MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Re: MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:24 pm

eeeeeeeee my supervisor marked my second last project, one step closer!!!!
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:40 am

Brain-Delivery of Zinc-Ions as Potential Treatment for Neurological Diseases: Mini Review (2011)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3220161/
Homeostasis of metal ions such as Zn2+ is essential for proper brain function. Moreover, the list of psychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders involving a dysregulation of brain Zn2+-levels is long and steadily growing, including Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease as well as schizophrenia, attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder, depression, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Down's syndrome, multiple sclerosis, Wilson’s disease and Pick’s disease. Furthermore, alterations in Zn2+-levels are seen in transient forebrain ischemia, seizures, traumatic brain injury and alcoholism. Thus, the possibility of altering Zn2+-levels within the brain is emerging as a new target for the prevention and treatment of psychiatric and neurological diseases. Although the role of Zn2+ in the brain has been extensively studied over the past decades, methods for controlled regulation and manipulation of Zn2+ concentrations within the brain are still in their infancy. Since the use of dietary Zn2+ supplementation and restriction has major limitations, new methods and alternative approaches are currently under investigation, such as the use of intracranial infusion of Zn2+ chelators or nanoparticle technologies to elevate or decrease intracellular Zn2+ levels. Therefore, this review briefly summarizes the role of Zn2+ in psychiatric and neurodegenerative diseases and highlights key findings and impediments of brain Zn2+-level manipulation. Furthermore, some methods and compounds, such as metal ion chelation, redistribution and supplementation that are used to control brain Zn2+-levels in order to treat brain disorders are evaluated.

this really made me LOL. yes nanotechnology sounds SO much more simple than dietary measures :roll:
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:05 pm

I like this title b/c I used to have mild dyslexia when zinc deficient. will have to have a read when I have more time..
Zinc deficiency in children with dyslexia...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... -0023b.pdf
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 am

REALLY enjoyed last night's dinner: giant mixed greens salad dressed with olive and flax oils, and balsamic vinegar, and dressed with sunflower seeds, walnuts, dried cranberries and feta. protein: venison/kale/feta/pesto patties under the broiler.
delish!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:04 am

Vitamin and Mineral deficiency and glucose metabolism- A review (2013)
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 6313000225
Abstract
Background and Aims
Zinc, magnesium and vitamin D are trace minerals and vitamins of importance to human biology and health and increasing evidences suggest that these minerals and vitamin play an important role in glucose metabolism. The aim of the study was to summarize the current evidences that links mineral deficiencies and alterations in glucose metabolism
Methods
A systematic review of PubMed database was conducted from September 1983 to September 2011 to identify literature related to zinc, magnesium and vitamin D deficiencies and glucose metabolism.
Results
Accumulating data from clinical studies suggest that zinc, magnesium and vitamin D deficiencies are independently associated with alterations in glucose metabolism. Deficiencies may increase risk of the development of insulin resistance and T2DM. However, there is inadequate evidence based data available to inform public health strategies.
Conclusions
Clearly, there is a need for further research, using well-designed studies and long-term follow-up, to fully demonstrate a causal role for these nutritional deficiencies in the development of insulin resistance and T2DM and the beneficial role of these vitamin and minerals supplementation in disorders of glucose metabolism, and/or in patients with or at risk of developing nutritional deficiencies.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:10 am

The Role of Micronutrients in Heart Failure
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7212001281
Heart failure is a common condition in the Western world, particularly among elderly persons and with an ever-aging population, the incidence is expected to increase. Diet in the setting of heart failure is important—patients with this condition are advised to consume a low-salt diet and monitor their weight closely. Nutritional status of patients with heart failure also is important—those with poor nutritional status tend to have a poor long-term prognosis. A growing body of evidence suggests an association between heart failure and micronutrient status. Reversible heart failure has been described as a consequence of severe thiamine and selenium deficiency. However, contemporary studies suggest that a more subtle relationship may exist between micronutrients and heart failure. This article reviews the existing literature linking heart failure and micronutrients, examining studies that investigated micronutrient intake, micronutrient status, and the effect of micronutrient supplementation in patients with heart failure, and focusing particularly on vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, thiamine, other B vitamins, vitamin D, selenium, zinc, and copper.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:15 am

EEEEEEEEEEEE did i just find my research marching orders???!!!

Nutritional Countermeasures for Spaceflight-Related Stress
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.100 ... 22272-6_29
Optimal function of the immune system is impaired in the presence of malnutrition. This led to the concept of immunonutrition which describes diets that are specifically designed to enhance immune functions and, without adequate nutrition, the immune system is clearly deprived of the components needed to generate an effective immune response (Beisel 1992; Mizock 2010). Nutrients act as antioxidants and as cofactors at the level of cytokine regulation (Cunningham-Rundles et al. 2005). Crews during spaceflight generally have lower dietary intake compared with normal conditions on ground (Lane et al. 1998). It is well known from ground research that a lack of macronutrients or selected micronutrients, like zinc, selenium, and the antioxidant vitamins can have profound effects on immune function (Chandra 1992; Chandra and Kumari 1994; Keith and Jeejeebhoy 1997). Micronutrient deficiency suppresses immune functions by affecting the innate T-cell-mediated immune response and adaptive antibody response. It leads also to a dysregulation of the balanced host response (Wintergerst et al. 2007). Disruption of nutritional balance and dietary intake of astronauts and cosmonauts during spaceflight, which is often accompanied by a stress response, might influence their immune response as the nutrition status can influence host immune responses and resistance to infection (Sonnenfeld 2002; Sonnenfeld and Shearer 2002). Some of the immune function alterations documented in astronauts (see Chaps. 9–12) have been reported also in states of nutrient deficiencies, and could potentially be counteracted by improving their nutrition. Detailed information on the absorption and metabolism of many micronutrients during spaceflight are mandatory before specific nutritional recommendations can be made, especially with regard to their relationship with the immune system function.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 am

something to dig into more fully once back in school

Laboratory Tests to Diagnose Nutritional Deficiencies
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.100 ... 02411-5_26
The number of bariatric surgical procedures has increased markedly in the last years [1]. This phenomenon is strictly associated with increased knowledge among medical doctors about bariatric surgery indications, benefits, risks and prevention of the risks. This chapter focuses on the nutritional and metabolic complications associated with bariatric surgery and on recommended laboratory tests to diagnose these complications as early as possible. Moreover, to understand the pathophysiological mechanism of nutritional deficiencies after bariatric surgery, a short review of normal nutrient digestion, absorption and physiological role of these nutrients are also briefly discussed.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:25 am

Nutrition Management of the Infant Identified With Cystic Fibrosis
http://journals.lww.com/topicsinclinica ... ith.9.aspx
The availability of newborn screening in all states has allowed for the identification of infants soon after birth who have cystic fibrosis. Early identification offers the opportunity to provide nutrition intervention, which can lead to an overall better outcome for the infant thusly avoiding such complications as protein calorie malnutrition and vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 am

Multiple-micronutrient supplementation for women during pregnancy
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... f/standard
In low- and middle-income countries, many women have poor diets and are deficient in nutrients and micronutrients which are required for good health. Micronutrients are vitamins and minerals that are needed by the body in very small quantities but are important for normal functioning, growth and development. During pregnancy, these women often become more deficient, with the need to provide nutrition for the baby too, and this can impact on their health and that of their babies. Combining multiple micronutrients has been suggested as a cost-effective way to achieve multiple benefits for the women during pregnancy. Micronutrient deficiencies are known to interact and a greater effect may be achieved by multiple supplementation rather than single nutrient supplementation, although interactions may also lead to poor absorption of some of the nutrients. High doses of some nutrients may also cause harm to the mother or her baby. Overall, multiple-micronutrient supplementation reduced the number of low birthweight and small-for-gestational age babies when compared with supplementation with two or less micronutrients, iron and folic acid supplements, no supplementation or a placebo. This review included 23 studies (involving 76,532 women) but only 21 trials (involving 75,785 women) contributed data. However, more evidence of effect is needed, particularly for determining any adverse effects including placental abruption, premature rupture of the membranes, neural tube defects and other congenital abnormalities, neurodevelopmental delay, very preterm births and side-effects of the supplements.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:19 am

I reorganized the summary post on page one hopefully for better logic and clarity.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Anonymoose » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 am

Nice re-work. :)

Any idea why I've been getting buzzy legs by adding 4000iu D3 and that mag l-threonate (144 mag threonate 2000 magtein)? I stopped taking them and the leg thing went away. What the heck?! The mag didn't make my hands hurt this time either...maybe they didn't the first time. :confused: Other than the d and mag, I've just been taking my multi. Multi ingredients...

How's the knee?
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 am

hi anon, thanks :)

hard to say about the mag issue. you definitely want to take magnesium with the d3, and some away from the d3. d3 will hog as much mag as it can to its own purposes when taken together. also, mag l-threonate appears to be designed to increase brain magnesium...

Enhancement of Learning and Memory by Elevating Brain Magnesium
http://www.cell.com/neuron/retrieve/pii ... 7309010447

so I think what *could* be happening is muscle mag depletion from the combination of high dose d3, no mag in the multi, and a brain-targeted mag form in the other supp.

had any luck getting your hands on magnesium glycinate?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:41 am

so weirded out that I have not already posted this. definitely have read it at least.

Dietary Factors Influencing Zinc Absorption1
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/5/1378S.short
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Anonymoose » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 am

jimmylegs wrote:hi anon, thanks :)

hard to say about the mag issue. you definitely want to take magnesium with the d3, and some away from the d3. d3 will hog as much mag as it can to its own purposes when taken together. also, mag l-threonate appears to be designed to increase brain magnesium...

Enhancement of Learning and Memory by Elevating Brain Magnesium
http://www.cell.com/neuron/retrieve/pii ... 7309010447

so I think what *could* be happening is muscle mag depletion from the combination of high dose d3, no mag in the multi, and a brain-targeted mag form in the other supp.

had any luck getting your hands on magnesium glycinate?

I've got a couple left. I need to restock. I've got an appt w my neurologist this week so may or may not start taking it depending on what we decide to do w clonidine/amiloride.

Your theory on d depleting muscular mag makes sense. So complicated! Thanks!
Anonymoose
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens