My regimen(s)

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

clonus is a sign of spasticity

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:55 pm

hiya cool that the spasticity is decreasing. if the vibration is the same as what i had tested at the physio, each time you snap an ankle or a wrist or i've even had a doc test my leg by yanking my knee up toward my chest, there will be a series of "beats", the muscle response to the action. spastic muscles have more beats. so yes, it is called clonus, and you are right about the spasticity/hyperreflexia idea
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby CureOrBust » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:08 am

and another point. and here is the graph, so you wont have to flip back a page. Remember to refresh the page to get the latest image.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:04 am

and another point
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby SarahLonglands » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:19 am

Heaven's above, I can't keep up with this! Its making me dizzy. What will you do when you get to October? Its not long off. And don't forget the egg race on CPn Help.

Sarah :)
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Postby mrhodes40 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:45 am

What an absolutely neat graph and effort! I agree withyou cure-o that exercise is vital to healing. I'm going to post my own experience iwth that in my thread so I don't go off topic, but I realy want to thank you for making a truly measurable record of your improvements.

marie
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:18 am

and another point. Not a good direction, but it does map to how i have felt of late.

I have just got a script for minocycline, so tomorrow I will start on this medication. I will be dropping the doxycycline (part of the ABX's regimine), and replace it with mino.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:34 am

and another two points.

It seems to be heading in the right direction. However, my ataxia is really very bad right now. Maybe its the effects of mino on balance that i have read about. I have tried B6, and it didnt seem to make a difference.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby SarahLonglands » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:46 am

CureO, why did you swap doxycycline for minocycline? Thinking about the ataxia here......Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:05 am

I have been thinking of doing this for a while now. I asked over on CPn Help a while back, and from what I read, it seemed an option as a swap with the doxy.

The reason I guess is to cover my bases. Mino is getting press regarding its benefits for MS. I saw this as a way to stick to the abx's and possibly gain some benefit from whatever mino has to offer as well.

As for the ataxia, all i read implied it was reversible with B6 supplimentation.

My doctor wrote a short term script for the mino, so we could check to ensure i didnt go downhill or anything. Although my walking has gone downhill a little in the last few weeks, its nothing i can attribute directly to the mino. The flagyl pulse I think had more of a detrimental effect (at this stage) on my walking.

I think my doctor may also be more comfortable with prescribing mino long term, as i think he does so for acne already. I am also soon to see my neuro, and I think he would be more positive towards mino as well; and therefore not pressure my gp to stop the abx scripts. I have yet to speak to him about abx's. It will be an interesting appointment I think with all the treatments i have tried since i last saw him. It will also be a chance to get an MRI scheduled as well.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby SarahLonglands » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:17 am

Well, that sounds sensible so lets hope you get on better with him than I do with mine! Email me if you would like a copy of Stratton and David's paper to show him, because I guess not many neurologists read "Trends in Microbiology"

Sarah 8)
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Postby ljm » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:14 pm

Somehow, I missed reading anywhere that minocycline can cause ataxia, but its just temporary, right? No long term impact? I just tried to google.
ljm
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:02 am

nope, your correct. I have never read that it causes ataxia either. However, it has been known to cause balance type issues, which when combined with ataxia, would not be pleasant. and supposedly reversible with b6.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby sojourner » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:24 am

Just curious Cureo,
How much B6 will you supplement with?

Thanks, Lexy
sojourner
Family Member

Postby CureOrBust » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:08 am

I have no actual plans. I take a b complex that has 100mg in it. But I have recently tried up to 400mg on its own.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:13 am

and another point.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens