why Rebif?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Rebif
ga_kristy
Getting to Know You...

why Rebif?

Post by ga_kristy »

what made you choose Rebif over the other CRABS? My son will have to start one soon, and Im torn between which one we should go with. His Dr. asked me to research them and decide. They both have good and bad sides. Side effects, times etc.

Maybe you all could give me more ideas on which one?
Thank you.

kristy
seelie
Family Member

Post by seelie »

Kristy,

It can become easy (at least for me) to get stuck in Analysis Paralysis. If this then this, maybe, but not always, but if I .... you know what I mean. Sounds like you're actively there. Lots of us have switched several times and found something that we think works best for us. I'm not sure you can get to 100% sure - so quit trying (my advice)

I can make as many arguments for starting/staying on Avonex as I can for Rebif. And if you've read around this board, many folks would recommend neither.

But I say (just an MSer - Not a Doc - I'm a computer geek) that if you've got the diagnosis - get him on one of the disease modifying drugs ASAP. He can always change if it's not going well for him later.

For myself. I chose Rebif after taking Avonex for a long time - then having a nasti attack. I decided I wanted to try something "stronger". Most folks and docs will tell you the choice between Beta or Rebif is sort of a wash. I wish you both the best.

Hugz n Blessed Be )O(
=Greg

P.S. He's not going to enjoy the initial doses of Interferon no matter which one you select.
I'm learning to breathe under water. It's quite beautiful down here.

I used to think that if I tried, I would drown.
carolsue
Family Elder

Post by carolsue »

I chose Rebif over Avonex because of the head-to-head trial that indicated that Rebif was more effective. I can't say that the thought of an intramuscular injection was thrilling me either.

I chose Rebif over Betaseron because it's 3x per week, not every other day. That's a couple fewer injections per month. Also, the 3x per week gives me some flexibility. Some weeks I do MWF, some weeks it might be MWSat, or TuThSat, you get the point.

The injection site reactions and bruising are annoying, at best, but I have managed not to let them get me down!

good luck to your son.

Return to “Rebif”