Books that you re-read over and over

Discuss your favorite books here
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Books that you re-read over and over

Post by MrsGeorge »

Does anyone have books that you re-read over and over again? I do - I love new books but I have a few that I will re-visit at least once a year usually. Some of them are kids books some not but they just do something for me!

I have just picked up 'Goodnight Mr Tom' My Michelle Magorian. It is a kids book set during the evacuations of WWII but I would thorough;y recommend it to anyone!
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

I have read Emma by Jane Austen several times....can't think of anymore at the moment. Was listening to a radio program about this recently, and agrred with their choices...stuff like To Kill A Mockingbird....some books have it, most don't.....
Just_Me
Family Member

Post by Just_Me »

I know this is an old topic...

Books I've read again and again:
Harry Potter Series
Twilight Series
The Host
Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series

I have to have happy endings! No cheesy romance please - just gimme my happy endings!
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

My sister loves Janet Evanovich books. Have you read Mary Kay Andrews? Same kind of thing, and I like them better.
Just_Me
Family Member

Post by Just_Me »

whyRwehere wrote:My sister loves Janet Evanovich books. Have you read Mary Kay Andrews? Same kind of thing, and I like them better.
I don't think so thanks for the tip - I'll look in for her stuff. I read some Patterson and some Grafton but they are more serious & violent, especially Patterson. I like Evanovich because she makes me laugh.

Somebody told me of a series by Nancy Bush that starts out with Candy Apple Red that is supposed to be like Evanovich but I haven't gotten around to reading any yet.

I'm a little tired of the who-dun-it books but haven't found anything else I like lately.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

ok, just to warn you, I went to the amazon reviews of one of her books and someone said (I couldn't believe it!) something like they were expecting a southern Evanovich, but there wasn't a laugh for 50 pages. Well, there aren't as many jokes packed in, but I think the writing is similar and it is light romantic comedy...not really a detective story, although the Savannah Breeze one, does have some detecting in it. I'll have to look at the others you suggest, but really I just read anything I can get my hands on that is in English.
Just_Me
Family Member

Post by Just_Me »

I bet Janet Evanovich gets a laugh at how her books are compared to others! Candy Apple Red also had references to Stephanie Plum.

I requested Savannah Blues from the library. :)

The two authors I said above both write who-done-it series.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just_Me
Family Member

Post by Just_Me »

I love Flowers For Algernon :)
Greenfields
Family Member

Post by Greenfields »

The deeds of Paksinarrion by Elizebeth Moon
Lord of the Rings by the big T
The Belgariad by...

Mostly Fantasy sci-fi escape stuff.
ariehs
Family Member

Post by ariehs »

The two books I've read over he most times are The Giver by Lois Lowry and Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein.

I've read the whole Harry Potter series in three languages, and listened to both versions of the English audiobooks repeatedly. Jim Dale does a better job than Stephen Fry - even though I am a big fan of Stephen Fry.

I've read the whole Wheel Of Time series, by Robert Jordan (and Brian Sanderson), once through, but I listen to the audiobooks over and over.
Just_Me
Family Member

Post by Just_Me »

ariehs wrote:The two books I've read over he most times are The Giver by Lois Lowry and Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein.

I've read the whole Harry Potter series in three languages, and listened to both versions of the English audiobooks repeatedly. Jim Dale does a better job than Stephen Fry - even though I am a big fan of Stephen Fry.

I've read the whole Wheel Of Time series, by Robert Jordan (and Brian Sanderson), once through, but I listen to the audiobooks over and over.
Another audiobook lover! And a HP lover too! I wore out my Harry Potter audios on tape & had to get the CD's! I agree Jim Dale is better than Fry. I bought #1 by Fry just to see what it is like but didn't get the rest.

I'll have to check out the Wheel of Time series. Thanks for mentioning it.

Have you found this site yet? http://www.skaudiobooks.com. He sells 10 audiobooks for $50. They come in MP3 on one CD. Great price if you have to pay for the books. A free site for classics is http://librivox.org or of course the library is free but I've gotten audiobooks with damaged CDs from the library & that is a bit frustrating to have to wait for a replacemement.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i don't get new books that often so i end up in front of my bookshelf scanning for the one i remember least perfectly!

i have lots of kids/youth books that will never get old, like anne of green gables, all the Pern stuff by McCaffrey, swallows and amazons, playing beatie bow. skippy, the bush kangaroo. LOL!

i like historical fiction, so i've got a fair amount of jean m auel, dickens, sir walter scott (ivanhoe), rutherford, and the complete works of oscar wilde.

sci fi sure but it has to be decent, asimov or herbert. actually don't own much, that is probably an area where i could expand my re-reading library lol

fantasy, i have plenty of gabaldon and jordan...

i have some dan brown books too but the pattern got old by the third one so yeah.

also a fan of chomsky, klein, etc :) but i can only handle those infrequently :S

right now i am reading this:
The children of Aataentsic: a history of the Huron People to 1660
http://tinyurl.com/ylx5zky
but i don't think i'll re-read it! it's huge!
ariehs
Family Member

Post by ariehs »

Just_Me wrote:Have you found this site yet? http://www.skaudiobooks.com. He sells 10 audiobooks for $50. They come in MP3 on one CD. Great price if you have to pay for the books. A free site for classics is http://librivox.org or of course the library is free but I've gotten audiobooks with damaged CDs from the library & that is a bit frustrating to have to wait for a replacemement.
I used to get my audiotapes from the library, but when I switched to MP3 (usually on my iPod), I started to download my books from Audible.com. For USD$20/Mo I get any two audiobooks from their collection. Sometimes I end up with a list of audiobooks I have yet to hear, and other times I buy extras, but usually 2 books/mo does it for me. iTunes U also helps.
jimmylegs wrote:i don't get new books that often so i end up in front of my bookshelf scanning for the one i remember least perfectly!
I'll respond to that with one of my all-time favourite quotes:
"When I get a little money, I buy books; and if there is any left, I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus

I'm also getting into historical fiction more and more, but I haven't re-read anything of that genre yet. I suspect that I will start to soon, though.

I do have to add... I am bothered by Chomsky. Not only is he stupid and intolerant with his politics, but he is drastically overrated with his works on language. I do not understand how he became so well known. His writing deserves obscurity.
zinamaria
Family Elder

Post by zinamaria »

Use our libraries, is my first thought...
Personally I cannot get away from the classics, fiction specifically, especially when it comes to re-reading. It is my experience that mastery is rare, more so genius. I love Russian literature, Dostoevsky the most, and Chekhov short stories. Then there's V.Woolf, whose own life was plagued by illness, in fact she has a wonderful essay on illness.
I always thought Melville was too much for me until I read Moby Dick recently and once again was filled with a sense of unbounded humanity.
Oh, and Madame Bovary!

And then there is Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Are Watching God, have read this one four times and could pick it up at any moment just to hear Janie talk about her love for Tea Cake...hot and sexy and masterfully written. And James Baldwin, or Carson McCullers, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter...

And poetry, always poetry to keep me rooted in the mysteries of life.

Those are some of my favorites...
Keep reading, and writing, for those of you who secretly jot down your thoughts, you know who you are!
Peace,
Zinamaria

Return to “Reading Nook”