MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:00 am

hi px,

the short answer is that i'm doing great, and no major symptoms. i would say at my worst i was about a 5.0, and now i would say i'm probably edss 1.0, but i'm not sure if numbness is a 'sign' or a 'disability'.

for the long answer, the main thing that has not resolved since dx is the numbness in my hands. i have a bulging disk in my neck which may have done some permanent damage to my compromised cervical cord (from the b12 deficiency) when i wiped out in 2006, right before dx. i also have carpal tunnel issues so that's part of the picture too.

i'm much better than the couple weeks right after dx, but given the lasting damage, i do still lose some functionality when i really exert myself.

other than that, any new symptoms in the last 3 years turned out to be deficiencies i had not previously identified, and which have mostly resolved.

for example during '07 after a couple of years of high-dosing d3 without appropriate levels of mineral intake i ended up with that confusion while driving (zinc deficiency) and the scary dysphagia (magnesium works pretty well but i still have to clear my throat more often than normal - my vocal instructor says it is acid reflux but i don't get heartburn so that's somewhat unusual).

anyway, imbalances happen i guess - when you're guinea-pigging yourself you can accidentally throw things off.

hope you are doing well too - ttfn,
JL
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby patientx » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:41 pm

I'm doing ok, except for not knowing what "ttfn" means. :)

i was curious how you nutrition program was translating to clinical experience. Glad to hear things are going well.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:11 am

tigger's acronym for 'ta ta for now' :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkA_96QHGB4
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:30 am

called the doc about the selenium today. i have been waiting for that result from jun 19 bloodwork. it's not in yet. called the lab. it is the one test i had to pay for and they have lost my sample. they messed up my vit A and E too, putting them in the wrong colour vials. oh well they're usually a good lab by and large. i will have to run over and see if they will re-do A, E, and Se (without a new lab req or any new payment for the Se!).
le sigh.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:50 pm

luckily all they had to do was make a couple phone calls and request a fax of the original requisition. i can expect results on vit A, vit E and selenium next week.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:53 pm

ps, i finally figured out there is natural vitamin E in my omega 3 fish oil capsule, and it doesn't say how much.
so whenever i have been taking an E supplement, this has been in addition to dietary E, plus whatever's in the fish oil, AND whatever's in my multi.
i think that spells 'mystery solved'!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:43 pm

found a neat soil selenium map - shows canada and US.
http://www.saanendoah.com/map1.html
i was posting in april in response to mention of therapies that help elevate glutathione. i found at that time that zinc helps raise it.
now that i'm looking at selenium, turns out that helps raise glutathione levels also:
Selenium supplementation in healthy Belgian adults: response in platelet glutathione peroxidase activity and other blood indices
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/48/1/139
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 am

found a couple of reference ranges for selenium, and conversion info:
0.90 to 2.00 µmol/L
1.02 to 1.91 µmol/L OR 80 to 150 µg/L (molecular weight of Se is 78.96)

sources:

http://www.trace-elements.org.uk/trace- ... /selenium/
0.2 to 0.9 µmol/L (0 to 2 years)
0.5 to 1.3 µmol/L (2 to 4 years)
0.7 to 1.7 µmol/L (4 to 16 years)
0.9 to 2.0 µmol/L (Adults)

< 0.3 µmol/L (in adult) - supplementation may be required
> 2.5 µmol/L (in adult) - possible toxicity

http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/ ... 70-00228v1
Selenium Toxicity: A Case of Selenosis Caused by a Nutritional Supplement 17 June 2008 | Volume 148 Issue 12
Background: Selenium is a nonmetal element that serves vital roles in normal physiologic function. Substantial toxicity can occur with excessive selenium consumption...
Objective: To describe the clinical features of a patient with selenium toxicity after ingesting Total Body Formula Peach Nectar liquid supplement with a selenium formulation error.
...The supplement’s stated ingredients included multiple vitamins and trace minerals and elements, including selenium.
...Her serum selenium level was markedly elevated at 534 µg/L (6.76 µmol/L) (reference range, 80 to 150 µg/L [1.02 to 1.91 µmol/L]). Her spot urinary selenium level was also elevated at 220 µg/L (2.79 µmol/L) (reference range, <150 µg/L [<1.91 µmol/L])

22-11-2011 update: conversion info (04-2013 update - need to revisit this. why is the analyte zinc??)

Analyte: zinc
Specimen: serum/plasma
Reference Range, Conventional: 58-234
Conventional Unit: mg/L
Conversion Factor (Multiply by): 0.0127
Reference Range, SI: 0.74-2.97
SI Unit: mmol/L
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:48 am

okay so, the selenium, vit A and vit E are back at last.

my selenium is a little high at 2.28 µmol/L or 180 µg/L, so i can back off on that for a while.

vit A is 2.38 vs 2.33 from the previous test.

my vit E (alpha-tocopherol) is fine at 29.9, down from 57.6 last time (normal 7.0 - 36.7). i am not sure from my lab printouts whether that 'normal range' is in mg/L or µmol/L... but i'm leaning towards µmol/L.
either way, still don't think i have a 'target' value inside the normal range for this nutrient.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:23 am

i read something that put me a little off calcium a while back, so i experimented with not taking my calcium for the last week (i have been off the d3 too, pending my next lab requisition - to be obtained at my physical appt next week).
anyway, it suuuuuuuucked. my throat was awful, and my right eye started 'tic'-ing like mad.
i gave in and took some calcium yesterday eve, only about 150mg, and ate a bunch of kale and broccoli for dinner.
it's like night and day. no eye-twitchy nonsense, throat much improved, whew.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:37 pm

got some messages from my doc's office that the d3 is now "okay", no longer too high.
have to wait until business hours to call in for the date and the actual result.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:44 am

interesting aside:
"Women are a group of drug consumers who should be especially concerned with Drug-Induced Nutrient Depletion. Few women know that oral contraceptives lower the levels of vital nutrients such as Vitamin B2, B6 and B12, Vitamin C, Folic Acid, Magnesium and Zinc."
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

BHG item concerning vitamin D and Thyroid

Postby lyndacarol » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:03 pm

In the January 2010 issue of Better Homes and Gardens is this item on page 124:

Recent research has found that a deficiency of vitamin D, the so-called sunshine vitamin, may increase risk of osteoporosis, breast cancer, hypertension, and multiple sclerosis.

The Number: 35 You want to have circulating levels of vitamin D higher than 35 ng/mL (nanograms per milliliter), measured by a blood test.

Take Action: Fifteen minutes of sun exposure on bare arms, face, or neck two to three times a week boosts D levels without causing sunburn, according to Dr. Shelly Wroth, a physician at the Duke University Center for Integrative Medicine.

THYROID
Thyroid problems become more common as we age, and symptoms can mimic those of other conditions. A thyroid stimulating hormone test -- a simple blood test -- diagnosis thyroid problems.

The Number: 0.4-4.0 mlU/L (milli-international units per liter) Some labs may report this differently, so have your doctor explain the results.

Take Action: There isn't much you can do on your own. If your numbers indicate a problem, your doctor will go overmedication options with you

This article seems to reinforce the importance of testing your numbers, just as Kathryn R. Simpson emphasizes in her book, The MS Solution.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Orthomolecular Biochemistsry (formerly Mega D)

Postby NHE » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:25 am

Recent research has found that a deficiency of vitamin D, the so-called sunshine vitamin, may increase risk of osteoporosis, breast cancer, hypertension, and multiple sclerosis.

The Number: 35 You may want to have circulated in levels of vitamin D higher than 35 ng/mL (nanograms per milliliter), measured by a blood test.

Just in case anyone was wondering, 35 ng/mL is to equivalent 87.5 nmol/L so it's still a bit less than a target of 150 nmol/L.

To do the calculation, divide by the molecular weight of 25-hydroxy vitamin D3, 400.17 ng/nmol, and then multiply by 1000 mL/L.

Chemistry is fun :idea:

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:43 am

oh NHE you're such a card :D
thanks for this, and yes it still bugs me that the status quo vit D info is talking about osteoporosis. i mean heck we may as well talk rickets FCOL.
'so-called'?
hey, where's that abstract i gleefully posted, citing less than 100 as insufficient??
also, for that conversion you can multiply by 2.496 :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens