Overwhelmed with supplement info!!! Advice please??

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Overwhelmed with supplement info!!! Advice please??

Post by jimmylegs »

heya!

ok mag oxide is not easily absorbed. you could break the pills in half and keep taking them to get it used up, but next time you're shopping, mag oxide is not the best bang for your buck.
idea: see if you can find mag citrate or mag glycinate. or both. then you could do half a mag oxide in the morning with the d3, and in the afternoon you could alternate a mag citrate one day and a mag glycinate the next.

personally i did best when i took no mag oxide, and half and half with the mag citrate and mag glycinate. i have to take it easy with mag glycinate or it relaxes my muscles TOO much. i recently started taking mag glycinate daily when i ran out of citrate, and it caused some side effects. still have to get out to the shops to restock on mag citrate.

i would drop the calcium to one pill per day..

for zinc, try to find a product with 50mg zinc and 2-3 mg copper.

very glad to hear you have a positive doc!! i'll keep an eye open for results :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
mpalla
Family Member

Post by mpalla »

Yaaaay! I got today all the tests you suggested! Should have them in a few days.
Will let you know JL.....thanks again!
Diagnosed 2-13-13. RRMS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

excellent! do you mean you have the requisition, or the tests are done and you are waiting for results? either way, fantastic to hear that you have some info coming along! looking forward to updates :)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
mpalla
Family Member

Post by mpalla »

I got blood done Wednesday! Just waiting now.....thanks for the heads up on the magnesium and stuff. Re reading so I can get them right. Thanks again.:)
Diagnosed 2-13-13. RRMS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

nice! I am waiting for my latests results too.

I can't recall if you were doing a washout beforehand?

and, no probs! :D
mpalla
Family Member

Post by mpalla »

Yes...off tecfidera sat, sun re tried Monday and done after second pill. Then blood tests Wednesday.

The hospital called me back today...going next week for a check up and after that an MRI to see if a relapse or an existing because the same neck and right arm are messed up, numb and worrisome. I told her of the tecfidera mouth sores and overall doo doo feeling then sick and do it twice a day.they suggested try again...lower dose. I am afraid...the drs have made me. You don't take drugs of any kind? Have you posted your story and time frame anywhere? I was just curious to read if you had issues and were scared too. I hate MS and I think I hate the drugs as much....side effects like I've had can't be good for anyone. Killing me either way....
Thanks JL....just a junky few days!
Diagnosed 2-13-13. RRMS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ah good :) but, ... I meant a supplement washout hehe no matter we just have to keep that in mind when your results come in.

I don't take drugs.. i'm a boycotter by nature and while I had to bend on some things when I got sick (ie, no longer vegan), the pharma boycott wavered only briefly (ie the rebif info pkg arrived at the house while I was still in the 'save me, doctor!' phase), but in the end it held and I canceled the initial nurse visit.

obviously certain drugs have value.. for example all things considered even though i'm not keen on the idea of a general anaesthetic, I am going to be pretty happy such a thing exists when my surgery date arrives.

all the same, on a day to day basis, I haven't found much other than nutrients that can convince me to spend my money. I spent quite a bit on therapeutic-dose supplements the first few yrs, now I spend a way higher proportion on high quality food. I buy a number of things straight from local family farms.

this is my whooole story, all 44 pages of it to date: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... c2489.html
starts with the summary, but then gets into the whole journey starting in 06.

at some pt i'll have to find a meaningful way to chart my bloodwork results over time. brm's chart is great did u see it? for me, I think the easiest thing to start with would be pulling my blood results out from amongst the rest of the info I've posted. but even that can be hard to interpret. need to spend more time with charts and graphics..

hang in there m, hopefullyyou will feel better soon. have you managed to find mag citrate or mag glycinate yet? I am low on lots of things.. was supposed to be going on a field trip wed to visit an acquaintance's supplement store, but we had to cancel so i'm still out of a few things until my next physio apt, which will get me in range of a good shop to stock up at.

hope you feel better soon!
mpalla
Family Member

Post by mpalla »

Thanks for sharing. They have me in the scared loop currently. I hate the feeling and hope that I get answers on this pill. I'm going to boycott pharma and their bazillions of dollars profit. I hope the MRI doesn't show new...I'm afraid it will. I have a new headache spot...kinda scary to me. Going to read your journey....maybe it will inspire me to go to nutrition avenue. I need to go to vitamin world tomorrow. The vita section at the store all four kinds of mg were oxide.
Thanks again for sharing JL! I appreciate your expertise and dedication to the cause!
Have a great night!
Diagnosed 2-13-13. RRMS.
mpalla
Family Member

Post by mpalla »

Wow JL...pg 9. Definitely going to get mg. How do you do melatonin? Also A! Since I'm going to vita world. My son takes 15mg to sleep.....
I'm excited you figure out your throat issue.....I hope it will fix mine....neurologist says lesions in neck...will keep reading tomorrow. Crazy info you got! Awesome!:)
Diagnosed 2-13-13. RRMS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

lol p.9 what, you like my hi test vit d3? hehehe
more tomo, nitey nte
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

mpalla wrote:Wow JL...pg 9. Definitely going to get mg. How do you do melatonin? Also A! Since I'm going to vita world. My son takes 15mg to sleep...
Here's an article on Dr. Oz's site that recommends a dosage of 0.3-1.0 mg of melatonin. It also states that it can be toxic at higher doses.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/melatoni ... llet-sleep

In addition, you may also want to watch the accompanying video on melatonin.

Part 1: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/melatoni ... sleep-pt-1
Part 2: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/melatoni ... sleep-pt-2
Part 3: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/melatoni ... sleep-pt-3
Part 4: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/melatoni ... sleep-pt-4
mpalla
Family Member

Post by mpalla »

Wow...as you can tell...I need sleep too. Freaked me out on dose and kid. It was 10 mg..that's going to have to stop....as we got 15 from his doctor because he has issues and big sleep issues. Always has...especially now at 16. Thank you so much NHE. Have a restful eve. Lol
Diagnosed 2-13-13. RRMS.
mpalla
Family Member

Post by mpalla »

Wow JL...that wh foods site is full of info.
Awaiting my check to come and getting more vitamins.....read your posts more and getting a few others also.....should get my blood work info maybe tomorrow or fri. Curious what the numbers are....easy to feel good!
Diagnosed 2-13-13. RRMS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

great resource isn't it!! glad you're getting sorted out. will check back for updates :)
mpalla
Family Member

Post by mpalla »

JL...don't have my results for blood tests back. Some two week Thyroid test I am waiting on I'm told. Checking tomorrow...have to get copies fr my new neurologist appt on Monday.
Diagnosed 2-13-13. RRMS.