The effects of Minocycline in the first two weeks

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
wilson
Family Member

The effects of Minocycline in the first two weeks

Post by wilson »

After giving up on one of the ABCR drugs due to the side effects, I felt the need to at least do something for my newly diagnosed MS. I convinced my GP to give me a prescription for Minocycline.

The first thing I have noticed on being on the antibiotic is that it makes me slightly lightheaded. I haven't experienced any stomach problems yet and I am thinking of adding acidophilus to my diet of daily supplements.

10 days into the medication, I thought I was experiencing flu like symptoms. I was having the chills and felt achy all over for two days. Then, after that stopped, I started to have some respiratory problems. A cough developed like I needed to expel something within my chest. This has been continuing for three and half days. Today, it feels a little better than yesterday.

I do not know if the above issues is due to the fact that the antibiotics are fighting an infection within me or it is just a plain old cold. I wasn't experiencing any other cold symptoms, such as a sore throat or sneezing.

I had another reaction. It would be hard to accredit the antibiotics for it, though. I have had back pain for the last 6 years. I thought it was due to my lifestyle of golf, snowboarding, and plus just getting older. I have a slight bulge disk and I see a chiropractor regularly. One day last week, my back stops hurting... completely!!! It has not done that for six years. The chiropractic visits would make it feel better a little, but the pain and stiffness would never go away completely. Today, it feels really good, even after playing a round of golf. Actually, it was a little stiff after golf, but that went away the next morning.

The chiropractor says no way that the antibiotics could have caused the turnaround. But the coincidence of it getting much better after a week of antibiotics is hard to overlook.

I still have my tingling sensations on the affected right side. This hasn't diminihed... yet.

Has anyone else tried the antibiotic treatment?
finn
Contributing Author

Post by finn »

Sorry, time to leave the board.

-finn
Last edited by finn on Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Hi Wilson,

Very interesting, your response to the minocycline. Thinking about it, I have felt slightly 'light-headed' for the last year, with my doxycycline/rifampicin and roxithromycin regime. Only when I am standing or moving, though.

The flu like symptoms followed by the cough are spot on for the Herxheimer reaction which shows evidence of infection. If you look through my chlamydia pneumoniae postings and read the links I give to David's papers, you will find out more about this. I will keep my fingers crossed. Of course, you can't say that you were not just getting a cold: most people will, despite the lack of sore throat or sneezing.

As for the back pain going, I showed your email to David, who is treating a man in his forties with PPMS and he is experiencing something similar, despite the fact that the generally accepted view is that someone with PPMS can't be helped with anything. David saw him for the second time last week and he was walking in a much easier fashion. So am I, come to that, although I have never had back ache or anything like that. I can stand on one leg again though, right and left! I guess that chiropractors don't know much about antibiotics and yours would prefer to think that it is his treatment which has stopped the pain. Hopefully it will continue, anyway.

I think acidophilus would be a good idea with long term antibiotics, and of course, the essential vit. d and b12.

Keep up the good work!

Sarah
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

Wilson, this thread you have started is incredibly important. Antibiotics represent an easily attainable, yet relatively novel approach to treating MS and your postings will help many people. Just wanted to publicly thank you for sharing-- and urge you to post updates as often as you see fit! :)
katie45
Family Elder

Post by katie45 »

wilson, Can I ask what dosage of minocycline are you on? I'm on 200ml/day and have been herxing for 2.5 months. thanks katie