Vitamin regime?? Need Help!

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
Cojack
Family Member

cal/mag

Post by Cojack »

I"ve got a bottle of Calcium/mag citrate....why would they combine them if they compete?/wasn't cheap :P

fyi....in addition to what a lot of bloggers have already mentioned...u might want to check out Dr. Bill Code's book 'winning the pain game' & barry sear's book the anti-inflamation zone...and glean what's appropriate for you...i 'had' pretty rough neuropathy, weakness, numbness, speech-cog issues etc...and found whey protein isolate (40g/day) & 10 grams of ultra refined fish oil a day mollifying them so far..knock on wood/instead of lyrica...blah blah/i'm not out of the woods/i'm constantly gleaning from these great blogs (the other Dr Jeckylls)...plus, i've temporarily relocated from the upper northwest to the high desert sun...so i'm not sure what's been the most effective...for what it's worth.

truly,

CoJack
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i got a lot of improvement in 2006 from a short term regimen that included a high protein diet, cj. so i'm not surprised that it is doing you some good! i have been less on top of things with the omega 3 fish oil, but i'm trying again at the moment. at least i found a really good one that doesn't make me gag from the smell, and i don't taste it again later! :S
they put the calcium and mag together in different ratios, i think that's an attempt to deal with the competition issues. i havent investigated exactly how they compete, but at any rate, it's better to take some than none, and to up the daily intake of foods that are healthy at high intakes and full of both nutrients (and others of course!)
Cleremond2000
Family Member

Post by Cleremond2000 »

UPDATE -

So...my current supplement list was...

One-a-Day for Men multivitamin
2000i.u. Vitamin D3 softgel
1000mg calcium
250mg Magnesium
1000mg Omega-3

Now it is....

One-a-Day for Men multivitamin
4000i.u. Vitamin D3
1000mg calcium
500mg Vitamin C
B-100 Complex
595mg Potassium Gluconate
250mg Magnesium (taken at night with Baclofen)
1000mg Omega-3

I've had a really bad cold/viral sinus infection for the last week (watch out, its going around)....so I've been feeling like utter crap lately. Once I'm over that though, I'll get a better idea if this metric shit ton of supps are helping at all.
SandyK
Family Elder

Post by SandyK »

http://www.slate.com/id/2240688/?yahoo=y

This article talks about supplements maybe causing more harm than good. I just spent a small fortune on these things. Can I really feel worse than I already do? Everywhere I turn is conflicting info...makes me crazy!
Diagnosed 1994, Self EDSS is 6.5
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

FYI: Dangerous Supplements

Post by NHE »

Conumer Reports ran an article in its May 2004 issue which covered 12 "Dangerous Supplements" which should be avoided. Many of these can cause liver damage and other problems. The article used to be available for free online, but I can only find mention of it now and not the full report. You can probably get it from your local library.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cu-p ... 405die.htm

NHE
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

sandy, sometimes when they do supplement studies they use artificial isolated versions of things, eg vitamin e in the dL-alpha tocopherol form, rather than the mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols found in vitamin e complex (not your standard supplement, but readily available in vitamin shops). of course the best nutrition comes from food (organic and not genetically modified). but supplements can do a lot of good. being smart about choices, taking care with amounts, and doing the lab work helps too.