rebif---

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Rebif
lynn45
Getting to Know You...

rebif---

Post by lynn45 »

Has anyone experienced hives or itching related to rebif? I have been on rebif for 6 months and have been having bouts of itching and a rash. I have been using 44mcg but have been told to go off rebif for one week and start back at a half dose. Just wondered if anyone else had had that experience.
pathockett

Post by pathockett »

:roll:

Hi...I have seen it mentioned afew times before bu can anyone tell me what are hives....many thanks........patricia
DawnsBrain
Family Member

Post by DawnsBrain »

I am on Rebif and thus far, I've not experienced either of these. Have you talked with your neuro about this?
DawnsBrain
Family Member

Post by DawnsBrain »

pathockett wrote::roll:

Hi...I have seen it mentioned afew times before bu can anyone tell me what are hives....many thanks........patricia
hives are splotches on the skin....red usually and can itch. Usually a reaction to something. I get them when I take morphein b/c I am allergic to it.
pathockett

Post by pathockett »

THANK YOU
this is my second week on rebif, ive got red marks but i didnt knw what hives were i dont understand most of the words people use .
Bobble43
Getting to Know You...

Post by Bobble43 »

Lynn45--Been on Rebif since 3/04. Reddened areas from injections but no itching or hives. I always think of hives as not only reddened areas that itch, but elevated and swollen. Perhaps you're having an allergic reaction? Maybe an antihistamine would help. I would certainly let your neuro. know about this. :) Bobble43
DawnsBrain
Family Member

Post by DawnsBrain »

I have experienced my feet itching after an injection. Of course, that usually is nothing compared to the flu sx's that I eventually get every injection.
pathockett

Post by pathockett »

So far so good for me....I only have small red hives on my injection site but at this moment no side effects what so ever...I was expecting the flu symptoms etc but have had nothing at all. How long should it take for the hives to go down . I still have the first one on my stomach from my first injection 2 weeks ago..Is this too long.......?? :D
lynn45
Getting to Know You...

rebif ...hives

Post by lynn45 »

I spoke with my neurologist about the itching and hives, she said to take one week off then start back at half doses, then a week of 3/4 then back to full dose, also did blood work to check liver....still have some itching but hives have subsided...I am currently on a week of half dose (22mcg) Dr thinks that it could be an allegic reaction and that we may have to look at a different therapy if it doesn't subside. ....where I inject can be red up to 2 weeks, have been on it 6 months, I usually rotate with a week at belly, a week at butt and a week at thigh...thanks for the replies....I am having an mri soon and I am anxious to see there are any new lesions...I guess it would help to know that this is helping..since I don't care for the injections much...Appreciated the replies..Has anyone out there read about a change in the size of the needle with rebif? I read that it was going to change to smaller and sharper but never saw a time for it to be out there.

Post by Guest »

I do find my inj sites take a little longer to clear since moving up to the full dose. Guess that is just the nature of the full dose. I have not had the itiching feet again. I alternate just as you do Lynn and usually by the time I get back to oh let's say the arms the lump and redness are gone.

I hope you find an answer to the hives/itching you are experiencing. Why did the neuro think reducing your dose and then building back up might produce diff results? Just curious.
DawnsBrain
Family Member

Post by DawnsBrain »

Sorry Lynn, that was my post previously. Duh,,I forgot to sign in. LOL
mscaregiver
Volunteer Moderator

Post by mscaregiver »

Hives

http://www.aad.org/pamphlets/Urticaria.html

-----------------------------

Rebif :Injection site reaction
From:http://www.msaustralia.org.au/msinformation/rebif.htm

Correct injection technique can minimise injection site reaction. However, no matter how carefully you inject rebif® you may still get injection site reactions.
The following may be helpful in managing this common side effect:

Before the injection, allow the cold rebif® solution to reach room temperature.

Rotate the injection sites. Use at least three different areas for injections.
Some areas are more sensitive than others.
Try all the areas and use the sites that don't react as much.

The use of a rebiject™, a device used to inject the medication at the correct rate and depth is available free of charge from the NSW MS Society or from Serono Australia Pty. Ltd.
If you find some fluid left on your skin after the injection, the next time hold the rebiject™ in place while you count SLOWLY up to 10.

If the area around the injection site becomes red within 1 hour you may be having a reaction to the alcohol swab. You need to wait for the alcohol to dry before you inject rebif®.
If you are already doing this - try without using the swab.
Don't use the alcohol swab on the injection site after the injection.

The 4 injection sites/areas are the abdomen, thighs, buttocks and arms. Instructions are as follows:

The abdomen
The area between the ribs, pubic bone and hips.
Lean forward until a roll of skin (fat) is formed, this is the site that should be injected.
Avoid the area around the navel and waistband. Two fingers from the navel is safe for injecting.

The buttocks
You need to sit down on a hard chair or stool. The side of the buttocks from the hips to the chair is the injection area. The area you sit on and 3cm either side of the crease should not be injected.

The thighs
You need to sit right back on the seat with your legs straight out and no weight on them. This brings the soft tissue (fat) closer to the surface. To measure the injection site place one hand on top of the thigh at the groin and the other hand on the thigh fingers touching the knee. The area between the hands on top and the outside of the thigh are the injection sites. The inside of the thigh should not be injected.

The arms
The arms are not recommended; if this site has to be used, measure the site by imagining a line across the arm from the base of the armpit and placing your hand above your elbow. The back of the arm between the armpit and the hand is the injection site.

Do not pinch the skin it may force some of the medication back to the surface. Use the rebiject™ on an area with most fat.
Do not rub the area after the injection, apply gentle pressure to the injection site for a minute or two this will assist the injection site to close and heal.

Ice applied before and after the injection can reduce the discomfort of the injection and may reduce the site reactions.

"Stop Itch", xylocaine gel or other preparations used for stings or sunburn may reduce injection site reactions that are painful, itchy or sting. These agents should not be applied until 6 hours after the injection.

If the marks are pain-free ask your doctor to write a script for 1% hydrocortisone cream.

· If necrotic skin lesions develop it may be necessary to discontinue treatment or change to another medication. Speak to your doctor.
DawnsBrain
Family Member

Thanks

Post by DawnsBrain »

mscaregiver
Thank you so very much for posting this info.
It seems I am going to have to use the abdomen I'd been avoiding using. I have lost quite a bit of weight since I started injecitons and the arms are becoming less and less useful as a place to inject although it states not to really use them.
Again, thanks for the information. For me, it is always good to re-read any kind of information such as this. Thus far, I am fitting in to that normal site reaction category.
lynn45
Getting to Know You...

Post by lynn45 »

Dawnsbrain, I am not sure on why the lower dose, unless she is being cautious until my blood work gets done. I was off for one week and am having my first relapse since before I started rebif...I have really bad neck pain and leg heaviness and tingling. Also, thanks mscaregiver for the injection info and the link.
pathockett

New size needle

Post by pathockett »

Hi Lynn45

I am using the new size needle for rebif. it has just been started with here in the uk. i am also using the new autojet which is a lot smoother to operate than the demo one i was shown of the old version. i never used the old rebif needle size so i dont know the difference but it is smalller than what i was shown at first but i still have the red marks. i injected last night for the first time in the thigh and it hurt a little more but has left no mark at all. i am only on 22ml so far and i change to 44ml in a months time. the rebif kit i have is quite a lot more than i expected. i have travel bags, cool blocks, weekend travel bags and the injector. the good thing is here in uk it is all free of charge and includes direct delivery which given the cost of the injections it would be impossible to afford normally.

Pat

Return to “Rebif”