Thanks for your reply.
I will probably just wait and see what JH has to say. It'll either be: "Ok...come down here and we'll do another MRI" or "You need to get another MRI from your Neurologist." If it's the latter I will simply request one and see what happens. If I encounter opposition I will go see another neurologist.
Unfortunately, my neuro's reaction to HiCy was this:
1. In January, I e-mailed her the article about it that came out in Hopkins Magazine. She wrote back: "Let's talk about it at your next appointment" (scheduled for April).
2. I patiently waited 3 months for said appointment, which happened last Monday. When I brought up HiCy, she didn't know what it was, which clearly demonstrated that she hadn't even bothered to read the article I sent her.
3. I briefly began to describe HiCy, and she reacted with the following series of dismissive statements:
a.) "You can't do that! What if you got an infection?"
b.) "If you want to participate in some trials, I can refer you to [Name of Another Neuro] who is more into research"
When I attempted to explain the entire package of care that Johns Hopkins offered, as well as that I wasn't interested in "trials" unless they involved the HiCy protocol, I was met with a statement like: "Well, I'm sure insurance won't pay for something like that, so if someone had a lot of money and wanted to go down to Johns Hopkins, that would be their choice..."
Less than 48 hours later, when I spoke with Dr. Brodsky, I was shocked to discover that insurance paying for HiCy is actually the NORM---not the exception, as my neurologist had insinuated.
I then proceeded to send her more information on HiCy, which she has ignored at least up until this point. I received a phone call referrring me to [Name of Another Neuro] for an appointment in AUGUST.
But if things go well with the team at JH, I was told that I could be down in Maryland undergoing HiCy by as soon as June or July.
Meaning that "second opinion" idea was pretty shitty, indeed. I don't really have time to get into a new neuro before doing HiCY. I am a graduate student, meaning that I can only do this treatment during the summer. (I have no "job security," no guaranteed sick leave, no vacation time, etc., and if I don't make it back to school at the beginning of the academic year, I will lose all of my financial aid due to "breach of contract." So it's either do HiCy this summer or wait an entire year and do it in the summer of 2009.)