Reactivation ?

A board to discuss Revimmune as a potential therapy for multiple sclerosis
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

I know this thread is about Copaxone's prophylactic use with HDC but it's good to remember the Brazilian woman who was accidentally given a high dose of cyclophosphamide in 1997 (the lucky lady had a careless nurse who mistook 200mg ampules for 1000mg ampules and gave her too much cyclophosphamide when she had an MS attack - they were using pulse treatment of the drug) - anyway, as of the writing of the paper that I'm looking at in 2005 (thanks Leon - it was one of the ones which he posted) she has been relapse free. That's over seven years.

Mind you, she had been receiving pulsed Cyclophosphamide for a couple of years, every three months, before the high dose was given.

As a sideline - does anyone know, is that the first time that a high dose of the drug was used with an MS patienet?
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

I believe it is. I believe this is the girl we all owe our new lives to. From what I understand she got Non Hodgkins Lymphoma or some other disease and they did that oops to her while treating her for that.

Is that true?

It makes way more sense your way though.

Needless to say we owe her a good deal of thanks either way.
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

chrishasms wrote:I believe it is. I believe this is the girl we all owe our new lives to. From what I understand she got Non Hodgkins Lymphoma or some other disease and they did that oops to her while treating her for that.

Is that true?

It makes way more sense your way though.

Needless to say we owe her a good deal of thanks either way.
Hey - must be a different medical error (these people work such long hours, it's no suprise. Nope, no mention of Hodgkins' in this paper.

Here's the summary:
"The objective of this case report is to document the possibility that
immunoablative doses of cyclophosphamide may provide a long-term
remission of multiple sclerosis (MS). We report the case of a 48-year-
old woman with definite MS diagnosed in 1994 who has been in
complete remission since a dose of 3800 mg of cyclophosphamide was
accidentally given intravenously in early 1997. For 7 years there have
been no signs of disease activity on history, physical examination, or
on high-quality magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) with appropriate
contrast-enhancement methodology. This case includes information on
the possibility that less aggressive chemotherapy than that used with
stem cell transplantation may be effective in the long-term control
of MS."

In fact, I will repost these three documents that I downloaded from a link which Leon posted in a new thread because they will be of lots of interest to anyone interested in this treatment. They make for encouraging reading!
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Thank you so much!
sandonpoint
Family Member

Post by sandonpoint »

Chris , you seem to be improving , tell me , does the heat still knock you around ?

Sandon
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

It did this summer. But it never bothered me as bad as it used to. My old heat tolerance was about 72 degree's and I was immobile and out cold on the couch. This summer it was around 85-90 degree's.

Today was around, prolly, 75 in Denver today and I went to Car Toys, walked in, bought my dad a stereo, went and screwed around a while and then went back to Car Toys and picked his car up. If I would have tried that in July I think I may have died.

I look very forward to the next 6 months and what next summer will be like.

BTW, 6 month anniversary today...still very glad I did this.