MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Re: MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Postby THX1138 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:25 pm

jimmylegs, I appreciate your summarizing.

and I like your idea:
i think i will plot these out some time for a quick easy graphic representation. in big letters and flashy colours so that I don't lose this important piece of info EVER AGAIN

THX1138
THX1138
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:28 pm

thx thx :)

so, the graph doesn't work out too well. too many missing data points. and if I interpolate so that the graph works, i'm just making the graph illustrate my point rather than the raw data doing it. so, testing needs to be more systematic in future. starting tomorrow.

so, for lack of a pretty picture, the main points are these:
1) zinc and uric acid levels are positively correlated, and
2) zinc and iron levels are inversely correlated.

duh. :S
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:07 am

so it's halibut season apparently. a coincidence since I just made a bit of a resolution to introduce it on a once-monthly basis. just picked some up, noting the ridiculous price, in the effort to diversify dietary sources of magnesium, and benefit from the other goodies halibut has to offer.

lucky this chunk of fish is a good 5 servings (just over 21 oz) and once I eat a bit of the fresh stuff I will parcel it out and freeze it, which should then last me for a good long time. felt like I was buying gold :S lol! more than $6 per serving. pricey coming from the grocery store, but up against restaurant prices, I can deal.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... nalprofile
Halibut is an excellent source of selenium, a very good source of protein, niacin, phosphorus and magnesium, and a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and potassium.

in-depth profile http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... le&dbid=52
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Anonymoose » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:15 pm

JL,
Have you seen this?
http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2 ... 02-p95.pdf

Zinc and selenium!
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:04 pm

not specifically, but it looks interesting :)

I used zinc and selenium on a family member's chronic EBV and kicked its butt, with lab results to prove it. I didn't use JUST selenium and zinc, but of course they were big factors :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm

OK so I had a whackload of blood taken today. should be interesting when those results come in.

oh and my blood pressure was garbage. which I knew, from how I felt. I have been naughty since march and it's come home to roost I guess :S

and the doc was sort of meh about my mri. basically just said to go over it with the neuro. who will be a new guy. sort of. he's the guy who finalized my dx but that is the only time I've ever seen him. first neuro visit since 07. that's what I get for landing on my head I guess! note to self. no more big crashes.

oh and my surgery date got finalized today. yay, I can't wait for the general anaesthetic. :roll: better pick up a good b-complex and get the defenses mobilized :S
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:46 am

searching for something else, but noted this with interest:

Effect of fluoride on the mobilization of skeletal magnesium and soft-tissue calcinosis during acute magnesium deficiency in the rat.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1271120
Abstract
To investigate the effect of fluoride on the mobilization of skeletal magnesium and on kidney calcification during magnesium depletion, male Holtzman rats were fed a magnesium-sufficient diet (400 ppm of magnesium) and drinking water containing either 0, 50 or 100 ppm of fluoride for a 20-day period prior to the initiation of magnesium deficiency. The high fluoride regimen resulted in a 100-fold increase in the fluoride content of the skeleton. On day 20 magnesium depletion was initiated by feeding the animals a diet containing 12 ppm of magnesium. Over a 4-week period of magnesium deprivation, a 26% decrease of the total magnesium in the humeri was observed. Fluoride exerted a significant effect in retarding the mobilization of skeletal magnesium. Four weeks of magnesium deficiency was associated with a decreased rate of skeletal mineral accretion and with an increase in the kidney calcium content. The decreased rate of mineral accretion was accentuated by the administration of fluoride during the deficiency state. While fluoride exerted an initial protective effect on calcinosis of the kidneys, the overall effect of the administration of fluoride during magnesium deficiency was to promote calcification of the kidneys rather than to prevent it.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:01 am

Changes in serum magnesium concentration after strenuous exercise.
*Erratum in J Am Coll Nutr 1988 Feb;7(1):following 88. (can't find this, will have to come back to it)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3453693
Serum magnesium concentration (S-Mg) was measured in 20 highly trained young men (mean age 19.5, +/- 0.5, range 18-20.5) before, and at 1 hour, 24 hours, 72 hours, and 3 months after a 120 km hike. As found in previous studies, S-Mg was significantly decreased at the end of the hike (p less than 0.001, [corrected] Student's t-test). In this group S-Mg had risen significantly after 24 hours in relation to the value at 1 hour (but not to starting value); yet, at 72 hours and 3 months later, it was once more significantly lower than the starting value (p less than 0.001 and p less than 0.05, respectively, Student's t-test). A marked elevation in serum creatine kinase activity (CK) suggests that the rise in S-Mg observed at 24 hours is the result of either exertional rhabdomyolysis or loss of membrane integrity, as a result of the strenuous exertion, since the CK had fallen sharply by 72 hours after the hike. The biphasic, statistically significant, lowering of S-Mg which persisted after 3 months suggests that strenuous exertion induces magnesium deficiency.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:09 pm

you know who I miss? bromley.
ian, where are you! we're short on comedy lately.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 pm

looks like I forgot to post that my surgery got UNfinalized now :S waiting game ugh

anyway, in other news have been having a great season with local produce!! first there was the flat of strawberries, then one of raspberries and I managed to stock up on bacon and sausage the same day. then in came the blueberries, and then today the cherries. plus this afternoon's farm circuit yielded 5 pints of blackcurrants, some beets, garlic, and romas at the first place, and then at our second stop, two cute tiny little roaster chickens and a dozen eggs. oh and some kale.

most of the fruit is frozen for the year now, I have one more basket of cherries to pit (yes I AM having a 'pitty' party :roll:) and then it'll be sorting through the blackcurrants. I cooked the beets, they'll be pickled next. the romas are going into salsa.

amazing how much you can accomplish when you can't work!

the freezer looks amazing :D whee!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:32 pm

hey so my bloodwork is in but I haven't got all the results yet. next week I will get it sorted out.

the tidbit I do have is: mildly elevated cholesterol. I asked for numbers for total, hdl and ldl. as you'd expect, hdl is on the low side, ldl needs to come down a smidge or a lot depending which rubric you use, and for total I am over the lowest risk limit (up to 5.2) by 0.02.

so. I guess this means my four month run with the klenner-style 2 egg breakfast is over :) kinda figured I was pushing it LOL. *cough*bacon*cough*cheese*cough*

good thing i'm not going to have many more of these lounge around the house days on my schedule!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:49 am

well, that didn't happen! suddenly got VERY busy :S
extremely nice to sleep in today :D had my first 2 egg breakfast in a long time. now for some coffee...
have to work on getting those results next week!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:00 am

got dehydrated again over the course of the work week :S bad girl. have to start keeping water at the desk or i'm done. I was collecting herbs in the garden yesterday eve, so lots of bending down to reach things, and came the closest to passing out as I have in years. hard to describe but you know that weird tingle in your head and face, sort of like your brain has to sneeze? drinking lots of agua today :S

oh and didn't have time to get my bloodwork. again. must put it firmly on tomorrow's agenda!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:32 am

lc... interesting:

Effect of zinc supplementation on insulin resistance and components of the metabolic syndrome in prepubertal obese children
http://www.hormones.gr/533/article/article.html
After receiving zinc, the mean fasting plasma glucose (FPG), insulin and HOMA-IR decreased significantly... Besides lifestyle modification, zinc supplementation might be considered as a useful and safe additional intervention treatment for improvement of cardiometabolic risk factors related to childhood obesity.

Magnesium Deficiency Is Associated With Insulin Resistance in Obese Children
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... 1175.short
Serum magnesium was inversely correlated with fasting insulin (rs = −0.36 [95% CI −0.59 to −0.08]; P = 0.011) ... Dietary magnesium intake was significantly lower in obese children (obese: 0.12 ± 0.004 vs. lean: 0.14 ± 0.004 mg/kcal; P = 0.003). Dietary magnesium intake was inversely associated with fasting insulin (−0.43 [−0.64 to −0.16]; P = 0.002)...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby lyndacarol » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:09 am

jimmylegs wrote:lc... interesting:

Effect of zinc supplementation on insulin resistance and components of the metabolic syndrome in prepubertal obese children
http://www.hormones.gr/533/article/article.html
After receiving zinc, the mean fasting plasma glucose (FPG), insulin and HOMA-IR decreased significantly... Besides lifestyle modification, zinc supplementation might be considered as a useful and safe additional intervention treatment for improvement of cardiometabolic risk factors related to childhood obesity.

Magnesium Deficiency Is Associated With Insulin Resistance in Obese Children
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... 1175.short
Serum magnesium was inversely correlated with fasting insulin (rs = −0.36 [95% CI −0.59 to −0.08]; P = 0.011) ... Dietary magnesium intake was significantly lower in obese children (obese: 0.12 ± 0.004 vs. lean: 0.14 ± 0.004 mg/kcal; P = 0.003). Dietary magnesium intake was inversely associated with fasting insulin (−0.43 [−0.64 to −0.16]; P = 0.002)...

Thank you, JL. It is VERY interesting.

I accept that there is a correlation between zinc/magnesium and insulin, but I don't understand the reasons for the relationship – which might be the cause and which might be the effect.??? Will increasing the magnesium level lower my insulin level OR is a magnesium level low because the insulin level is high? Likewise with zinc.???
lyndacarol
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens