MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Re: MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Postby DougL » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:54 am

congrats JL.
DougL
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:02 am

tyvm :D AND my knee brace is in! eeeee!!!! exciting :D what's next?? hehe
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:03 am

omg omg omg omg check it out

http://www.uoguelph.ca/cbs/

http://www.uoguelph.ca/cbs/postings/CBS_IP_2012.pdf
Our mission is to make fundamental discoveries in the life sciences and to disseminate these for the betterment of humankind and the sustainability of the natural environment.
Our goals are to:
*understand the fundamental mechanisms that underpin life from the level of the molecule to ecosystems in humans, plants, animals and microorganisms
*build and apply knowledge through our teaching and research, fostering enquiry-based approaches and skills development
*enhance the human condition and that of our biologically diverse planet through a better understanding of health, disease, and the interplay between preventive and remedial intervention
*comprehend the causes and consequences of biological variation and environmental sustainability
*focus our collective efforts on helping bring Guelph its due recognition as one of the leading international centres for biological research and education

what better academic home could there be for me :)

potential academic supervisor?
http://www.uoguelph.ca/hhns/people/facu ... tger.shtml
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:27 am

I emailed him we'll see if he gets back to me in business hours :)

update: he got back to me in under 2 hrs. yay :D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 am

oh interesting, I just was having a wonder about the vit E breakdown in the sunflower seed oil I just bought, found this
http://lipidlibrary.aocs.org/lipids/tocol/index.htm

who knew corn oil would be a go-to for complete vit E?? how cool is that

so then I went looking for a non-gmo corn oil supplier and found this:

SK Food International Introduces Non-GMO Corn Oil
http://www.skfood.com/SKFoodIntroducesN ... ornOil.htm

also:
Spectrum Unrefined Corn Oil
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=27

that looks like a new shopping list item - I know some local stores bring in spectrum oils. nice!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:42 pm

can't wait for dinner :) picked up an uncommon treat - premade seasoning. jerk marinade. have been roasting jerk-coated potatoes, just added the jerk-marinaded pork tenderloin. salad prep in progress.

also made a couple tasty soups lately. one was just sautéed onion and soaked green lentils with organic chicken bouillon, and curry paste. super for potassium. the other was sautéed onion and bacon, a can of diced tomatoes, navy beans, chicken broth, and spinach. with thyme and bay leaves. should make some nice easy lunches.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu May 02, 2013 11:04 am

so just checking out directions for my meeting at an unfamiliar uni. i will need to park next to the dairy barn. been a few yrs since i was at an ag campus :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu May 09, 2013 11:59 am

SOLID just found a study supporting a new high for a healthy average magnesium target. see page 1, serum targets, magnesium, may 2013 update (for the time being, highlighted in green)
props to nellie for asking the question that had this answer ;D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu May 09, 2013 12:04 pm

HEY guess what I had to have a neuro exam at physio today. no Babinski, and normal (not brisk) reflexes. no ankle clonus either. I kind of knew those issues had resolved, but I don't think it's been on paper with a med pro to this point. it's kind of like how you can't really tickle yourself, right? I knew I could scratch the bottom of my foot and not splay my toes, but he really dug in there and still, normal non Babinski reaction. me likes!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun May 12, 2013 6:49 am

REALLY enjoyed dinner last night. so easy, so delish. a huge mixed green salad with homemade olive and flax oil with balsamic vinegar dressing. topped with 'breakfast' (which I had missed due to volunteering..) ie two hard boiled eggs, 2 strips of local heritage bacon cooked and crumbled into bits, plus toast in the form of a whole wheat thin burger bun toasted and pan fried into garlic parmesan croutons. VERY NICE - and I needed some homemade goodness after the last couple days.
all fast food Friday, while driving hundreds of kms around the countryside. then doughnuts of all things, for breakfast at volunteering yesterday. was there a fruit tray there for the well-behaved? why yes there was.. but afaik not one person cracked the seal on that bad boy LOL
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby NHE » Sun May 12, 2013 4:09 pm

jimmylegs wrote:all fast food Friday, while driving hundreds of kms around the countryside. then doughnuts of all things, for breakfast at volunteering yesterday. was there a fruit tray there for the well-behaved? why yes there was.. but afaik not one person cracked the seal on that bad boy LOL

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun May 12, 2013 4:12 pm

yes I know, it's terrible :S should I have said donuts?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon May 13, 2013 4:30 pm

deadly coronavirus outbreak in the news:

WHO says new coronavirus may be passed person to person
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22502143
"The WHO's Gregory Hartl: 'Until we know how humans initially contract the virus, we can't control this'"

they didn't bring up this research:

Zn(2+) inhibits coronavirus and arterivirus RNA polymerase activity in vitro and zinc ionophores block the replication of these viruses in cell culture (2010).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21079686
Abstract
Increasing the intracellular Zn(2+) concentration with zinc-ionophores like pyrithione (PT) can efficiently impair the replication of a variety of RNA viruses, including poliovirus and influenza virus. For some viruses this effect has been attributed to interference with viral polyprotein processing. In this study we demonstrate that the combination of Zn(2+) and PT at low concentrations (2 µM Zn(2+) and 2 µM PT) inhibits the replication of SARS-coronavirus (SARS-CoV) and equine arteritis virus (EAV) in cell culture. The RNA synthesis of these two distantly related nidoviruses is catalyzed by an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase (RdRp), which is the core enzyme of their multiprotein replication and transcription complex (RTC). Using an activity assay for RTCs isolated from cells infected with SARS-CoV or EAV--thus eliminating the need for PT to transport Zn(2+) across the plasma membrane--we show that Zn(2+) efficiently inhibits the RNA-synthesizing activity of the RTCs of both viruses. Enzymatic studies using recombinant RdRps (SARS-CoV nsp12 and EAV nsp9) purified from E. coli subsequently revealed that Zn(2+) directly inhibited the in vitro activity of both nidovirus polymerases. More specifically, Zn(2+) was found to block the initiation step of EAV RNA synthesis, whereas in the case of the SARS-CoV RdRp elongation was inhibited and template binding reduced. By chelating Zn(2+) with MgEDTA, the inhibitory effect of the divalent cation could be reversed, which provides a novel experimental tool for in vitro studies of the molecular details of nidovirus replication and transcription.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon May 13, 2013 4:33 pm

ooh I have to hang onto this quote - didn't know about the >1000 transcription factors

Discovery of Human Zinc Deficiency: Its Impact on Human Health and Disease (2013)
http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/2/176.short
"In 1963, we knew of only 3 enzymes that required zinc for their activities, but now we know of >300 enzymes and >1000 transcription factors that are known to require zinc for their activities."
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Anonymoose » Wed May 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Well looky there!! Your zinc reactivates ppar alphas (very fenofibratish of it).
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 23090/full
That could explain its impact on your d3 levels. Ppara agonists significantly increase d3 (read that days ago and didn't bookmark). Zinc also works on lipid metabolism. Huh. Who knew? (Prolly you. Did you figure this out already?)
Anonymoose
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens