MBP8298 vs Copaxone

A board to discuss Revimmune as a potential therapy for multiple sclerosis
Cyclops
Family Member

MBP8298 vs Copaxone

Post by Cyclops »

I was just reading about MBP8298. It is intended to teach the immune system to tolerate myelin rather than attack it. As I understand it, this is the intention behind giving Copaxone after Revimmune. Maybe MBP8298 could be even better?

Cyclops
.o)
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

The thing I like about MBP's approach is that it's aimed at secondary progressive. That's huge to a lot of MS'ers. Not sure about the Copaxone thing after Revimmune, but I know if you emailed Chris at Chrishasms.com he could fill you in. He has a pretty tight understanding of the entire process, as I suppose all the HiCy'ers do!
Jamie
Family Elder

Post by Jamie »

agreed, in fact i pm'd bob this very same thought
RedPenguins
Family Elder

Post by RedPenguins »

Good question re: copax vs. MBP... I imagine the reasoning is in line with what Loobie said. I think copax was more specific in that after pre-treating mice with it, they found the mice could not develop MS. I think this is in line with how copax is now being given to many before the MS diagnosis - but for CIS.

I will start copax in 2 weeks...now looking forward to it....but, at least I know I am taking it for different reasons than when I was taking it just as a DMD.

~Keri
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

MBP is not yet out, is it? That certainly might be at issue.

I have taken copaxone since it came out and progressed from jogging to edss 6. The heck of it was I was considered benign because I was 6years from diagnosis and still jogging. I went on cop and 11 years later here I am SPMS and a 6. I am frankly really unimpressed by the idea that copaxone will make a huge difference based on that experience, so if something else is possible to offer I'm all for it!

My MRI, BTW was inflammation and enhancement free. We're checking the spine now; I am thinking we might well find atrophy there, a hallmark of SPMS. I am not a good rev candidate, but will be keeping my ears to the ground for developments.
marie
Cyclops
Family Member

Post by Cyclops »

The thing I like about MBP's approach is that it's aimed at secondary progressive.
My take on that is that its more of a marketing angle. Being first to market for SPMS will ensure market share. It would be a big step forward if it works for SPMS. They are doing trials for RRMS too. I think I read somewhere that interim data might be available soon.

Cyclops
.o)
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: MBP8298 vs Copaxone

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lars
Family Elder

Post by Lars »

Forgive the layman's take on this but aren't Copaxone and MBP working on an similar Amino Acid theory. Reading the list of ingredients in Copaxone has led a Veterinary friend of mine to become convinced of the ease in reproducing it for pennies. Bear in mind....I know nothing!
Lars
Jamie
Family Elder

Post by Jamie »

Bob said:

"That brings up another unknown about MBP8298, does it act as a vaccine by giving the immune system the false memory of having already fought this enemy? In this case it seems that this education of the naive immune system hinges on actually having experienced the battle and not simply being forewarned of the enemies weaknesses. "

I understand them as one and the same thing. Vaccines work by the body fighting a deactivated virus in very real battle, it's just it has time to figure out the correct weapon before the virus wins ('cos it is dead). That's how it learns.

Forearmed is literarily forewarned.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

I just noticed this so here is a good answer for you. I actually learned this at a fund raiser meeting from one of the doctors in the study.

MBP8298 is actually an acronym for Myelin Basic Protein 82-98. It targets the specific proteins of Myelin. The doctor did say he was really interested to see the final results because there are other proteins in Myelin. The initial trial results did look really promising though.

I met Dr. Corboy there and asked him this question: "In my case they look at EDSS, relapse rates, and lesions with the HiCy trial. In SPMS with the MBP8298 what exactly is the end point if there is no inflammation?"

I was happy to hear that was a good question, lol, and he stated, "In this trial the end points are actually improvement in QOL and EDSS scores. "

If nothing else it shows some people out there are also using their noodles to stop or improve this disease rather than slowing it down.