Another new adventure - Natgas's antibiotic log

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
kitkat2
Family Member

Post by kitkat2 »

Anybody know the etiology of the swelling in feet/ankles? My son noticed my swollen feet/ankles (Left>right] the other day and asked about it.
Holding out hope for Liberation!
LisaBee
Family Elder

Post by LisaBee »

Regarding burning eyes:

I had noticed problems with my eyes for several months that came to a head by late summer. They were burning, and felt like something was stuck in them even though nothing was there. Then my eyelids started looking red and irritated. Getting through a day was getting harder. Using OTC natural tears eyedrops brought me less an less relief. The problem worsened later into the day and my eyes felt very fatigued. Sometimes it would seem to get better, then worsen again.

I finally went to an eye doctor and was diagnosed with blepharitis, which is an eyelid inflammation, and is a fairly common problem. Treatment per the doctor involved cleaning the edges of my eyelids with either baby shampoo or eyelid cleaning pads, and applying topical metronidazole gel at the base of my eyelashes with a Q-tip. Recovery was pretty rapid, but the doctor warned me that I will have to keep up with the regimen, or the problem will come back. Although I am at the point I don't have to do this every day like I was doing to initially recover, if I get lazy and skip very many days the problem creeps back.

I don't know if this has anything to do with MS or not, taking antibiotics or not, etc. I just put it out to people as something to maybe get checked out with an eye doctor, because I had a problem with it a lot longer than I needed to. I just thought my eyes were dry

Lisa
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Anybody know the etiology of the swelling in feet/ankles? My son noticed my swollen feet/ankles (Left>right] the other day and asked about it.
Probably a disturbance of the autonomic nervous system since the organism is very strongly neurotropic. You might also find at some point a certain amount of mottling around the ankles. Don't worry, it all goes. I can now wear ballet pumps without looking out of proportion. :wink:

Hello Roy, how are you doing? :D

Sarah
Last edited by SarahLonglands on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
kitkat2
Family Member

Post by kitkat2 »

Thank you, Sarah! This helps a lot. I do notice some mottling as well. It's not horrible, just a 'nuisance'. I take it in stride. I only wish I could wear ballet pumps--I have not been able to walk in heels for years. I have cervical and thoracic lesions, so I'm not expecting perfection, but an improvement would certainly be a blessing! :wink:

Kitkat2 :)
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I only wish I could wear ballet pumps--I have not been able to walk in heels for years.
Ah-hah, but ballet pumps are perfectly flat, hardly a sole never mind a heel. :wink: They just look funny with swollen ankles. I still can't wear proper heels, the most I can manage is an inch and a half wedge. Not a great disadvantage though, because I am quite tall - four inch heels and I would be towering over my husband! Also, they aren't good for you. 8O

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
kitkat2
Family Member

Post by kitkat2 »

Thanks, Sarah!! I feel much better now in my flat mules. Kind of stylish. :wink:
natgas
Family Member

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by natgas »

Hello folks,

How's everyone doing?

Not for sure what the cause is KK2, but mine is due to inactivity.

Not for sure Sarah seems I've taken several steps backwards. Is this common? Mental fog is back big time.

The eyes are about the same. Thanks Lisa for the head-up about the metronidazole.

Roy
The hurrier I go the behinder I get....
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Not for sure Sarah seems I've taken several steps backwards. Is this common? Mental fog is back big time.
Yes, don't worry. You will soon lose the fog once more: your system is just having a clear out. How is your wife doing, though? PM me if you want.

Sarah :)
natgas
Family Member

Post by natgas »

Hello folks,

Terry (DW) is doing just fine on the abx sofar. Thanks for asking Sarah. She may PM you over the weekend.

In the last couple days several things have happened. Thursday morning around 1 the spasticity came back w/ a vengeance, not just in the legs but all over, took about an hour for all this to calm down. Then had a fever after that of 101 degrees. Never felt bad though.

Last night was the fever again. Didn't feel bad, but woke up in a sweat when the fever broke. Is this common w/ abx?

Roy
yguner
Family Member

Post by yguner »

Hi Roy,

I have had the same reactions too.I think it is common w/abx.

good luck with the treatment,

Guner
On CAP's protocol for Cpn in PPMS since June 2004 - Currently: Doxy 100mgx2/day - Roxy 150mgx2/day - Flagyl 500mgx3/day (Continuous protocol since sept.2006)
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

I haven't had a fever but I have had night sweats and also felt lousy: sore throat funny nose sneezing even, itchy eyes that feel dry, stomach wierdenss. I have had to cut back on activities not essential. I hope this is comforting. We'll get through this though huh?
Blessings
Marie
kitkat2
Family Member

Post by kitkat2 »

Roy, no hot flushes or fevers, per se, but Marie...I feel the same as you do [wierd sore throats, sniffly, sneezy feeling, burning eyes etc]
Funny how much is sounds like allergies, or a cytokine response really, I suppose.

I have noticed my sinuses feel the clearest in years! I feel things "moving" and "opening up". It's great!
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Hi, all - For me, just the opposite... sinuses still feel stuffy and lots of 'movement' inside (honestly, as if something was 'rotating' in there). It's subsiding now and my nose is drippy a lot of the time, though that may be the NAC twice daily (thanks, David). I have a feeling a lot of the cpn concentration has been there (sinuses), as I've had sinus problems for years and years. Perhaps it was just a short hop from sinus cpn infection to brain cpn infection when my vitamin D level went to nil the last two years? (I truly had not been in the sun for nearly two years, due to a temporary work situation.) Still no bad reactions, really. I notice ears feel like they want to 'pop' (like after a plane trip) on days I take the Azithromycin.
Last edited by MacKintosh on Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
natgas
Family Member

Post by natgas »

Hello folks,

Well it looks as if it was a bladder infection causing all the problems.

Anyone heard from life on the ice lately?

How's everyone else making it?

Roy
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Well, I bet you are glad about that! Though that sounds an odd thing to say, really.:?

'Ice is back from her hols., because I have seen her name on CPn Help, but I guess she has so much to catch up with patient wise since she got back. That's the trouble with being a physician.

Sarah :)