MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Re: MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Postby jimmylegs » Wed May 15, 2013 6:47 pm

good old zinc! :D
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Fri May 24, 2013 5:22 am

fascinating

Mild zinc deficiency in male and female rats: Early postnatal alterations in renal nitric oxide system and morphology
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0712003644
Objective
Fetal and postnatal zinc deficiencies induce an increase in arterial blood pressure and impair renal function in male adult rats. We therefore hypothesized that these renal alterations are present in early stages of life and that there are sexual differences in the adaptations to this nutritional injury. The aim was to study the effects of moderate zinc deficiency during fetal life and lactation on renal morphology, oxidative stress, apoptosis, and the nitric oxide system in male and female rats at 21 d of life.
Conclusion
Zinc deficiency during fetal life and lactation induces an early decrease in renal functional units, associated with a decrease in nitric oxide activity and an increase in oxidative stress, which would contribute to increased arterial blood pressure and renal dysfunction in adulthood. The sexual differences observed in this model may explain the dissimilar development of hypertension and renal diseases in adult life.
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri May 24, 2013 5:44 am

also interesting

Developmental programming of the metabolic syndrome by maternal nutritional imbalance: how strong is the evidence from experimental models in mammals?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1665360/
The incidence of the metabolic syndrome, a cluster of abnormalities focusing on insulin resistance and associated with high risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes, is reaching epidemic proportions. Prevalent in both developed and developing countries, the metabolic syndrome has largely been attributed to altered dietary and lifestyle factors that favour the development of central obesity. However, population-based studies have suggested that predisposition to the metabolic syndrome may be acquired very early in development through inappropriate fetal or neonatal nutrition. ... This review examines these studies and assesses whether the metabolic syndrome can be reliably induced by the interventions made. The validity of the different species, diets, feeding regimes and end-point measures used is also discussed. ... sound evidence supports the suggestion that elements of the metabolic syndrome may be induced by a wide variety of nutritional imbalances in maternal diet. Although there is much variation in both the inherent severity of dietary challenge, and the form of challenge, the various animal models seem to produce a converging phenotype.
It may reasonably be concluded that abnormal insulin/glucose homeostasis is programmed by in utero dietary insult. ... Impaired vascular endothelial cell dilatation is programmed by all dietary protocols, and appears to be one of the most robust phenotypes observed in offspring of diet challenged pregnancies. Given the accepted association of reduced endothelium-dependent dilatation within insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes in man and the proposal for an aetiological role, the prevalence of this defect in the different models suggests an important determinant in evolution of the offspring phenotypes reported... Offspring phenotypic characteristics described akin to those of the metabolic syndrome are also induced by antenatal administration of glucocorticoids (Seckl et al 2000; Dodic et al 2002; O'Regan et al 2003) and interventional studies imply a role for activation of the maternal HPA axis in some of the models described. However, this is not a proven stimulus in all models. Other pathways, e.g. maternal hyperglycaemia, mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidant stress, are also implicated...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri May 24, 2013 6:28 am

A novel oral nutraceutical formula of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids with vitamins (PLP10) in relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled proof-of-concept clinical trial
http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/4/e002170.short
In this small proof-of-concept, randomised, double-blind clinical trial; the PLP10 treatment significantly reduced the ARR and the risk of sustained disability progression without any reported serious adverse events. Larger studies are needed to further assess the safety and efficacy of PLP10.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby CureOrBust » Fri May 24, 2013 4:50 pm

In case anyone was wondering what "PLP10" was, from the link jimmylegs posted.
Interventions: The first intervention (A) was composed of Ω-3 and Ω-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids at 1:1 wt/wt. Specifically, the Ω-3 fatty acids were docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid at 3:1 wt/wt, and the Ω-6 fatty acids were linoleic acid and γ-linolenic acid at 2:1 wt/wt. This intervention also included minor quantities of other specific polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fatty acids as well as vitamin A and vitamin E (α-tocopherol). The second intervention (B, PLP10) was a combination of A and γ-tocopherol. The third intervention (C) was γ-tocopherol alone. The fourth group of 20 participants received placebo. The interventions were administered per os (by mouth) once daily, 30 min before dinner for 30 months.

They give all the ratio's, but seem to be missing the actual amounts? (I did only skim read....)

Also, I just saw that they specifically define vitamin E as "α-tocopherol", but do not do the same/similar for "γ-tocopherol" :? I thought they were both Vitamin E variants.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri May 24, 2013 5:39 pm

they are, they are saying that they were testing three different blends of vit E, one for each different intervention group.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sat May 25, 2013 5:39 am

kind of an oversight to give vit a without zinc though, what with zinc being lower on average in ms patients, and also being required for vit a utilization... guess that can be a separate study :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby CureOrBust » Sat May 25, 2013 6:06 pm

jimmylegs wrote:kind of an oversight to give vit a without zinc though, what with zinc being lower on average in ms patients, and also being required for vit a utilization... guess that can be a separate study :)
I think you are misreading it. They are not giving Vitamin A, they have labelled the interventions as A, B & C. In hindsight, they should of probably used numbers or X, Y & Z...
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sat May 25, 2013 6:36 pm

maybe. i'm still seeing (A) (B) and (C) interventions, two of which include vitamin a.

"The first intervention (A) was composed of ... vitamin A and vitamin E (α-tocopherol)...
The second intervention (B, PLP10) was a combination of A and γ-tocopherol...
The third intervention (C) was γ-tocopherol alone."

you can see it better in table 1 on page 5 of the pdf file
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby CureOrBust » Sun May 26, 2013 4:42 am

nope, your right :oops: Vitamin A was in Intervention A, which was the basis for interventions A & B. I personally wouldn't see it so much as an oversight than limiting the treatment variables.

Which does actually touch on the idea of if you know of any published studies which simply go about bringing MS sufferers up to "optimal" levels (and yes I know you see these levels as sub-optimal) for vitamin/minerals & other blood measurements, as compared to no treatment / before treatment?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun May 26, 2013 6:25 am

there are no such studies that i am aware of. yet. :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon May 27, 2013 5:41 am

here's something. i'm sure we'd all disagree re the bar set in this study for sufficiency. and i'd really like to see the bone mineral density data. and not just wrt calcium! :)

What is needed to keep persons with multiple sclerosis vitamin D-sufficient throughout the year? (Jan 2013)
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 012-6611-6
"We collected data on vitamin D intake and UV-exposure and repeatedly measured serum 25(OH)D levels. Half of the participants had sufficient winter vitamin D levels at baseline (≥50 nmol/l). Vitamin D status was predicted by sun exposure during the last 3 months and by ingested vitamin D from diet and supplements. ... MS patients who have no sun exposure and low dietary vitamin D intake during the winter months should be recommended to take vitamin D supplements to achieve serum 25(OH)D levels of at least 50 nmol/l."
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon May 27, 2013 5:52 am

I really need to see full text on this one.

Vitamin A and systemic inflammation as protective factors in multiple sclerosis (Jan 2013)
http://msj.sagepub.com/content/early/20 ... 2.abstract
"Results: In prospective samples, RBP levels within the second quintile (vs. the first) were associated with a lower MS risk (OR = 0.38, 95% CI 0.19–0.74). No effect on MS risk in the offspring by gestational RBP levels was found. In young subjects hs-CRP levels ≥10 mg/l in prospective samples were associated with a lower MS risk (OR = 0.36, 95% CI 0.14–0.95)."

have to wonder what else might be going on that was not measured here, and question the idea of systemic inflammation in youth being protective against ms, esp given these ranges re heart disease:

hs-CRP
http://labtestsonline.org/understanding ... p/tab/test
"The American Heart Association and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have defined risk groups as follows:
Low risk: less than 1.0 mg/L
Average risk: 1.0 to 3.0 mg/L
High risk: above 3.0 mg/L"

curious!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon May 27, 2013 5:56 am

If I had clinically isolated syndrome with magnetic resonance imaging diagnostic of multiple sclerosis, I would take vitamin D 10,000 IU daily: Yes (Feb 2013)
http://msj.sagepub.com/content/19/2/137.short

and when mineral deficit started to take its toll, hopefully there would be another study advising on how to balance minerals with a daily oral intake that high over the long term.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Tue May 28, 2013 7:33 am

Nutritional Quality of Organic Versus Conventional Fruits, Vegetables, and Grains (2001)
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10 ... alCode=acm
Organic crops contained significantly more vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus and significantly less nitrates than conventional crops. There were nonsignificant trends showing less protein but of a better quality and a higher content of nutritionally significant minerals with lower amounts of some heavy metals in organic crops compared to conventional ones.

another article reviewing the above study provides more specifics:

...Nutritional Superiority of Plant-Based Organic Foods
http://www.organic-center.org/reportfil ... NAL_V2.pdf

The nutrients studied and percentage differences of organic food relative to conventional foods were:
• Vitamin C, +27%
• Iron, +21%
• Magnesium, +29%
• Phosphorous, +14%
• Nitrates, -15%
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens