Multiple Sclerosis: The History of a Disease

Discuss your favorite books here
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Multiple Sclerosis: The History of a Disease

Post by lyndacarol »

People new to MS often ask what they can do. I think an understanding of history is important in every situation. To that end, I recommend that everyone start a library concerning MS and I think this book, Multiple Sclerosis: The History of a Disease by T. Jock Murray, OC, MD, is a good first acquisition.

It starts at the beginning with recognition of the disease, lists names and contributions of scientists, and offers a chronology of treatments.

I especially like the quote from Tracy Putnam, 1938: "Empiric forms of treatment have encouraged the optimist but a rational treatment can scarcely be expected before the pathogenesis of the disease is understood." This is also my basic belief! (As it must also be for The Accelerated Cure folks!)

Chapter 11, "Searching for a Cause of MS," and Chapter 13, "The Nature of the MS Plaque," offer much good information.

Did you know that as early as 1863 Eduard Rindfleisch suggested that MS is due to inflammation in the blood vessels and found these at the center of each sclerotic patch? Even Jean-Martin Charcot (big name in MS history of the 1860s!) gave a lecture with case drawings showing "thickening and obstruction of the small blood vessels." (By the way, insulin is known to thicken the walls of blood vessels!)
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Another person's recommendation, too

Post by lyndacarol »

I urge you all again to read this book (or even buy it so you can highlight portions, as I have!).

I contacted an MS researcher, recommended this book to him, and urged investigation into the insulin angle.

He replied quickly, said, "I agree that the Murray book is great," and is considering my interest in insulin. He promised to get back to me on that; I am encouraged.

The book is worth the money!
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Another fascinating tidbit

Post by lyndacarol »

I find more fascinating tidbits with each reading. This time I read on page 411 of Murray's book, "...prothrombin levels are increased in people with MS;" (a brand new fact to me!)

I have never had prothrombin level checked, but know it concerns blood clotting process. Excess insulin promotes bloodclots. (I do know my insulin levels are elevated.) Could these two be connected?

Perhaps the testing to establish the MS diagnosis should include bloodtests for prothrombin and insulin levels.

Again, I recommend this book for everyone's personal library!
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Wanted to pick up this thread again lyndacarol and continue the prothrombin discussion....

Jeff had a prothrombin time test done. His doc is still trying to understand the mystery of his petechia. Guess what? His prothrombin time is fast, meaning his blood clots too quickly and he has a high prothrombin level.

We're having the antiphospholipid test done next. Surprisingly, it was never done! The nurse at Jeff's GP's office has encouraged me to keep hunting...we'll continue to pursue the MS/blood clotting connection, and I'll share what we learn.
best,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com