curious if any others on this site has an autistic child with MS.
Jlspwk

Advertisement

Re: MS and Autism

Postby NHE » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:23 am

Jlspwk wrote:My fifteen year old son who has a mild form of autism was just diagnosed with MS. I have MS as well. Curious if any others on this site has an autistic child with MS.

Welcome to ThisIsMS. I'm sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis at a young age.

Sally Pacholok is a coauthor of two books that discuss how vitamin B12 deficiency can mimic the symptoms of several other conditions including MS, autism and dementia. Her books are...

http://b12awareness.org/could-it-be-b12 ... diagnoses/

• Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses.

• What's Wrong with My Child? From Neurological and Developmental Disabilities to Autism.
    How to Protect Your Child from B12 Deficiency.

I don't know if you've had your son's B12 levels checked as many doctors today seem to overlook B12 from the perspective that it was just a health care fad from years gone by. However, a true B12 deficiency can be very disabling which is unfortunate as it's very easy to treat in the early stages of the condition. You may wish to read these books and possibly have your son's B12, homocysteine, methylmalonic acid (MMA) and red blood cell (RBC) folate levels tested.

You may also be interested in watching the following documentary available on youtube.

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MS and Autism

Postby ElliotB » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:19 am

Does your son follow a gluten free diet?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Return to Parenting Kids With MS