Anti-viral treatment

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Anti-viral treatment

Post by gibbledygook »

Given the hypotheses that MS may have a viral cause especially the Epstein Barr virus, I am going to discuss with my doctor taking valacyclovir which is an anti-viral treatment. In a 2002 study in Denmark patients on valacyclovir showed 20% fewer lesions on average than controls. Is anybody else trying this or contemplating this?

Alex, London
Daunted
Family Elder

Re: Anti-viral treatment

Post by Daunted »

gibbledygook wrote:Given the hypotheses that MS may have a viral cause especially the Epstein Barr virus, I am going to discuss with my doctor taking valacyclovir which is an anti-viral treatment. In a 2002 study in Denmark patients on valacyclovir showed 20% fewer lesions on average than controls. Is anybody else trying this or contemplating this?

Alex, London
I think they did a large trial here in the United States and it failed. You may want to do an internet search on that.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

The use of valacyclovir as an anti-viral treatment in MS

Post by gibbledygook »

Hi,

I have searched fairly thoroughly in the PubMed website for large trial data on valacyclovir in MS but so far have only found results from a small 2002 Danish study which to me suggested that this anti-viral treatment might be beneficial. However in the conclusion to the Danish study the authors state that the valacyclovir treatment did NOT reduce the formation of active lesions. They stated that the mean number of new active lesions +/- SD per patient during 24 weeks of treatment with valacyclovir was 11.9 +/- 17.6 and that during placebo treatment was 14.5 +/- 21.4. To me this suggests that valacyclovir DOES reduce the formation of active lesions. By about 20%! But maybe this is deemed insignificant. Mmm. I'm inclined to take the Wheldon anti-biotic course, LDN, Avonex and valacyclovir and every single drug I can throw at this illness!! Something's gotta work!
Daunted
Family Elder

Re: The use of valacyclovir as an anti-viral treatment in M

Post by Daunted »

One thing to consider is if you throw too many interventions at your health, if you improve, you won't have any idea what worked!

I would recommend a paleolithic diet, the interferon, and antibiotics, for starters.
JFH
Family Elder

Post by JFH »

Daunted wrote:I would recommend a paleolithic diet, the interferon, and antibiotics, for starters.
Just out of interest why an interferon and not Copaxone?
John
I am what I am
Daunted
Family Elder

Post by Daunted »

JFH wrote:
Daunted wrote:I would recommend a paleolithic diet, the interferon, and antibiotics, for starters.
Just out of interest why an interferon and not Copaxone?
Interferons inhibit the reproduction of chlamydia pneumoniae. So if you're going to use a conventional treatment with the antibiotics, it does seem to make some sense.

Of course, just in terms of giving your liver a break, it seems like the ideal situation would be to trial antibiotics in isolation, first- but I know those of you already on a treatment have difficult decisions to make regarding all that.

I have no idea about Copaxone+antibiotics.
JFH
Family Elder

Post by JFH »

Daunted wrote:Interferons inhibit the reproduction of chlamydia pneumoniae. So if you're going to use a conventional treatment with the antibiotics, it does seem to make some sense.
Thanks D never knew that. Guess it must be in one of Sarah's postings somewhere but I've skimmed over it.
John
I am what I am
Daunted
Family Elder

Post by Daunted »

JFH wrote:
Daunted wrote:Interferons inhibit the reproduction of chlamydia pneumoniae. So if you're going to use a conventional treatment with the antibiotics, it does seem to make some sense.
Thanks D never knew that. Guess it must be in one of Sarah's postings somewhere but I've skimmed over it.
I think the U.S. patent for anti-chlamydial therapy (the link is in my post, "weblinks on Chlamydia pneumoniae") also notes that interferon and antibiotic therapy may be co-prescribed.

Both interferon and methotrexate are hostile to CPn.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Anti-viral treatment

Post by NHE »

gibbledygook wrote:...and every single drug I can throw at this illness!! Something's gotta work!
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but sometimes combining drugs can have unexpected effects. Sometimes these effects are desirable, and sometimes, as in the case of Tysabri and Avonex, they are not. It would seem to be in the best interest of an MS patient to thoroughly research any potential combination therapies prior to commencing treatment.

NHE
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

A gentle warning

Post by SarahLonglands »

Yes, I was trying to keep out of this, but valacyclovir has been shown not to be of much use, whereas interferons do inhibit the production of CPn to a certain extent, so are fine to take with antibiotics. You certainly you should be wary of combining everything you can lay your hands on. When you get you appointment in Bedford, you would be advised to go through everything you are taking or are thinking of taking.

Sarah