MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:54 pm

see if this had been published when i got diagnosed it could have been a whole different story. well except for the problem with my doc's computer system that is.

anyway. deja vu!! they should have treated more than b12 though, poor man.

Nutrition Volume 23, Issue 7, Pages 622-624 (July 2007)

Irreversible subacute sclerotic combined degeneration of the spinal cord in a vegan subject
Objective
We describe a case of irreversible subacute sclerotic combined degeneration of the spinal cord in a Western vegan subject.

Methods
A 57-y-old man, member of a vegan cult for 13 y, developed weakness, paraplegia, hyper-reflexia, distal symmetric muscular hypotrophy, impairment of superficial sensation in the hands and feet, loss of deep sensation in the lower limbs, and neurogenic bladder and bowel. Magnetic resonance imaging of the cervical and dorsal spine disclosed abnormally increased signal intensity on T2-weighted sections in the posterior and lateral columns. Subacute sclerotic combined degeneration of the spinal cord was diagnosed and treatment with cobalamin was started.

Results
Despite rehabilitative treatment, the patient developed spastic hypertonia with mild improvement of paresthesias. Six months later, vitamin B12 plasma levels and hematological analysis were normal. One year later, spastic paraplegia was still present and the patient was unable to walk despite improvement on magnetic resonance imaging.

Conclusion
Irreversible subacute sclerotic combined degeneration of the spinal cord is a rare but possible effect of a strict vegetarian diet.
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:27 pm

wish i had the data on this one, to see where exactly the vegans sat within the 'normal range' for serum zinc! i would like to know if they were in the ms range at the low end or still higher up in the healthy control end. and this is only talking about 8 weeks. after 15 years i was most definitely NOT in the normal range, not even as close to as high as your typical ms-er.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/67/3/421.abstract
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 67, 421-430
Zinc absorption, mineral balance, and blood lipids in women consuming controlled lactoovovegetarian and omnivorous diets for 8 wk
JR Hunt, LA Matthys and LK Johnson
Zinc absorption, mineral balance, and blood lipid concentrations were measured in 21 women aged 33 +/- 7 y (range: 20-42 y) consuming controlled lactoovovegetarian and nonvegetarian diets for 8 wk each in a crossover design. The lactoovovegetarian and nonvegetarian diets, respectively, provided (by analysis) 973 and 995 mg Ca, 1.8 and 1.3 mg Cu, 367 and 260 mg Mg, 5.9 and 2.5 mg Mn, 1457 and 1667 mg P, 9.1 and 11.1 mg Zn, and (by calculation) 40 and 16 g dietary fiber, 2.5 and 0.8 mmol phytic acid, molar ratios of phytate to Zn of 14 and 5, and millimolar ratios of (phytate x Ca) to Zn of 344 and 111. Dietary zinc absorption was measured by extrinsic isotopic labeling and whole-body counting. Plasma cholesterol, cholesterol fractions, and lipoproteins were reduced 7-12% with the lactoovovegetarian diet, consistent with predictions based on dietary cholesterol and fat. Blood pressure was unaffected. Calcium, copper, magnesium, and phosphorus balances were not different between diets; manganese balance tended to be greater with the lactoovovegetarian diet (P < 0.07). The lactoovovegetarian diet was associated with a 21% reduction in absorptive efficiency that, together with a 14% reduction in dietary zinc, reduced the amount of zinc absorbed by 35% (2.4 compared with 3.7 mg/d) and reduced plasma zinc by 5% within the normal range. Zinc balance was maintained with both diets. Although there is a greater risk of zinc deficiency in persons consuming lactoovovegetarian compared with omnivorous diets, with inclusion of whole grains and legumes zinc requirements can be met and zinc balance maintained.
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:02 pm

i got my full text access back :D

zinc average levels in the lacto-ovo vegetarians in the study above came in at 13.9 umol/L while the non-vegetarians came in at 14.7 umol/L.

by contrast zinc average levels repeatedly seen in healthy controls, in health and disease studies, are more like 18 umol/L.

everyone was therefore below optimal .. but the lacto-ovo vegetarians were lowest.

after 15 yrs as a vegan my level was way lower than 13.9!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

nutrient dense whole food

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:09 pm

just had one of my favourite nutrient-dense, diversity dinners:

this part was leftovers from sunday:

-marinated basil-lemon baked chicken thighs,
-brown rice onion/mushroom/spinach/parmesan risotto (with the chicken pan drippings poured over top OMG!!).
-1/4 of a baked sweet potato, mashed, with butter

this was leftovers donated today by mom :)
-1/2c diced beets, boiled, with light syrup

did this fresh tonight:
-1c. side of steamed kale, with butter

i love food!!! :D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:59 pm

having an unusual meal (for me) tonight. that is, pasta.

whole grain rotini, with homemade tomato pesto pasta sauce made from scratch. there's a little ground beef in it. i'll probably top it with a little parm.

will steam the rest of my fresh kale for a side dish.

the rest of my whole food day:

breakfast:
1 slice sprouted 12-grain toast
1 egg w/ sauteed onion, minced fresh kale, and a sprinkling of tiny monterey jack cubes
1 tea and 1 coffee
plus the usual morning water and supplements

lunch:
leftovers, ie
1 basil-lemon baked boneless chicken thigh
1/2 c homemade onion/mushroom/spinach brown rice risotto
1/4 baked yam, mashed
more water and supplements

afternoon snack:
1 tea and 1 slice of toast, some sliced cucumber
more water and supplements!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:36 pm

today i made a salad for a snack to tide me over until dinner. just simple green leaf lettuce tossed with a basic omega 3 vinaigrette.

here is how i did the vinaigrette. measurements are approximate. i might have chosen olive oil instead of the grapeseed if there had been any in the cupboard.

OMEGA 3 ITALIAN-STYLE VINAIGRETTE

1 oz flax oil
1 oz grapeseed oil
juice of 1/4 lemon
1 tsp white vinegar (i filled the bottle cap)
1/4 tsp organic unbleached sugar
'sprinkles' of organic powdered garlic, dried mint, italian seasoning, and oregano
1-2 tsps parmesan cheese
sea salt and black pepper to taste
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:05 pm

more on whole foods

today i skipped breakfast :S had a fibre rich granola bar from work for brekkies. junk 1: whole food 0. boo.

lunch was leftover rotini w homemade sauce (tomato pesto with other veg and some ground beef)

snack while i made dinner was sliced cuke w vinegar and salt, tossed in a little plain yogurt

stir fry is on the go right now:

two kinds of onions (cooking and spring)
three mushrooms
half a red pepper
a couple cups of broccoli florets,
about 2 oz lean beef strips, cut from a cheap roast i did a while back - it's sliced up in my freezer for cold cuts or in this case, stir fry.

sauce is water, tamari soy, a spoonful of natural peanut butter, ginger and garlic, and i was going to add sambal oelek but i need a new one.

i'm going to throw in a cup of leftover mixed wild/brown rice at the end.

hope it's good! [update: it was! :)]
Last edited by jimmylegs on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:17 am

whole foods of the day.

three glasses of water

tea

breakfast: the standby.. egg with red pepper, kale, tomato & cheese on whole sprouted grain toast (yep definitely a creature of habit).
plus fish oil, zinc and vit A

coffee

lunch: mom's vegetarian tuscan bean soup, including lots of veggies, and some quinoa to ensure complete protein.
plus calcium, vit C and b-complex

dinner: will probably be a big romaine and leaf lettuce salad with home-made vinaigrette dressing, and leftover stir fry from yesterday.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:20 am

so yesterday through the day i was prepping a bunch of chard and baking a sweet potato, in preparation for what turned out to be a thwarted fish dinner. which was why i was considering left over stir fry.

when i had been hoping to buy fish, there was a special on hot italian sausage. i couldn't resist. every few months what the heck. i got 7 sausages for $4.45.

last night i decided to save the stir fry for next day's lunch, and put two sausages in the pan thinking one for tonight, and one for leftovers. ha, ha, ha.

i ate the first one with the boiled chard, and half of the sweet potato, plus a big green leaf lettuce salad that took up half my plate.

then... i ate the second one too.

today i decided to review the saturated fat content. 6g per sausage. so i ate 12g sat fat in one sitting.

that made me look up my breakfast today (i switched out the kale and put broccoli in the egg today).

anyway sat fat in the egg: 2g.
and as near as i can tell (from portion choices provided at nutritiondata.com) i probably get about the same, 2g, from the sprinkling of cheese i throw in.

for lunch, i'm going to finish up that leftover stir fry which probably has about an ounce of thin strips of eye of round roast beef from my freezer. i looked up the beef - this was a surprise. no sat fat, AND, mildly anti-inflammatory. nice!

so from those three meals, last night's evil dinner, today's breakfast, and today's lunch, the total sat fat will be about 16g, maybe throw in another gram or two for milk and cream in coffee, and a little butter on my morning toast. so let's say 18g for the day.

so is that bad or okay or good? found this resource on fats, in particular daily maximum saturated fat grams, matched to daily caloric intake:

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines ... htm#table8

it says for a 1600 cal diet you should have no more than 18g sat fat per day. that's the bottom of the scale. calories and sat fat grams go up from there.

so, i have no idea how many calories there are in my diet overall. i might be less than 1600 and in that case my 18g would be too high. however, i'm pretty confident i would not be off the bottom of their daily caloric intake scale :)

i am pretty surprised that 2 sausages are okay by this standard. it's still pushing the max though, and i'm glad i only eat sausage as an occasional treat.

also next time i'll behave better and stick to one :D
Last edited by jimmylegs on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby ikulo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm

I love the updates JL! :)
ikulo
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:19 am

glad you like :D hehehe
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 am

so my plan to have stir fry for lunch went out the window. i had my pepper and egg and cheese thing as usual, with broccoli, on toast. tea and coffee and water and supplements, check.

then my friend called and we ended up going for all day breakfast which was whole wheat toast, coffee, home fried potatoes, 3 slices of back bacon and THREE count em THREE EGGS. i couldn't eat it all - brought home most of the potatoes for later.

so i had a grand total of four eggs yesterday. good thing it's a full work week this week. i have four days ahead of fruit, yoghurt and granola for breakfast!

at least i finally finished up that stir fry last night. with the other half of the yam, and the leftover chard stems (not a fan of chard stems which is why they weren't gone after yesterday's dinner.. but i hear they're more nutritious than the leaves! *eating under duress*)

i'll be digging my lunch out of the freezer.. that last serving of basil-lemon chicken and mushroom spinach risotto is kicking around in there :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:25 pm

yesterday and today are turning out similar.

both days for breakfast i had blueberries with vanilla yog and topped with homemade granola including flax seeds.

both days for lunch i had leftover bengal beef. recipe's at the bottom of this article:
http://www.canada.com/topics/lifestyle/ ... 1fc612558d

i like to modify it by adding red pepper at the onion saute stage, and i stir steamed bite-sized cauliflower florets in at the add nuts stage.

it's SUPER om nom.

yesterday, i'm afraid chef ronald prepared my dinner... angus burger. 16g sat fat in one sitting!!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in. ... gus+burger

today i'm afraid i'm doing fast food again BUT, i'm using my subway gift card for a 6" tuna. 7g sat fat. much better.

time to get caught up on the home cookin, over the holiday long weekend :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:57 am

today i am home from work and am making lentil soup.

right now the sauteed onions, celery and green pepper have been simmering in 1c of chicken broth.

the lentils are waiting to go in.

legumes like lentils are not part of some patients' ms diets. there is some rationale for this: legumes contain anti-nutrients such as phytic acid. phytic acid impairs zinc bioavailability. clearly, since ms patients tend to be low in zinc, this is something to be aware of.

BUT, i have been soaking the 1c of dry green lentils in a glass bowl on the counter. then, i'm going to be boiling these lentils, which are a good source of potassium, and between the two processing steps, there should be a huge dent in the phytic acid level.

Effect of cooking on phytic acid content and nutritive value of Pakistani peas and lentils
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/030881468790001X
Abstract
The effects of a traditional domestic cooking procedure on the phosphorus/phytate relationship and the nutritional quality of three varieties of Pakistani (a) peas and (b) lentils were investigated. A cooking procedure which involved steeping, followed by boiling, of the seeds resulted in (a) a reduction of considerable amounts of phytic acid from both peas (82% reduction) and lentils (76% reduction), and (b) an improvement in the net protein utilization, true protein digestibility and biological value of the legume seeds.

potassium food info http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... nt&dbid=90

so when i have a cup of my lentil soup i'll get 700+ mg potassium.

aside: as i wrote this i was eating a salad made of 2c of romaine lettuce (a 'very good' source of potassium), with homemade dressing, and sprinkled with raw sunflower and flax seeds. the lettuce delivered ~325 mg potassium, apparently.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby hannakat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:10 am

Every time I come here to read, I leave hungry!!!! :lol:

Finally had the D tested and it came back at 56. I supplement 5-6000iu daily.

A few weeks ago, I finally made the leep and went GF, dairy free and flour free....didn't lose a single pound. Because of an incidental finding of a nodule on my thyroid recently, blood work shows hypothyrodism...could be why no weight was lost. If that's the case, I'm pretty ticked off. I see my PCP today, so guess I'll find out what he has to say.

Oh, my SIL told me that her daughters OB-GYN told her (what a circle) supplemental vit D3 will not work unless you add natural sun light to the mix to synthesize it. AND that Middle Eastern women, regardless of how much they take, will never raise their level because of their dress style.

Out of all the things I've read about D3, I've never run across that. Because a 'doctor' said it, they believe it to be true. I just wanted to say bull puckies....but then I never did that kind of research so I kept my mouth shut (always a good idea for me)!
hannakat
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens