MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Re: MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:30 pm

just made another big tasty batch of chickpea hummous!

i prepared the beans from dry, by boiling a litre of water and pouring it over the beans to soak overnight. then drained them, and pressure cooked them for 30 min. then added the tahini paste, garlic, cumin, lemon and salt, and food processed it all up.

found a pouch of powdered sumat, which i have only ever seen served sprinkled on the hummous at my favourite local falafel restaurant. looking forward to snack time! i like it with carrot sticks and only sometimes with pita. carrots (not to mention the garlic!) help balance out the slightly inflammatory properties of the chickpeas, and don't have the zinc-draining qualities of bread.

Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=58

many items of interest here, including:

"it took only one week of garbanzo bean consumption to improve participants' control of blood sugar and insulin secretion. Equally important, only one-third cup of the beans per day was needed to provide these blood-sugar related health benefits."

and

"Based on research studies that we've seen about the soaking of garbanzo beans, we recommend a soaking period of at least 4 hours. Several potentially desirable chemical changes can take place during this 4-hour soaking period. First, there can be a reduction in the beans' raffinose-type oligosaccharides, and this reduction may result in fewer problems with flatulence when the beans are eventually consumed. Second, some of the phytase enzymes in the beans may become activated and help to transform some of the phytic acid found in the beans. When phytic acid gets converted into other substances, it is less likely to bind together with other nutrients and reduce their absorption."
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby lyndacarol » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:02 pm

I have never tried garbanzo beans, but may have to for the insulin secretion aspect. Thanks, jimmylegs.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:07 am

no probs LC! so many delicious ways to enjoy them :D
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:13 pm

i was just hypothesizing on potential mechanisms of action and looked up the nutrient content of chickpeas - 1c serving provides 78mg magnesium (per nutritiondata.com). also notable for manganese, folate, copper, phosphorus, iron (according to nutritiondata.com) and molybdenum (per whfoods.com)

i was working on validating links to magnesium initially, but then based on the nutrient info, thought i would look into the potential for an influence on insulin by manganese.
found this:

Effect of manganese deficiency on insulin binding, glucose transport and metabolism in rat adipocytes
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2204694
"The effect of manganese deficiency on insulin binding, glucose transport and metabolism in isolated adipose cells from Sprague-Dawley rats was investigated. ... Both basal and insulin-stimulated 3-O-methylglucose transport in isolated adipose cells was significantly lower in Mn- rats, averaging 40% and 50% of control values, respectively. ... Mn- animals had fewer insulin receptors per cell compared to controls, although no differences in insulin receptor affinity were observed between the two groups. These data suggest that Mn deficiency affects glucose transport and metabolism in the adipose cell..."

spelt, brown rice and spinach are also notable sources of manganese. kale and chard are right up there on the list of healthiest choices. whew, think i'm in good shape in this dept! the spinach kale chard rotation is an awesome one :D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby dez2000 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:52 pm

jimmylegs Is right! To a very short degree. All disease is dietary! Doctors Know this. Do they tell you this. No! They just sit back and wait. They just let us eat our junk food. Drink our sodas, enjoy our pastries and pies. Drink the alcohol, use tobacco and drugs. Don’t exercise. Doctors know that sooner or later you are going to walk into his office with a health problem. How many doctors have told you that man has a missing enzyme in the liver that in almost all animals do that produces vitamin C, the most important nutrient for almost all life on earth. Seeds do not have vitamin C. But when the seeds sprouts it is the first nutrient it produces. vitamins were first used in the seventeens hundreds when sailors discovered that fresh fruit prevented scurvy, they did not know why, but it did just that. Man is a curious animal and started searching why. it took almost two hundred years to isolate and name the nutrient, ascorbic acid, what we call Vitamin C. It has become the most studied nutrient on earth. True science has found that man needs to have a constant supply in his system. From 5 to 20 grams a day depending on your needs . We all are different.
So why isn’t this taught in school? why dos’t your doctor tell you? And how about all the other vitamins, minerals, supplements, natural foods and herbals They are necessary and important. If we don;t eat right and supplement we have no one to blame but our selves. I cannot begin to tell you all what I have learned in over
20 years of study, research and doing it. Our health is a (do it) your self venture. If you have health problems and chose to take care of them yourself this is not a magic trick. Health does not happen over night. Patients, persistence, perseverance and time. Are you worth it? is your family worth it? It is working for me. Prevention is and always has been the best medicine. The internet has an overwhelming amount of information with a lot of disinformation, so be very discriminating. Cross check. My favorite internet site is ‘doctoryouself.com'
The study of Dr F R Klenner’s life, as doctor in Reidsville NC is a classic example of a daring pioneer in medicine who chose to cure, not just treat his patients. Let him become your doctor. The Klenner Protocol is his cure for MS. …dez...
dez2000
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:16 am

once again, i slacked off on my supplement regimen (food was still in relatively good shape). i felt no immediate consequences which i enjoy, but it makes me lazy. so in the end, of course, i started to feel a virus trying it on with me. quickly went for my trusty old A-C-E8-Se-Zn combo, et voila! felt better all day. as night settled in, i started to feel it a little again, so i re-did the C-E8-Se and Zn (had maxed out A for the day already), and woke up this am feeling fine. i still have a vague sense that all is not quite right, so will dose up once more before i head out for the evening. it's the season of many small infected children at my work, can't afford to be lazy with my immune system!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 pm

got another thumbs-up from a friend today. mainstream medicine put her through a years-long barrage of tests, meds, even surgery - all no help, but she is perfectly great now thanks to.. drum roll.. magnesium :D yay! and grr. wtf.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:06 am

just found this AWESOME zinc lecture. will read it MUCH more thoroughly later
http://www.slideshare.net/razavinader/z ... 66#btnNext
funny, it's got a picture i had already found via image search. only found this due to new search engine. whee!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:24 pm

neat resource re standard lab work; ranges and optimal values. not so much with the nutrients though.

http://www.carbonbased.com/modules/sect ... le&artid=6
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:07 pm

revisiting zinc and foetal nutrition

VARIATIONS IN MATERNAL SERUM ZINC DURING PREGNANCY AND CORRELATION TO CONGENITAL MALFORMATIONS, DYSMATURITY, AND ABNORMAL PARTURITION
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1067746
Abstract
Serum zinc concentrations in 234 gravidae showed a gradual fall during the first and second trimesters. From the 25th week of gestation until delivery there is a levelling out of mean zinc values. No correlations between serum zinc, serum HCS, or urinary excretion of oestriol were found. Women with mature infants born by normal delivery showed significantly higher serum zinc during pregnancy than women with abnormal deliveries and/or abnormally developed infants (p less than 0.001). Eight infants showed congenital malformations. Five of the 8 mothers showed the lowest serum zinc concentrations recorded during respective week of pregnancy. A diabetic woman gave birth to an immature infant with multiple skeletal malformations. She showed the lowest serum zinc in the 21st week, and at the same time a very low alkaline phosphatase activity. Her serum proteins and serum HCS were normal. Women with dysmature infants showed significantly lower zinc values during pregnancy (p less than 0.02) than women with mature infants born by normal delivery. Data from studies on zinc metabolism show that there is a requirement of at least 375 mg of zinc during pregnancy in order to meet the demands of normal weight gain. Teenagers, women with multiple pregnancies, women with impaired intestinal absorption due to disease or drugs and in particular women with a low-protein, high-phytate diet seem to risk developing zinc deficiency during pregnancy."

link to earlier info on maternal zinc deficiency and birth defects:
regimens-f22/topic2489-405.html#p195460
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:23 am

fyi i updated page one with a proper copper target rather than a link to more copper chats..
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:59 pm

nipped into the fridge today, for my syringe of vit d3 and a bit of milk to wash it down.. but i opened said fridge only to spy the leftover whipped cream.. yay for fat soluble nutrition! best supplement to date.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:05 am

this looks interesting

Effect of Magnesium Supplementation on the Distribution Patterns of Zinc, Copper, and Magnesium in Rabbits Exposed to Prolonged Cadmium Intoxication
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3373183/
The present study is designed to investigate whether magnesium (Mg) supplementation may prevent Cd-induced alterations in zinc (Zn), copper (Cu), and magnesium (Mg) status in rabbits. For this purpose, the concentrations of Zn, Cu, and Mg were estimated in blood, urine, and organs (brain, heart, lungs, liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas, skeletal muscle, and bone) of rabbits given Cd (10mg/kg b.w.) and rabbits cotreated with Mg (40mg/kg b.w.) orally, as aqueous solutions of Cd chloride and Mg acetate every day for 4 weeks. Samples were mineralized with conc. HNO3 and HClO4 (4:1) and metals concentrations were determined by atomic absorption spectrophotometry (AAS). Magnesium supplementation succeeded to overcome Cd-induced disbalance of investigated bioelements. Beneficial effects of Mg were observed on Zn levels in blood and urine, on Cu levels in urine, and on Mg levels in blood. Magnesium pretreatment also managed to counteract or reduce all Cd-induced changes in levels of Cu and Mg in organs, while it did not exert this effect on Zn levels. These findings suggest that enhanced dietary Mg intake during Cd exposure can have at least partly beneficial effect on Cd-induced alterations in homeostasis of zinc, copper, and magnesium.

full text http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 572514.pdf
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:32 pm

so thought i'd just say that i appear to have hit the wall as far as dietary inputs of oxalic acid go.

i had recently been on my usual kick with the dark leafy greens (which i boil for 3 min to reduce the oxalates) BUT then i went on a mission to empty the deep freeze, which meant a surge in my intake of stewed rhubarb, which as you can imagine from the mouth feel is quite high in oxalic acid

at one point in the last week or two, i started having problems with skin on my left foot, between my toes, and at the same time some bone pain in the ball of my foot. then it kind of went away.

then, i was given a huge batch of swiss chard and i ate a big serving. pain in the foot came back.

then, i randomly read some unreferenced source that said high oxalic acid can cause skin issues like athletes foot on the feet as well as the gout in the joints.

so., and here i am scared of my leftover chard.. i may eat it tomorrow, with trepidation!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:49 pm

wellll i ate some chard today. no consequences yet :) AND i enjoyed my d3 drops today in a couple ounces of egg nog with a sprinkling of nutmeg. yay vit d! :D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens