Revimmune vs Stem Cell Therapy

A board to discuss Revimmune as a potential therapy for multiple sclerosis
Family Member

Revimmune vs Stem Cell Therapy

Post by 777 »

I am curious why some are choosing revimmune over Stem Cell therapy.
I am currently deciding between the 2. I have had MS for about 15 years with an EDSS of 1.5

I see my neuro this thursday and want to discuess how I can get into one of these studies. Where I live they are doing the Stem Cell Therapy, sounds pretty much the same as the revimmune except one you get stem cells and the other you get revimmune.

I did talk to a john hammond from JH last week, he said for me to get my records and new scans and send them in.

Anyone know if there is an advantage to one treatment over the other? So far I was told both treatments are getting about the same results, just that the revimmune they dont have the fatality rate the stem cell does.
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Last edited by chrishasms on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family Member

Post by 777 »

chrishasms wrote:Revimmune just lets your body use it's own stem cells the body creates from Bone marrow rather than a donors. HiCy kills everything but the bone marrow which makes stem cells.

PS, an EDSS of 1.5?!? After 15 years?!? How do you know you even have it??!!
My MRI scans and many neuros I seen say I have it. I also have had 4 relapses, all pretty severe. I have recovered from them but not 100% to have a EDSS of 1.5. I have that because I have a pale pallor in my left optic nerve.
rainer
Family Elder

Post by rainer »

You might want to check out this thread which has some discussion of this topic.

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-5167.html
Family Member

Post by 777 »

Got back from my neuro. He tried to talk me out of getting the reimmune or the stem cell therapy. he said people die from this you know and he also mentioned I would be denied because I have a 2 week old and a 20 month old, also because my disability it not bad after having this for 15 years.

it doesnt seem fair, I dont want to wait until I have obvious disability. :(
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Last edited by chrishasms on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family Member

Post by 777 »

Well like I said I had this for 15 years. first attack ON that lasted 3 months and recovered, 2ned time numb from the waist down and recovered.

3rd time my attack lasted about a year, I was blind for 9 months, recovered my vision about 99% in the left eye, right eye not affected. I couldnt walk, I was so dizzy I gad to crawl around the house and sleep sitting upright. I recovered,

Last attack I was weak,dizzy and tired. I had to start taking baths and had to slide in and out because my legs wouldnt hold me. I am fine now.

but i do not consider this mild MS. 8O
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Last edited by chrishasms on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family Member

Post by 777 »

chrishasms wrote:Talk to JH then!! Explain those relapses!!

Your dribbling the ball right now...time to drive to the hoop.
Couldnt agree more. I have to have new MRI's, my neuro ordered them.

I guess I resent the fact my neuro considers my MS mild. :? Then try pushing tysabri on me. I am not a fan of that medication. I am happy for the people who beneifit from it, but it's just not for me. I had this disease for too many years and want something more than the current ABC's and Ty.

They only hope to slow progression... maybe but I seen many people who dont do well on those meds. I did fine on copaxone, but because of my last attack I am scared now.