MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Re: MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

hope your appt goes well and yeah.. it is complicated.. makes me want to revamp nutritional learning expectations in the formal primary and secondary curriculum :D
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 am

some interesting 2013 nutrition research (google scholar search terms: trace serum healthy controls)

SERUM CHROMIUM, MAGNESIUM AND ZINC LEVELS IN SUDANESE TYPE 2 DIABETIC PATIENTS
http://journals.uofg.edu.sd/index.php/G ... e/view/299
There was a very significant difference in some serum trace elements level between diabetic and control groups. Serum magnesium and zinc were significantly lower in diabetic group compared with the control group (P= 0.014, P < 0.0001 respectively). Negative but not significant correlations were shown between Cr, Mg and Zn and serum glucose.

Serum trace elements in obese women with or without diabetes
http://www.ijmr.org.in/article.asp?issn ... =Yerlikaya
The levels of Zn (P<0.001), Mn (P<0.05), Fe (P<0.05) were significantly lower and the level of Cu (P<0.001) and Cu / Zn ratio (P<0.05) were significantly higher in the diabetic obese women than those of the healthy women. Also, the levels of Zn and Fe were significantly lower and the levels of Cu were significantly higher in the non diabetic obese women than those of the healthy group. Serum Zn levels negatively and serum Cu levels positively correlated with anthropometric values in diabetic and non diabetic obese women. Further, serum Zn, Mn and Cr levels negatively correlated and serum Se levels positively correlated glycaemia control parameters in diabetic obese women. In addition, serum Zn levels negatively correlated with hsCRP in diabetic and nondiabetic obese females.

Association of serum Copper and Zinc levels with colorectal cancer
http://feyz.hbi.ir/browse.php?a_id=1779 ... nr=1&hmb=1
The results showed that the serum Cu levels were significantly lower (P<0.01) in patients with CRC than the healthy controls, but no significant difference was observed between serum concentration of zinc in patients and healthy subjects. The concentrations of Zn in patients and healthy subjects were (68.38±44.76 vs. 142±37.61 ug/dl) and (84±53.51 vs. 140.37±63.43), respectively, in female and male subjects. Serum concentrations of Cu were (139±139.92 vs. 160.44±46.38 ug/dl) and (123.50±77.76 vs. 160.93±44.15 ug/dl), respectively, in female and male subjects. However, the Cu/Zn ratio increased significantly in both male (2.64±2.98 vs. 1.42± 0.88) and female (3.02±3.90 vs. 1.22±0.60) subjects.
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:51 am

more 2013 abstracts, now using search terms: micronutrient serum healthy controls

A Study of Serum Zinc level in Cirrhosis of Liver
http://www.banglajol.info/bd/index.php/ ... view/13340
Serum zinc level was found to be low in 72% patients. Mean ±SD of serum zinc levels (μg/L) were 610.32 ± 169.60 and 827.66 ± 267.32 in cases and controls respectively. In cirrhotic patients serum zinc level was significantly lower than that of healthy controls (P<0.001).

A Low Selenium Level Is Associated with Lung and Laryngeal Cancers
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0059051
Among lung cancer cases, the mean selenium level was 63.2 µg/l, compared to a mean level of 74.6 µg/l for their matched controls (p<0.0001). Among laryngeal cancer cases, the mean selenium level was 64.8 µg/l, compared to a mean level of 77.1 µg/l for their matched controls (p<0.0001). Compared to a serum selenium value below 60 µg/l, a selenium level above 80 µg/l was associated with an odds ratio of 0.10 (95% CI 0.03 to 0.34; p = 0.0002) for lung cancer and 0.23 (95% CI 0. 09 to 0.56; p = 0.001) for laryngeal cancer. In analysis of four selenoprotein genes we found a modest evidence of association of genetic variant in GPX1 with the risk of lung and laryngeal cancers.

The concentration of serum zinc in celiac patients compared to healthy subjects in Tehran
http://journals.sbmu.ac.ir/ghfbb/index. ... e/view/365
Zinc concentrations in patients diagnosed with CD were significantly lower than healthy subjects (75.97±12 compared with 92.83±18, P-value < 0.0001).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:58 pm

red meat again last night YUMMMMMMMMM :D :D :D the leftover venison/kale/pesto/feta pattie, with another enormous mixed green salad - this time topped with nuts, seeds, berries, and avocado.

in between, the other night it was a big old salmon steak on another salad mountain. i prefer salmon fillets - the steak was too bony for my liking.

guilty pleasure: the recent family bday season brought on a general rekindling of interest in vanilla ice cream. still weaning off this unfortunate dessert habit. :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:34 am

well it's official, after ALL the bloodwork I've had done over the last 7 yrs AND the acupuncture I had to have done on my back a couple yrs ago, I am still a giant baby about needles. esp when I can see it in front of me going into my bad knee (by lucky coincidence, the very same knee that has the oldest stitches from the selfsame injury which caused the whole phobia in the first place) ... glad I am not as bad as I used to be!! :S
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 pm

applying zinc oxide 18% to the skin next to my damaged mcl. hopefully will help the ligament heal faster.

Zinc absorption through skin: correction of zinc deficiency in the rat (1977)
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/30/4/528.full.pdf
ABSTRACT The therapeutic effect of topical administration of zinc was tested in pregnant rats consuming a diet deficient in the element . Four groups of rats were fed a zinc-deficient diet for 24 hr. Half of the animals were treated during this period with a topical application of oil saturated with zinc chloride, for the full 24 hr in one group, and for the last 8 hr in the other. In the two remaining groups, oil without zinc chloride was applied under the same conditions as described above, and in all cases oral ingestion of the supplement was prevented. At the end of the 24-hr period, the animals were killed and plasma zinc was determined. An additional group of animals consuming a diet adequate in zinc was killed without any treatment to provide control values of normal plasma zinc. Rats consuming the deficient diet and without topical zinc supplementation had plasma zinc values significantly lower than all other groups after 24 hr. Animals receiving zinc supplementation for 8 hr had plasma levels similar to those of the control group fed an adequate zinc diet and significantly higher than those of rats that received no zinc application to the skin. In animals in which zinc was applied for 24 hr, plasma zinc values were significantly higher than in any other group, including normal controls. The results indicate that percutaneous transport of zinc may be of sufficient magnitude to be clinically significant and that topical application of this element may be useful in cases of dietary zinc deficiency or diseases producing a zinc deficiency state.

Percutaneous Absorption of Zinc from Zinc Oxide Applied Topically to Intact Skin in Man (1990)
http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/247982
Abstract
The penetration of zinc through normal skin treated with a zinc oxide (25%) medicated occlusive dressing was studied.The mean release rate of zinc to the skin was 5 μg/cm2/h. After 48 h of treatment suction blisters were raised by the Kiistala method. The zinc concentration of the epidermis blister fluid and dermis was increased beneath the zinc dressing compared to control-treated skin. The study shows that zinc permeates intact human skin from topically applied zinc oxide in vivo.

i want to see serum values from something like patch treatment over much longer durations than 24 or 48hrs.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:34 pm

meeting with one of the authors of these various papers on tuesday.. possible academic supervisor in near future :)

Relationships among nutritional status and skeletal and respiratory muscle function in cystic fibrosis: does early dietary supplementation make a difference?
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/57/4/580.full.pdf

Efficacy of calcium glycerophosphate vs conventional mineral salts for total parenteral nutrition in low-birth-weight infants: a randomized clinical trial.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/56/6/1004.short ( ! co-authored with the OTHER researcher i was considering as a potential masters supervisor)

Impact on blood Pb levels of maternal and early infant feeding practices of First Nation Cree in the Mushkegowuk Territory of northern Ontario, Canada
http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlel ... m/b208220a

Inadequate Nutrient Intakes in Youth of a Remote First Nation Community: Challenges and the Need for Sustainable Changes in Program and Policy
http://www.hindawi.com/isrn/ph/2012/504168/
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:13 pm

fyi. added 7 itemized 'elements of success' to page one.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:22 pm

i just added a little extra blurb after the 7 points too.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:45 pm

recently spina bifida came to my attention, decided to look it up.. neural tube birth defect.. b/c I have been running into zinc connected with birth defects, I thought I would see if zinc could be linked to *neural tube* defects in particular. before posting this, I went over what I might have posted here before, and found these:

on choline, folic acid and neural tube defects (2009)
general-discussion-f1/topic7791.html#p63629

on zinc and neural tube defects (2012)
post194243.html?hilit=neural#p194243

since everyone knows that you take folic acid to reduce the risk of neural tube defects, I had to wonder if there might be an interaction between folic acid and zinc. it looks like there is. so perhaps folic acid is another one of these things that requires zinc for proper utilization, and when we take extra folic acid we're just making up for poor utilization:

Micronutrient interactions: effects on absorption and bioavailability
http://journals.cambridge.org/download. ... f916a408e1
"... The polyglutamine forms of dietary folate require the conjugation by a zinc-dependent hydrolase prior to intestinal absorption. Zinc deficiency could consequently impair folate bioavailability."

also:
Maternal myo-inositol, glucose, and zinc status is associated with the risk of offspring with spina bifida
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... 053d3c.pdf

the erythrocyte zinc is elevated in that study, but we've already unpacked that high rbc zinc indicates overall poor status.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:40 pm

done my degree *whew*
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby NHE » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:17 am

jimmylegs wrote:done my degree *whew*

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:06 am

thx!!! :D :D :D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Anonymoose » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:14 am

Woohooooo! Congrats Jimmy! That's pretty darn badass! :D
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:21 am

LOL thanks anon :D science-tastic!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens