Just Started Tecfidera

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
marcsbey

Just Started Tecfidera

Post by marcsbey »

Hello everyone!

I just started taking Tecfidera. I was officially diagnosed this August after an MRI showed two areas of inflammation. This is day 2 of the medication.

I wanted to wait to see if I would have any of the side effects I'd been hearing about and...so far, so good. I set the alarm on my smart phone to remind me to take it at 8am and 8pm. I believe I haven't had any side effects, at least not now, because I did the following:

Took a baby aspirin at 7am
Cooked and ate a full breakfast (2 eggs, 2 strips of bacon)
Drank a glass of water with the Tecfidera at 8am.

I did the same thing in the evening with the baby aspirin at 7pm and I took the medication right after I completed dinner, around 8pm.

If anything happens, I'll let you know. But I am thankfully glad that nothing has happened so far. I am also taking vitamin B. Will add vitamins D, C and others as I get a regimen going. More later.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Just Started Tecfidera

Post by Scott1 »

Why do you take the aspirin?

Regards
Lucky2be

Post by Lucky2be »

Scott1 wrote:Why do you take the aspirin?

Regards
Yeah why aspirin?
Lucky to be here! Dx 6/2014 at 29. Tecfidera since 10/2014.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Lucky2be wrote:
Scott1 wrote:Why do you take the aspirin?

Regards
Yeah why aspirin?
It's recommended in the Prescribing Information to decrease flushing.

http://www.tecfidera.com/pdfs/full-prescribing-info.pdf
administration of non-enteric coated aspirin (up to a dose of 325 mg) 30 minutes prior to TECFIDERA dosing may reduce the incidence or severity of flushing
SomethingClever

Post by SomethingClever »

I just started Sunday 3/29/15. No issues in the first few days other than some minor flushing and some rash-like stuff on my arms but, last night - holy moly!!!!

:oops:

I looked at myself in the mirror and busted out laughing. I was like "King CRIMSON". It was pretty funny.

I was pretty much THIS COLOR

I don't think there was anything different - ate a little bit - took the pill - ate a bunch more. Indian food - maybe a spice or something?

I read about the asprin on the Tecfidera site but haven't tried it yet. I figured I'll see what happens first and then start adding stuff to try to ameliorate symptoms.

PS - I'm on the wean on phase (120mg w/dinner). No other side effects yet.
Galka

Post by Galka »

Hello - I came on the forum to look for some advice and comfort about flushing symptoms and came across this post.

i just had the worst flush so far - i have only been on Tecfidera for two weeks with this week being my first on the full (240mg) dose. I have had very minor side effects so far (which could be even due to something else). i took my pill 4 hours ago and just now i suddenly started burning up - my face, my chest and my full arms. OMG - i am the colour of a bright red nail polish and is feels like the worst sunburn ever (it is also itchy).

is it normal to get a flush like that 4 hours after taking the medication? could it be a sudden alergic reaction? it has calmed down now (20 min later) but my skin is still very hot and sensitive.

sorry to tag along my questions to this post.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Galka wrote:i just had the worst flush so far - i have only been on Tecfidera for two weeks with this week being my first on the full (240mg) dose. I have had very minor side effects so far (which could be even due to something else). i took my pill 4 hours ago and just now i suddenly started burning up - my face, my chest and my full arms. OMG - i am the colour of a bright red nail polish and is feels like the worst sunburn ever (it is also itchy).

is it normal to get a flush like that 4 hours after taking the medication? could it be a sudden alergic reaction? it has calmed down now (20 min later) but my skin is still very hot and sensitive.
Biogen recommends taking an aspirin 30 min before the dose of Tecfidera. Have you tried that? It might also help to take it with a meal.
QTKT

Post by QTKT »

I've been taking Tecfidera for about 3 weeks now. I didn't take it with aspirin, and I also take daily Vitamin D and Iron. I haven't experienced a single side-effect (even when bumped up to the higher dose) except really bad gas, so I would watch out for that since I know a few people who said the same thing. A lot of it has to do with your daily regimen, so find a eating and medicine routine that helps. And drink lots of water. Good luck, glad you're doing well so far.
RedneckMBA
Family Member

Post by RedneckMBA »

Don't give up hope on the Tecfidera side effects. They can come at any time during the 8 week "honeymoon." It wasn't till my 4th week that I got a really bad case of the shiits.

I got over the first case, but in my 7th week, the Tecfidera shiits returned for a few days again just to let me know who was the boss.

I still have, about once a week, a day where I am loosely-goosey.
scottyk

Post by scottyk »

I just got my 30 day starter pack in the mail today and plan to start it tomorrow. I also saw the recommendation about taking aspirin before each pill twice a day.

Does everyone who takes this do one pill first thing in the morning and then one with dinner?

Hopefully I can dodge the redness and gas!
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

It hasn't been mentioned here but, as you are getting it in the mail, I guess you have to self manage things. The FDA has warnings on Tecfidera . https://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/Saf ... 429768.htm

It is not a thing to take lightly. I got myself off it as soon as I became aware because I was aware of this and my neuro wasn't.

Make sure you are tested for JCV. If you are positive and take Tecfidera then you're in a fools paradise.

Regards,
EricDrake
Family Member

Post by EricDrake »

My girlfriend also takes Tecfidera but she skipped the aspirin (maybe she used it a few times in the first weeks when redness was more serious), what I would also suggest is to drink a lot of water and make sure that you sleep enough, when she can't sleep enough and is tired it is more likely that the redness comes.

As Scott1 mentioned it has additional more serious side effect but as far as I know JCV test at the beginning and regular blood tests (every 3 month) are mandatory to avoid these (atleast at our neuro)
scottyk wrote:I just got my 30 day starter pack in the mail today and plan to start it tomorrow. I also saw the recommendation about taking aspirin before each pill twice a day.

Does everyone who takes this do one pill first thing in the morning and then one with dinner?

Hopefully I can dodge the redness and gas!
scottyk

Post by scottyk »

If you guy are on Facebook this is a great group to join of over 6000 Tec users.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/231608883675925/
CLSawdon

Post by CLSawdon »

I never bothered taking the aspirin since I rarely used ANY medication (until being diagnosed with MS). I did fine the first week or two, but then the nausea and acidic stomach feeling started kicking in. It got pretty bad until I started taking 4000mg of vitamin D in PILL form along with the Tecfidera. Prior to that, I was using vitamin D drops in my coffee/tea/water/etc. and drinking it throughout the day.

Since then, I've never had a problem, except when I tried to drink some hard semi dry cider with my lunch. Silly me. Third month and and I don't believe I have any side effects. It being spring in Michigan, I don't know if my hot flashes are from the 10° to 60° shifts in temperature or from the tecfidera.