Couple Supplement Questions for Jimmylegs

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
koopico
Family Member

Couple Supplement Questions for Jimmylegs

Post by koopico »

Hi JL!
I hope you don't mind my asking you questions you've no doubt answered a million times before!

Do you still recommend magnesium glycinate as the best form in a supplement? Any particular brand you recommend?

Also, what form of calcium is best? I I've tried to research this for a very long time, and for the life of me, can't figure it out! People I've asked at vitamin stores never seem to know either!

So, oh, wise one--I turn to you! :D
Thanks so much!

Koopico
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi koop, yes depending on how each individual reacts, glycinate is best absorbed. i need to take it before a meal to ensure it gets shoved out of the stomach and into the intestines quickly. otherwise if it hangs out in my stomach i get a cough. my doc tested me for acid reflux and it came back positive. i can only assume that the easily-absorbed magnesium relaxed my lower oesophageal sphincter.

as for calcium, "Fractional calcium absorption in the normal subjects was 0.243 +/- 0.049 for citrate and 0.225 +/- 0.108 for carbonate (not significant)."

looks like citrate is marginally better than carbonate. absorption is improved by having proper vit D status, consumption of vit C, and apparently the amino acid lysine.

hope that helps!

jimmylegs
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
koopico
Family Member

Post by koopico »

Thanks so much, JL!

(BTW, Koop is one of my dog's names (the other is Pico)--and he very much appreciated you mentioning his name!)
:D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

lol!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.