Cyclophosphamide so-so verdict in progressive MS

A board to discuss Revimmune as a potential therapy for multiple sclerosis
MSUK
Family Elder

Cyclophosphamide so-so verdict in progressive MS

Post by MSUK »

Patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis who were able to stay on cyclophosphamide therapy had a lower risk of further disability, but their dropout rate from treatment was more than twice that for methylprednisolone therapy, researchers reported here.

Of the 72 patients enrolled in the cyclophosphamide arm of the trial, 33 dropped out of treatment before the end of the 2-year study -- 20 of them due to adverse events, reported Bruno Brochet, MD, chief of neurology at the University of Bordeaux Segalen, France..... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/cyclophosphamide
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
1eye
Family Elder

Re: Cyclophosphamide so-so verdict in progressive MS

Post by 1eye »

I wonder if cytotoxic chemo-therapies are effective because of their effect on non-human organisms which have taken up residence in a body. Apparently macro-invaders like parasites can be extremely difficult to get rid of, and can host a variety of micro-organisms. Maybe the chemos are killing them off, allowing to wipe out some disease vectors.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Since the "experts" still acknowledge that the cause of MS is unknown, your hypothesis is as good as theirs, in my opinion.

On the other hand, some hypothesize that we need parasites and other organisms in our system – that our lifestyle is too hygienic and allows our immune system to attack itself, rather than these other organisms.

Or… Another hypothesis? Who knows?
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

lyndacarol wrote:Since the "experts" still acknowledge that the cause of MS is unknown, your hypothesis is as good as theirs, in my opinion.

On the other hand, some hypothesize that we need parasites and other organisms in our system – that our lifestyle is too hygienic and allows our immune system to attack itself, rather than these other organisms.

Or… Another hypothesis? Who knows?
Certainly not me. But with all the experts here, lurking or not, would like to see it shot down.

I never bought in to saying my immune system's too strong or too weak, or even mistaken. I can think of arguments that are epidemiological, or environmental, or biological, as those are the culprits I usually hear about.

Helminths (roundworms?) have recently been tried, as a therapy. Maybe the method of administration makes the difference. They like blood. Maybe in some people it's easier for them to access human blood. They love being in large bowels because we often eat other animals. In fact, eating pork that isn't done enough is a good way to get them.

If their young got into, or were born in, the bloodstream?

People don't like talking about them, so I should stay on topic. We could test this by seeing if maybe even a much smaller dose of something is much more deadly to them than us, helps with disability, and kills their eggs. I think there are roundworm (not "MS") killing treatments that work this way. Maybe a small dose of cyclophosphamide could work just as well? But you'd have a time staying out of danger long-term.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)