Reading Group

Discuss your favorite books here
JFH
Family Elder

Reading Group

Post by JFH »

Anyone fancy starting a Reading Group here? :?:

Not quite sure about the logistics of an online group but I'm sure with all the bright people here we can do it :)

So how about these for a starter on the rules ?

1. One book "discussed" every two months chosen by the next Group member in line. Chooser starts a discussion thread other contribute freely.
2. Group open to any TiMS member.
3. Any fiction or poetry or factual but no *medical* commentries :lol: available internationally in softback.
4. No compulsion to read to the finish any "pick of the month".

So any takers sign up here and if by the end of August we have 8 people we'll start in October - winter nights closing in here in Northren hemisphere what better than curling up with a good book! Sunny days in Aus so get on the beach with that relaxing read! :!:

http://www.readinggroupguides.com/advice/start.asp
John
I am what I am
Cagso
Getting to Know You...

Post by Cagso »

Count me in! I was thinking of starting one myself, but didn't get around to it. Thanks for taking the initiative.

I agree that the book selections should not be medical commentaries. The other guidelines seem okay, I guess. This is new to me, so I'm not quite sure. With all the people on this site (lurking or not) it shouldn't be too difficult to find 8 for a book group.
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

great idea John, thanks for kicking this off.
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
JFH
Family Elder

Post by JFH »

Ok so not much uptake do we still want to continue?
John
I am what I am
Niko
Family Elder

Post by Niko »

Sign me up please!

-- Niko 8)
"Avoid making irrevocable decisions when tired or hungry." -- Robert Heinlein
Cagso
Getting to Know You...

Post by Cagso »

I'm still interested, though three people doesn't seem like very many.

My husband can't get me interested in science fiction, but maybe Niko will. Am I reading too much into the Robert Heinlein quote?

-c
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

I'm jumping on the bandwagon too. And since we're making comments about Niko, nobody has been able to get me into Pink Floyd, but who knows, maybe there's a book out there...
sh8un
Family Elder

Post by sh8un »

ok...this is going to be embarrassing but here I go. I don't read much (I know it's not a shocker to some of you) but would love to. I have never joined a reading group. In fact, I am not really sure what I am getting into. I think it is where a bunch of ppl read a book and then discuss it. Right? I feel so brilliant. :oops: count me in. I am joining so that maybe you guys may enjoy a laugh or two. Where is my Dictionary?
NN
Niko
Family Elder

Post by Niko »

Cagso --

Heinlein's quote is great advice for those who deal with the type of fatigue that most of us have to contend with.

As for science fiction, there are so very many different types out there... humorous, hard-core science, adventures, human characters or not ... and more. Hehe ya, I've read a lot of sci-fi :)

So it's possible you may find an author's style that may appeal to you.
That's true for any type of fiction.

With sci-fi, there are galaxies out there to explore :wink:

I'm looking forward to the reading group and the multitude of selections out there for us to read; whatever type of books they are, it'll be fun :)

cheers,

-- Niko 8)
Niko
Family Elder

Post by Niko »

dignan wrote:I'm jumping on the bandwagon too. And since we're making comments about Niko, nobody has been able to get me into Pink Floyd, but who knows, maybe there's a book out there...
It's possible! :lol:

-- Niko
Niko
Family Elder

Post by Niko »

sh8un wrote:ok...this is going to be embarrassing but here I go. I don't read much (I know it's not a shocker to some of you) but would love to. I have never joined a reading group. In fact, I am not really sure what I am getting into. I think it is where a bunch of ppl read a book and then discuss it. Right? I feel so brilliant. :oops: count me in. I am joining so that maybe you guys may enjoy a laugh or two. Where is my Dictionary?
NN
It's the excitement of "the read"! And since we're a bunch of people from different parts of the globe, that adds to the fun as well.
You'll do great!!! And I'm with you in that I've never been a member of a reading group either.

-- Niko 8)
sh8un
Family Elder

Post by sh8un »

Thanx Niko. I can't wait. this is going to be fun.
NN
Cagso
Getting to Know You...

Post by Cagso »

I agree that this should be fun. Looks like John will need to lead the way, since most of us have never done this before. Just say the word!

-c
JFH
Family Elder

Post by JFH »

Looks like we got some eBay experts here - get you bid in right at the last minute.

Ok so I'll select a book (got one in mind but want to check that is still available thru Amazon etc) and post tomorrow.

This is quite exciting really :D
John
I am what I am
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

I'm looking forward to seeing the selection.