MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Postby maynaka » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Sounds excellent!

Thanks for the recipe.

M
maynaka
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:14 pm

you're welcome!

fyi, i think it's better using 600g of frozen chopped spinach not 1000g.

and, i skimped a bit on the filo, using just 6 sheets. i could have doubled up on that, but i wanted to make another pie from that box of pastry :)
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

7 great reasons to choose brown rice over white

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:30 am

Niacin.
Brown rice contains 67% more vitamin B3 than unfortified white rice.

Thiamine.
Brown rice has 80% more vitamin B1 than UWR.

Pyridoxine.
Brown rice has 90% more vitamin B6 than UWR.

(Vitamins B3, B1 and B6 all feature strongly in the Klenner protocol for MS)

Manganese
Brown rice has twice as much as white.

(Manganese levels (mean+/-SEM) were significantly decreased in the CSF of MS patients http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12835484)

Phosphorus
Brown rice has twice as much as white.

Iron
Brown rice has 60% more.

Dietary fiber and essential fatty acids
Brown rice has em, white rice doesn't.

More about brown rice:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... e&dbid=128
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:26 am

have been feeling short on stir fries lately. and speaking of brown rice, this was last night's dinner:

stir fry in the wok:

olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 tbsp frozen ginger root, grated
1/2c chopped red pepper
6 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 head (~2c.) broccoli florets (only add once the rest is done enough)

pureed this sauce then added it to the wok:

a few splashes of soya sauce
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1/2 tsp chili flakes
juice of one lime wedge
1/2c boiling water

it was okay but i should have tasted it. needed a little more soya and peanut butter but otherwise ok. would have been ultimate if there was any hot sweet chili garlic sauce in the house :)

stirred it all up, put the lid on the wok and let it all steam until the broccoli was bright green.

i plated about 3/4c brown rice (cooked earlier in the day), using a small bowl as a mould, sliced up a pork chop also cooked earlier, and heated all that up.

then i added the stir fry to the plate, and topped everything with chopped raw cashew, raw sesame seeds, a little more soya sauce, and sesame seed oil.

yum!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:34 am

JEEEEZ!!! i just went searching for foods with the highest total nutrition and instead found a top 10 calories page. O. M. G.

example:
Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries
Calories: 2710
Fat (g): 203
Saturated Fat (g): 25
Sugar: n/a
Sodium(mg): 6360
Price: $6.99
Calories per $1.00: 388

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: antinutrition

Postby NHE » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:57 am

jimmylegs wrote:JEEEEZ!!! i just went searching for foods with the highest total nutrition and instead found a top 10 calories page. O. M. G.

example:
Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries
Calories: 2710
Fat (g): 203
Saturated Fat (g): 25
Sugar: n/a
Sodium(mg): 6360
Price: $6.99
Calories per $1.00: 388

Somehow I think that if you offered most folks about a 2 tablespoon lump of fat floating in 4/5 of a cup of oil seasoned with 2.5 teaspoons of salt they would likely refuse it. However, call it "Aussie Cheese Fries" and you can sell it as an appetizer with enough calories as an entire day's worth of food. People are strange. :roll:
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 am

no kidding, NHE!!

all right so i finally started stopping in at one of the farms on my commute.

i am so glad i did! i just had my egg-and-veg breakfast using farm-fresh free-range eggs, my dozen came in all shapes colours and sizes, including a blue-green 'easter-egger' :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:17 pm

yummm another great dinna!

two salads:

one, a quinoa tabbouleh for protein, with lots of parsley and mint
one green leaf lettuce with minced fresh herbs and flax oil/white balsamic dressing.

big vegetarian main (this was a combo of 1: a squash recipe i probably have not made in at least 15 years, and 2: the peanut sauce only from a family favourite pasta recipe):

first, cut a spaghetti squash in half the long way and simmer it, with cut faces down, in a bit of water, in a covered pan. until the stringy flesh separates easily.
then cut up all your other veg.

then start a little oil in a large pan (i use grapeseed oil to start stir fry, and after that sprinkle water if needed to keep the temperature down)

stir fry onion, broccoli stalks, sliced crimini mushrooms,and diced red and green pep,

while those veg are on the go, you can start this sauce:

use a hand blender to combine all these ingredients:
1/3c hot water
1/3c smooth peanut butter
1tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp white or rice wine vinegar
2 sm cloves garlic, chopped
1/2tsp sugar
1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes

when the veg in the pan are done to your taste:

add flesh of 1 entire (smallish) steamed spaghetti squash,
add broccoli florets
mix everything together
cover to steam, just a few minutes until the broccoli goes bright green

uncover, remove from heat, season with a pat of butter, a sprinkle each of nutmeg and black pepper, and a sprinkle of tamari soy,

top with your soy-garlic-hot chili peanut sauce as

SO DELISH! had to have seconds :) only a smidge of tabbouleh left today
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

OM NOM NOM

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:41 pm

okay so i was away for a week delivering a family nutrition boot camp :P

since i've been back it's been a very foodie time, i baked a squash and cooked some wild rice one night, i baked a sweet potato and cooked some brown rice the next night, then last night i started sauteeing some veg for a pasta sauce, processed a head of green swiss chard, boiled up some quinoa for a future tabbouleh salad, cooked three sausages, and mixed the wild rice and brown rice together. plus a friend had dropped off some chili previously.

for lunch today i had chard, squash, rice mix and a dollop of chili.

when i got home today i finished the pasta sauce by cutting up a sausage into the sauteed veg, plus i added a whole bunch of fresh basil from the garden, and a can of diced tomatoes. then i tossed in some rotini, and set it aside for a while.

i had also harvested a bunch of parsley and mint, and cut that up with some diced cuke and tomatoes, then mixed in this and that for the dressing, and some of the cooked quinoa, and voila! salad was ready.

*then* i processed a head of kale, and steamed it. finally, i got a casserole and put half the pasta and sauce in the bottom, added a layer of kale (almost the entire bunch, one serving left over), then the other half of the pasta, then grated mozzarella over the top, and it's now baking in the oven.

yum!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:55 pm

recently a friend gave me an entire bunch of kale. i steamed half of it and left the other half raw. i harvested basil from the garden and raided the freezer for parmesan and pine nuts.

i made kale-basil pesto (i wrote down what i did to make it - if you want the recipe let me know) and enjoyed it tossed through a serving of rotini and topped with chunky veg and beef pasta sauce.

then, i started using the remaining pesto for burgers - i roasted up a lot of red pepper, and started working through a box of burgers that happened to be around (not my purchase but there to be eaten nonetheless).

i take a whole grain multi grain flat bread bun. then toast lightly.
spread the kale-basil pesto on one half, and a slice of extra old cheddar on the other. toast again.
meanwhile heat up the burger (i cooked them previously) with a layer of roasted red pepper pieces on top.
then, add ketchup and whatever else to the cheese side, add the burger, top with the pesto bun, and enjoy!
really good with corn on the cob and/or green salad :D

finally, i mixed a big chunk of the remaining pesto into some plain sauce, augmented with sauteed red pepper (win) and green chard stems (hmm) and enjoyed that with whole grain omega three pasta for lunch today.

yum!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby tzootsi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:58 am

Jimmylegs, your posts are always interesting and helpful. Have you ever looked into or tried pumpkin seed butter? It appears to be very rich in zinc and magnesium, along with other nutrients. It's hard to find, but I just ordered a jar online. We'll see how it tastes!
tzootsi
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:06 pm

thanks tzootsi! i have not.
i am afraid i am not a pumpkin seed fan, which is lame because i know they're sooo good.
not sure about how bioavailable the zinc is, but yes they're known for it for sure.
hopefully it's good - let me know!
re making pumpkin seed butter - have you heard of those killer 'vitamix' turbo blenders? i bet if i was making my own i could figure out a way to make it enjoyable.
the other day a co-worker brought in 'salty sweet' cookies and the salt was from roasted pumpkin seeds. i can take them in that context but i'm not down with consuming daily cookies in order to get the seedy goodness :P hehehe!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

i love pizza

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:08 pm

just sayin

i was soooo hungry coming home from work today and i decided i could not be bothered home cookin today.

so, i ordered my favourite pizza, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

a few years ago i would have suffered badly, but that was when i was zinc deficient. no longer! yummmm
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:37 am

another diverse and delicious day-off breakfast, logging 6 vegetables plus bacon eggs and cheeese :D within reason.

2 beaten eggs, over sauteed minced red onion, red pepper, and some chopped spinach, with 1 slice of chopped cooked bacon, and a little finely diced extra old cheddar cheese sprinkled in.

1/4 sweet potato, diced, fried (as home fries or hash browns, something like that)

4 crimini mushrooms, sliced, sauteed

1/2 broiled tomato topped with basil, balsamic vinegar, and parmesan

mmmmmmm!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:46 pm

today's meals:

mixed berries, vanilla yogurt, topped with raw sunflower seeds, dessicated unsweetened coconut flakes and whole flax seeds

greek salad with tomato, cuke, red pep, oil herb and vinegar dressing, dried cranberries, raw sunflower seeds, parmesan, and a little teensy bit of feta

cheese, pate, crackers and olives

green salad with mixed veg fresh herbs, a little feta, and raw sunflower seeds

pork tenderloin medallions, one baked potato, 6 brussels sprouts

in between all that: water, tea w milk & 1/4tsp sugar, mocha w cream, water, mocha w cream, water, tea w milk & 1/4tsp sugar, and more water :)

plus all the vitamins, minerals and fish oil scattered throughout!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens