MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Re: MS Nutrition-summary pts 1st post, p.1

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:43 am

wow low d3! good idea to take action on that and other essential nutrients. welcome to TiMS :) let me know if you have any questions
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:56 pm

after a big shop Friday and an afternoon out yesterday, today was another busy sunday in the kitchen.

first my good old egg and veg breakfast, no bacon this time, i'm not opening another pack til sept.

started the longer term prep work by putting up a new batch of 5-berry mix from the frozen berry stockpiles in the deep freeze. then cooked up my cup of steel cut oats. and portioned it out into containers with the fruit etc. so the oatmeal berry walnut and flax breakfasts for the next few days are lined up.

roasted an eggplant and whizzed it up with salt lemon garlic and tahini, also pressure cooked a cup of chick peas and whizzed them up with salt lemon garlic tahini and cumin. so I have small batches of baba ganoush and hummous at hand.

spanakopita: never a small job although I think i'm getting more efficient with the process. prepped and wilted all the greens, mixed up with egg and feta, wrapped the whole thing up in phyllo, baked 25 mins, and it's good to go. cut it up into four servings, portioned it out into lunch containers. just need to make a little tzatziki.. TOMORROW.

since I had decided to leave the kale out of the pie, I steamed it up separately for future side dishes with something or other.

the spanakopita had to share the oven with a nice local grass fed rump roast, which I had scored and stuffed with garlic salt and pep, then seared, and then slow cooked in a cup of bouillon with new potatoes and onion, and it came out SO TENDER AND DELISH. had it for sunday dinner. planning to use the leftovers for cold cuts in salad wraps, for when I am tired of spinach pie :)

somewhere in there I had poured some jerk marinade over a pork tenderloin and let it sit there a few hours, eventually it went into the toaster oven to get roasted up nicely. more fodder for wraps.

after the pork was out of the little oven I put in a huge sweet potato. that's put aside with the kale for easy side dishes later.

so, didn't really have lunch today but dinner was great - altogether it was roast beef with horseradish, broccoli, carrot, onion, potato and gravy. making myself hungry again thinking about it :D
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby shellyb21 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:15 pm

We pulled pork for lunch had leftover keenwa cream of chiken casoroll for dinner was good i have to get on top of nutrition doing best to eat healthy and eat my vitemins my body is so sleepy and pain has been huge :( from car accident trying to get on top of me is a hard road :(has others find eating no gluten good for there ms ?
shellyb21
Getting to Know You...

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:00 am

hi shelly :) what vitamins do you currently take? sorry to hear you've been having a rough time from the accident :( curious if you've worked with your magnesium status at all?

I am not totally gluten free but I do limit. processing gluten costs your body a LOT in certain important nutrients. so if you are trying to build your levels of nutrients up - particularly essential minerals - then keeping gluten intake under control is very wise. personally I still like some pizza every now and then :) once a month basically. and when I buy bread I choose one that is made with sprouted flour. the sprouting process helps reduce the gluten content in the flour. mind you it will still take me months to go through a single loaf. anyway, there are all kinds of little tricks like that. because I do eat limited amounts of dairy, eggs, sugar, legumes and so on, that are considered taboo for ms (some of them - dairy legumes/phytates and sugar in particular - can deplete zinc resources), I make sure to measure how my nutrients are doing. not as regularly as I should - I have been shown up in that respect by TiMS member 'brm' who keeps excellent records on nutrient levels :D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby shellyb21 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:16 am

My d was almost none been taking 50000 a week my b12 take shot every other week 1000 iu and take multivitamin daily that's it still so tired I just started the new ms drug techfidera its been OK but only on a month have to have app to remind me :( been forgetting to do things so its crazy make healthy foods kids won't try makes me sad I have migraine this morning :( love pizza too lol been trying to eat gluten free so hard because I don't cook a lot so need things quick to make or premade did make some veggies tonight with tumuric and pepper in coconut oil :) the tiredness is overwhelming I hope I can get my body to wake up :) thanks so much for responding :)
shellyb21
Getting to Know You...

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:55 pm

hey there, do have a read of the first post on this thread.. consider working on 1) magnesium to address fatigue and 2) working on zinc to maximize absorption from ingested D3 or injected b12.
I just got my blood work back and my levels are CRAP. time to get out and replace the things I've run out of over the last while :S

fyi lots of pitfalls associated with supplementing magnesium and zinc - I can help you choose the right stuff so that you don't risk creating imbalances or wasting money on products that could be difficult if not impossible to absorb.

hope you feel better soon!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Anonymoose » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:07 pm

jimmylegs wrote:hey there, do have a read of the first post on this thread.. consider working on 1) magnesium to address fatigue and 2) working on zinc to maximize absorption from ingested D3 or injected b12.
I just got my blood work back and my levels are CRAP. time to get out and replace the things I've run out of over the last while :S

fyi lots of pitfalls associated with supplementing magnesium and zinc - I can help you choose the right stuff so that you don't risk creating imbalances or wasting money on products that could be difficult if not impossible to absorb.

hope you feel better soon!

Whaaaaattt? Levels are crap? That's ridiculous considering the way you eat.

I am curious to see what happens to my levels post rituximab. There has to be something depleting or preventing our nutrient absorption.

Getteth thee to the vitamin shoppery!
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:33 pm

k I just noticed something absolutely DISGRACEFUL on my lab work.

my latest zinc level is only 13.7 umol/L. the lab is providing the following 'normal' range: 8.7-19.1 umol/L.

I know for a fact that that 8.7 level at the low end is mine from years ago when I first detected deficiency. at that time the bottom end of the range was much higher and my 8.7 flagged as low. by a long way. next test, there was my 8.7 showing as the lower cutoff on the 'normal' range.

i'm reasonably confident that the 19.1 at the top end is also mine, from going too long after the initial treatment to correct deficiency was put in place, to the follow up testing.

the WHO range is 11.5-18.5 and that's bad enough as it is without telling people their zinc levels are 'normal' right down to 8.7, which is what will be happening to any of the patients who request zinc testing and then use the same facility. this kind of CRAP is killing people.

I thought this range expansion problem had been fixed before. but it must just have been my using a different lab in a different part of town, for one set of tests. so I saw a better range for one printout. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, call the papers, my lab is like every other lab in the world :S ugh.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:35 pm

yes anon I will be getting myself to the shops post-haste and forthwith!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby shellyb21 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 am

Sorry slept whole day had huge migraine :( what vitamins do you trust ? On sink and the other would like to try to wake me up and be moving daily
shellyb21
Getting to Know You...

Postby shellyb21 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:15 am

Zinc and magnesium wow not sink lol spell check changed
shellyb21
Getting to Know You...

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:49 am

sorry to hear you had a migraine :S no fun. a good way to start is to test serum levels of key nutrients, so that you know exactly how hard you will have to work at achieving targets.

first thing with zinc and magnesium is to boost food sources and try to ensure you are getting the recommended daily amount from food.

zinc foods: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... #foodchart

magnesium foods http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... #foodchart

for both of these tables, work with the amount (mg) and daily value (%) columns to help you decide when you have met daily needs

notice that the chard and spinach amounts are based on wilted/cooked leaves. it must be cooked in order to be densely packed enough to hit the values you are after. also, it should be boiled and drained to removed excess oxalic acid. swiss chard should be dropped into boiling water and left for 3 minutes. with spinach you can get away with one or two minutes. i often eat these buttered with a splash of vinegar and a little salt.

for zinc, a 50mg zinc citrate product is good - but it must be balanced with 2-3mg copper, esp. if you have to take it for a longer time period.

magnesium is notoriously difficult to supplement. the most absorbable oral supplement form I know about is magnesium glycinate. other forms can give you the runs in a rather high intensity way if you take too much.

another option is to soak in a magnesium solution. you can hunt down magnesium sulfate crystals (Epsom salts) which should be pretty easy, or if you can track down a specialty health product store you might be able to find magnesium chloride flakes. either way, mix them into a bath according to package directions and you can absorb some of the mag through your skin.

there that's enough to read and take in for now Image
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby THX1138 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:41 pm

another option is to soak in a magnesium solution. you can hunt down magnesium sulfate crystals (Epsom salts) which should be pretty easy, or if you can track down a specialty health product store you might be able to find magnesium chloride flakes. either way, mix them into a bath according to package directions and you can absorb some of the mag through your skin.

What I like about transdermal magnesium products (flakes, oil, gel, lotion) is that when magnesium is absorbed though the skin, it never causes stool softening because it never enters the intestine.

I get my Mg flakes from amazon (I buy the clinical pack - best value) and the Mg oil from swansonvitamins.com

THX1138
THX1138
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:13 pm

and, there are online recipes for making magnesium 'oil' from the chloride flakes and water
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby shellyb21 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks lots of reading wow :)
shellyb21
Getting to Know You...

PreviousNext

Return to Regimens