Thank goodness for books to keep you busy!

Discuss your favorite books here
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Thank goodness for books to keep you busy!

Post by lyndacarol »

I have always enjoyed fiction; but since my diagnosis of MS, I seem to gravitate to nonfiction. In recent years I have read and recommend John Adams by David McCullough, April 1865 by Jay Winik, too.

I found The Autoimmune Connection by Rita Baron-Faust and Jill Buyon, M.D. to be educational, but lacking information on hyperinsulinemia. I first came across that topic in Protein Power by Michael Eades, M.D. and wife Mary Dan Eades, M.D., which a friend recommended. Though it is marketed as a diet book, it is its nutritional information that I find most valuable.

But the book to give me the most hope in my MS situation is The Gold Coast Cure by Andrew Larson, M.D. and wife Ivy Larson. She describes her own journey with MS, her use of a modified, anti-inflammatory Swank diet, and her menu and exercise suggestions.

I am currently in the middle of another friend's recommendation, The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren. I used to think that MS just happened to me, that it could have been just anyone. But now I like to think that there is a reason I got this job. Even though I am unable to do anything physically, I hope I can bring something positive to the discussion on this new-found website.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

More titles

Post by lyndacarol »

I know I am influenced by what I read; and latest reading was The Inflammation Cure by William Joel Meggs, M.D., Ph.D. Perhaps this explains my posting under General Discussion.

I also found the special report, Insulin: Our Silent Killer, (through the website: www.healingmatters.com ) to be very interesting. You see, I'll read 'most anything!

Someone out there suggested that we meet after "the cure" has come to us. (That would be SOME party!!!) Although the world is smaller these days, that may not be possible for all. (But you certainly are welcome at my house!) Since I have finished reading Rick Warren's The Purpose-Driven Life, it may be easier for us to meet in eternity--I plan to be in heaven; can I meet you there? (There we can party FOREVER!!!)
Last edited by lyndacarol on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Diet changes diabetic status

Post by lyndacarol »

With my insulin level moderately high and fasting glucose at 109, I qualified for "pre-diabetic." Another troublesome symptom was frequent urination, especially at night.

After reading Diabesity by Francine Kaufman, M.D., I tried the ExtendBar she developed, but I noticed an increase in tingling in my feet, so I stopped. I think this was due to the sugar alcohol ingredient. (Splenda is a sugar alcohol, 600 times sweeter than sugar, which seems to make me worse.) She writes that the raw cornstarch is the active component so I changed to taking 2 teaspoons of raw cornstarch in a glass of V8 vegetable juice before bed. Whether it is this concoction or a placebo effect I don't know; but nightly bathroom trips have been greatly reduced--usually to one.

Edited on 1/3/10: Long ago I discontinued the cornstarch experiment because cornstarch is highly refined and converts quickly to glucose. I think ultimately this habit contributed to my insulin problem.
Her rationale is that the cornstarch evens out the glucose, avoids the highs and lows. Since this seems related to my thoughts on insulin (I especially don't want highs to trigger more insulin production.), I felt it was worth a try.

Now I am working on reducing the glucose load with diet in general. No MS improvements yet, but I take inspiration from The Gold Coast Cure and give it a try, too.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Effort to reduce glucose (ultimately insulin)

Post by lyndacarol »

In my continued attempt to lower my insulin, I have reduced carbohydrates in my diet. In addition to the previously mentioned books and writings, I am reading Living the Low Carb Life by Jonny Bowden, M.A., C.N.S. His explanations are actually fun to read and very understandable, especially the initial chapters on history and "Why Low-Carb Diets Work."

Although speaking of weight loss on page 28, he wrote a sentence that could apply to many folks at this website involved with MS, I think: "Could this be another case of the patient profoundly understanding the disease far in advance of the medical professionals?"
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Current reading

Post by lyndacarol »

I am currently reading a book that people using or considering conventional treatment with interferons or Copaxone may want to look into. I find Curing MS: How Science Is Solving the Mysteries of Multiple Sclerosis by Howard L. Weiner, M.D. interesting, though entirely TOO optimistic about their accomplishments!

It gives a peek inside at science, prevailing theories, research and drug development. It's good to have an idea of what goes on behind the scenes.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

The Language of God

Post by lyndacarol »

I find that I continue to learn about myself through reading. My recent discovery is that somewhere along the line I have converted from a fiction to nonfiction reader.

Although I have read Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams, and I will enjoy reading the community discussion here, I doubt that I will participate; I'm not sure that I understood the book.

I have just finished The Language of God by Francis Collins (leader of the Human Genome Project) and found it more uplifting. It even prompts more ideas that I will post later.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

More on The Language of God

Post by lyndacarol »

I had considered the eventual answer to MS would be "a miracle," (I know of one woman in Texas, who formerly had MS, and considers her experience of improvement back to normal was a miracle.) but now I agree with Francis S. Collins in his book, The Language of God (pg. forty-eight).
In modern parlance, we have cheapened the significance of the word "miracle." We speak of "miracle drugs," "miracle diets," "Miracle on Ice," or even the "miracle Mets." But, of course, that's not the original intended meaning of the word. More accurately, a miracle is an event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin.
Now I realize that the processes in the human body are not completely understood (although most physicians would have you believe that they know ALL about how the body works!) When the body's "laws of nature" are better understood (including knowledge of the pancreas!), then we will have our answer.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

another book by Nicholas Perricone, M.D.--7 Secrets

Post by lyndacarol »

I am about halfway through the latest book by Nicholas Perricone, M.D., 7 Secrets to Beauty, Health, and Longevity.

Although he is a dermatologist, he has much to say about inflammation, in general. He addresses Alpha Lipoic Acid, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, CoQ10, High Fructose Corn Syrup,many other supplements (even Vitamin D!), diet, and many other subjects that may interest some folks here.

Based on what I have read so far, I recommend it.

By the way, Lyon, he is an adjunct professor at Michigan State.

Return to “Reading Nook”