My MRI Results

A board to discuss Revimmune as a potential therapy for multiple sclerosis
chrishasms
Family Elder

My MRI Results

Post by chrishasms »

Well my MRI guy and myself sat there with our mouths hanging open.

No New Lesions, No Active Lesions, and had a hell of a time even finding some of the older ones.

So it looks like I popped off one little lesion which has healed, and a large number of them healed, or are still healing.

Thank God for Revimmune.
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

That's great to hear.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I am sure I have read that inflammation is actually part of the healing process.

I had a quick look..

http://www.nature.com/jcbfm/journal/v23 ... 1385a.html
Inflammation has been widely perceived as participating in the etiology of acute and chronic neurodegenerative conditions. Accordingly, in the context of traumatic injuries or chronic neurodegenerative diseases in the central nervous system (CNS), activated microglia have been viewed as detrimental and attempts have been made to treat both conditions by antiinflammatory therapy. Recent studies have suggested that microglia act as stand- by cells in the service of both the immune and the nervous systems. In the healthy CNS these cells are quiescent, but in the event of injury to axons or cell bodies they exercise their neural function by buffering harmful self-compounds and clearing debris from the damaged site, and their immune function by providing immune-related requirements for recovery. Proper regulation of the inflammatory (autoimmune) response to injury will arrest degeneration and promote regrowth, whereas inappropriate regulation will lead to ongoing degeneration. Regulation is achieved by the operation of a T cell–mediated response directed to abundant self-antigens residing in the damaged site. Since this immune-dependent mechanism was found to protect against glutamate toxicity (a major factor in neurodegenerative disorders), boosting of this response might constitute the basis for development of a therapeutic vaccination against neurodegenerative diseases, all of which exhibit similar pathways and patterns of progression.
I found that from the following document.
http://www.weizmann.ac.il/immunology/ir ... 03/412.pdf
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

I still suck a bit worse than July lets say, symptom wise, but as far as the spots in my head go, they are fewer and smaller.

So, even though I may not feel that great like I used too, I am wondering if I just need to start pushing myself even harder even if it is too hard.

I wonder if it's just one of those things where you work it so hard one day you wake up and it works right.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I don't think anyone really knows. However, in the post below I summarised a newspaper article, which also had the following paragraph.
Bach-y-Rita wrote:Traditional rehabilitation exercises typically ended after a few weeks when a patient stopped improving, or 'plateaued'. But Bach-y-Rita, based on his knowledge of nerve growth, began to argue that these learning plateaus were temporary - part of a plasticity-based learning cycle in which stages of learning are followed by periods of consolidation. Though there was no apparent progress in the consolidation stage, biological changes were happening internally, as new skills became more automatic and refined.
The Post:
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-50384.html#50384

The article (which I forgot to include on the last reference to it... :oops: ):
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/33557 ... abyss.html
mommasan
Family Elder

Post by mommasan »

That is excellent news, Chris!! Seems like LDN + Copaxone is doing the trick for you.

Sandy
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mommasan
Family Elder

Post by mommasan »

Just wanted to put forth a comment that the LNP made to me after I was finished with treatment. She said that I shouldn't expect any real recovery for at least 6 months after I finished the HiCy. In a case like mine, where so much damage had been done, I would need an intact immune system before I could even begin to heal. Don't know if this relates to this discussion, but it seems like it might.

Sandy
RedPenguins
Family Elder

Post by RedPenguins »

Chris - THAT IS AWESOME NEWS!!!!

I spoke with Dr. Hammond today - to see if I should try to get in a MRI before I arrive in Baltimore on Wednesday... I will be 7 months out...but had my last MRI two months ago (in December) - where I had activity and enhancement. He told me not to have one, just to bring my two previous ones - the one from 3 months out - where I had healing and the one from December.

Not sure what to expect from this visit. I just feel like a sitting duck these days....I don't hold any hope that copaxone is doing anything....so, thus, sitting and waiting...waiting for what, I don't even know. Hopefully they will have some options for me....

I'm so happy for you Chris.... so at this point, are you not planning on wanting HiCy again? For me, I consider wanting it again based on the fact that they are now saying they may have under-dosed heavier people.
I'm also definitely nowhere near as "well" as I was for the first three months post treatment.

Ho Hum.

~Keri