MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Re: MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Postby jimmylegs » Fri May 31, 2013 8:09 am

can I just say that my physiotherapy appointments, mostly but not all with the same person, have been universally amazing and so different from the last time I needed physio from a workplace injury? until these latest rounds of therapy I had never been turned into a human pretzel before but let me tell you.. it's painful and can be pretty embarrassing but hey if it works it works. my usual therapist spent a couple weeks on my thoracic spine flexibility and presto, there went the chronic c-spine pain. down to virtually nothing by comparison. and they figured out that some pain I had in my hip was b/c my sacroiliac joint had been out of alignment. the other therapist that looked after me when the usual guy was on vacay happened to be the first one to really have it on the agenda, and she sorted it out in no time. I must have mentioned previously that she also mentioned that swinging my leg would help with the healing process b/c the motion of walking delivers nutrients to the tissue in the knee, and if you can't walk normally, swinging at least gets the synovial fluid moving in similar ways. totally interesting experience overall.
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:07 am

Trace Elements in Critically Ill Patients (2013)
http://journals.lww.com/journalofinfusi ... nts.2.aspx
"Trace elements are important nutrients for the critically ill patient. These minerals are routinely included in enteral nutrition and parenteral nutrition regimens. There are 5 individual trace elements (chromium, copper, manganese, selenium, and zinc) that are available for intravenous use as separate infusions when necessary based on a thorough clinical assessment. Intravenous administration of trace elements will improve measured biomarkers and may also improve patient outcome. The selected regimen for each trace element is based on the patient presentation and the available evidence."

exactly.
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:53 am

want2bike wrote:Vitamin D is a sunshine vitamin and not sure you can ever get enough vitamin D from diet alone. I was taking cod liver oil and eating salmon and was still deficient in vitamin D. As we get older our bodies have a problem absorbing the vitamins and minerals. It is important for us to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables so we can get all the nutrients. Some vegans think they can eat the process foods and that is OK You need to eat the whole food if you want to get all the vitamins and minerals. Some people are deficient in vitamins and minerals because of the heavy metals they have in their bodies. These heavy metals occupy places on the cell that were made for other minerals. IF you have a mouth full of amalgam filling there is a good chance you will be zinc deficient. Mercury has a higher affinity for the cell and will replace the zinc. Some people are deficient in iodine because of the chlorine, fluorine and bromide they are consuming. I could be wrong but I believe God when he put Adam and Eve in the garden and told them to eat the fruits and vegetables. God put all the nutrients in the vegetables and instructed us to eat them if we want good health. Our bodies weren't designed to eat animals and there is much evidence animals make us sick. My belief is MS is a cause by many things and when you body get more toxins than it can deal with we get sick. Doesn't matter what they name the disease but it is the results of too many toxins and not enough nutrients. There is a problem when we try and figure out which nutrients we need since each of us is different. Sorry you feel be a vegan is responsible for you MS but there are many healthy vegans in our world. The main problem vegans have today is the GMO issue and factory farms. That is not only a vegan problem but they are feeding these GMO foods to the animals. This along with the antibiotics, steroids and pesticides in our environment makes for very sick animals. It is a sick world we live in and each of us must find out what works for us. Since we are all different each of us must find the correct diet.

can't respond now, just posting for when I have time later
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:49 pm

okay here we go
want2bike wrote:Vitamin D is a sunshine vitamin and not sure you can ever get enough vitamin D from diet alone.

depends on the diet

Local Cultural Animal Food Contributes High Levels of Nutrients for Arctic Canadian Indigenous Adults and Children
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/137/4/1110.full.pdf
"When traditional meats or fish were included, daily intakes were significantly higher in percentage of energy as protein and many micronutrients, including vitamin D, vitamin E, riboflavin, vitamin B-6, iron, zinc, copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, and selenium than when [market foods] were consumed."

Decreasing Traditional Food Use Affects Diet Quality for Adult Dene/Me´tis in 16 Communities of the Canadian Northwest Territories
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/127/11/2179.full.pdf
"Protein intake was generally high, as were intakes of iron and zinc, which can be expected to be highly bioavailable in this meat-rich diet."

want2bike wrote:I was taking cod liver oil and eating salmon and was still deficient in vitamin D.
neither necessarily providing much in terms of d3 cofactors. about cofactors: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vi ... -minerals/

wahooo! fresh science! :D this one is fantastic. vegetarian diets and impact on vit d cofactors...

Effect of vegetarian diets on zinc status: a systematic review and meta-analysis of studies in humans (may 29 2013)
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 9/abstract
"Dietary zinc intakes and serum zinc concentrations were significantly lower (−0.88 ± 0.15 mg day−1, P < 0.001 and −0.93 ± 0.27 µmol L−1, P = 0.001 respectively; mean ± standard error) in populations that followed habitual vegetarian diets compared with non-vegetarians."

my bloodwork shows more than triple the dose response to vit d3 supplementation, after correcting zinc deficiency resulting from 15yrs of total vegan diet. it really all hangs together so nicely.

want2bike wrote:As we get older our bodies have a problem absorbing the vitamins and minerals.
in part a side effect of zinc deficiency.

Zinc deficiency in elderly patients.
http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/8353362

luckily zinc absorption is not impaired in the elderly, in spite of deficiency being so common. zinc absorption has more to do with composition of the diet than age:

Zinc absorption in healthy elderly humans and the effect of diet.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/58/5/690.short

want2bike wrote:It is important for us to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables so we can get all the nutrients.
I totally agree. whole, colourful, nutrient-dense selections, balanced wrt inflammation factor ratings.

that's all for now, more later :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:20 pm

just bumping the earlier post b/c I edited it so much over the last short while
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:57 am

a side note...

Iron and zinc status in multiple sclerosis patients with pressure sores (1988)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3396523
"For both groups, intakes of energy, folate, vitamin D, iron and zinc were less than recommended values. Mean plasma levels of albumin and iron were towards the lower limit of the normal range, whilst that for zinc was considerably less than the normal range. Plasma TIBC was slightly above the normal range. Levels of plasma iron and zinc were significantly lower in the pressure sore group. The data indicate that severely disabled hospitalized patients with multiple sclerosis may be at risk of poor nutritional status."

yep.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:16 pm

after moaning about school work for years upon years I am finally watching my own convocation ceremony (remotely) :) do they mention absentees in convocation ceremonies?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby KMG » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 am

New to this thread:

I was reading your post regarding your success with physiotherapy and very intrigued. In the past 2 years my spasticity and overall decrease in flexibility is debilitating to the point I'm waiting for a power chair for distances more than 10-15 feet.

I have tried numerous modalities to improve my flexibility and pain to no avail. The PT I went to confined me to meaningless low weight repetitions and overall BS. I NEED to find a physiotherapy group/practitioner on Long Island NY to assist with professional stretching. Massage is ok but it's stretching in my Tspine, legs, hamstrings and adductors that WILL make improvement. There is a company I found Stretch Zone in FLA and they're soon expanding to NY.

Any advice on how you found such a dynamic provider such as yours would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
KMG
Getting to Know You...

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:08 am

hi kmg, what is your magnesium status, iima? do you have a dietary/supplement regimen? i'd be wondering if your biochemistry could use tweaking.

I would think if you call physiotherapists in your area, and ask them for contacts for professionals offering services that match your specific focus, maybe that would turn up some names. personally, I just lucked out. I don't even think i'm seeing the specific person I was referred to at that particular office!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby KMG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Magnesium is 2.0 and not sure what iima is.

As stated earlier I'm new to the thread. I look forward to reading through your incredibly thorough information. I will take the advice and start calling around for a better PT resource for my needs.

I recently started seeing a nutritionist/Applied Kinesiology Chiropractor for assistance for nutritional/supplement needs. She's a big fan of Dr. David Perlmutter Neuro in Fla written books on MS and has his line of supps. She's recommending high protein e.g. 8-10 eggs including yolk weekly, peanut butter, nuts, seeds, coconut oil.

May 2012 I went through HSCT with Dr. Burt in Chicago. It did not work and rapid clinical progression continues since Tysabri cessation in May/2012. Dx in 2004 very stable e.g. marathon/triathlon performer until 2011.

Related to my dietary/supplemental intake:

Daily Supplements:

Acetyl L Carnitine 400mg
N Acetyl L Cysteine 150mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid 100mg
CoQ10 1,000mg
Beta Carotene 800mg
Vitamin B12 1,000mg
Vitamin C 500mg
Folate 2,000mg
Potassium 100mg
Magnesium 250mg
Vitamin D 5,000mg
Fish Oil- DHA 1,200 mg Calamari oil 2,400mg

Dietary Regimen:

50% vegetables (25% raw)
3-4 servings fruit
3-4 servings nuts, seeds, raisins
4-6 eggs/week
grilled chicken 2-3/week
broiled fish 1-2/week
beef 1-2/week
pasta/rice 1-2/week
little to no dairy

Any advice on tweaking supp/dietary regimen would be appreciated!!

Kevin
KMG
Getting to Know You...

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:01 am

hi kevin

sorry! iima is 'if I may ask'.

your mag is on the low side for sure.. keep it 2.3-2.7 mmol/L to match 'healthy controls'

eggs, nuts, seeds, all sounds great to me!

arg!!! another case of athletic nutrient depletion :S that's ok I have helped with that successfully before :) typical to have depleted magnesium.

re the daily regimen:

what form is that magnesium?

re 5000mg vit d3. i'll assume you mean IU!!

see if you can find zinc citrate 50mg blended with 2mg copper citrate

also I need the groupings and timings for how you take all these various supplements through the day.

how do you feel about having nutritional bloodwork done, ie via Life Extension?

diet looks pretty awesome! can you list me the vegetables please? for ones that you consider your veg 'staples', would you be able to estimate servings per week and approx. serving sizes on those? also a list of the fruits would be good too. just the names for now maybe more detail later.

ttfn!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:04 pm

DIE, COMMON COLD, DIEEEE!!
dammit I ate some bread like a fool today, when I knew I was on the edge.. after cheating and eating pastry not once but twice in the last 24 hours. while hanging out in a houseful of infected relatives. pure genius. taking the usual counter measures against this suspiciously scratchy-feeling throat :S GO A-C-E-S-Z!!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:04 am

omg really??? :S brilliant science folks, hot off the presses.
this is NOT the kind of 'tissue' beneficiary that I usually think of where nutrients are concerned :S

Introducing Antibacterial Properties to Paper Towels Through the Use of Selenium Nanoparticles (May 2013)
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/di ... id=8824007
Bacterial infections are commonly found on paper towels and other paper products leading to the potential spread of bacteria and consequent health concerns. The objective of this in vitro study was to introduce antibacterial properties to paper towel surfaces by coating them with selenium nanoparticles. Scanning electron microscopy was used to measure the size and distribution of the selenium coatings on the paper towels. Atomic force microscopy was used to measure the surface roughness of paper towels before and after coated with selenium nanoparticles. The amount of selenium precipitated on the paper towels was measured by atomic absorption spectroscopy. In vitro bacterial studies with Staphylococcus aureus were conducted to assess the effectiveness of the selenium coating at inhibiting bacterial growth. Results showed that the selenium nanoparticles coated on the paper towel surface were well distributed and semispherical about 50nm in diameter. Most importantly, the selenium nanoparticle coated paper towels inhibited S. aureus growth by 90% after 24 hours and 72 hours compared with the uncoated paper towels. Thus, the study showed that nano-selenium coated paper towels may lead to an increased eradication of bacteria to more effectively clean a wide-range of clinical environments, thus, improving health.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:17 pm

if you're in the UK, i found this chain of supplement shops. looks good for things like zinc/copper by solaray, and magnesium glycinate (by 'nutri').
https://www.revital.co.uk/
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:26 am

i just updated the first post on page one with some more detailed info under the 'supplements' heading.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens