I'm 27 and had my first attack in October '08, and modified my diet a month later. I've since had my second attack in May that I'm almost over. I'm set to start Copaxone next week. I've got roughly a dozen lesions in my brain and I believe 1-2 on my spine.
Originally I have been trying to follow the BBD diet, and I've eliminated wheat/gluten, dairy and legumes from my diet. I have not been keeping my fat intake to a minimum though. I've also been taking supplements daily.
My current regime looks like this:
- supplements: vitamin D 10k IU, B12/B6/Bcomplex, Omega-3 4g, Calcium/Mag 1200/600, ginkgo,
- daily salad + turkey breast coldcuts, olive oil + balsamic vinegar
- daily nuts/almonds
- daily 2-3 of: bananas, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, apples
- no exercise yet
- dinner is usually chicken or fish with rice and veggies
- I still occasionally eat chicken wings, bacon, steak, hamburgers (no bun), and drink red wine, gluten-free beer, and non-grain spirits
In light of reading more and more about the CCSVI research, I'd like to start a more vein-friendly diet... I've been avoiding dairy/gluten/legumes only because of BBD's insistence that the proteins contained in them are similar to myelin so they may trigger additional attacks... this is starting to seem less and less likely to me.
I've been reading cheerleader's PDF(link)
and would like to follow her diet recommendations more closely.
I'd love to add in small amounts of low-fat cheese and be able to eat soy and beans again... so I'd like to ask everyone's input if they've been avoiding legumes+dairy+gluten and how that's affected their symptoms and anything else.
I'd also like to ask how people manage with specific diets and any tips they have on making things simpler (eg. preparing meals in batches/freezing, preparing supplements in advance for the week/month/etc)
This is my proposed regime that I will start to follow soon and would appreciate any input anyone has on it:
- take copaxone shot
- yoga 20min
- cardio exercise 20min
- weightlifting exercise 20min
- fruit + vegetable smoothie
- eat salad + chicken lunch
- take daily supplements
- have salad + protein + rice/potato dinner
- prepare all supplements into sandwich bags for the following week
- prepare work lunches for the week
- cut up lettuce/greens for salads
- grill some chicken to use in salads
- go shopping for bananas, apples, nuts, snacks for work week
One Week of the Month:
- daily milk thistly supplement
- vitamin b1, b3, b12, b-complex
- gingko biloba
- omega 3
- alpha lipoic acid
- calcium / magnesium
- milk thistle
- vitamin D
Just also wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts on this site, it's been a great help and I've learned an incredible amount since I've started lurking... I hope to be able to give back to the community some day as well