No strong evidence to back use of cannabis extract in MS

A cannabis derived drug which has been approved in some countries to treat muscle spasticity.
MSUK
Family Elder

No strong evidence to back use of cannabis extract in MS

Post by MSUK »

There is no strong evidence to back the use of cannabis extract in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), concludes a review of the available evidence on the first licensed preparation, published in the December issue of Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin (DTB).

Sativex, in the form of a mouth spray, contains the principal extracts—dronabinol and cannabidiol—found in the leaf and flower of the cannabis plant. It is the first cannabinoid preparation to be licensed for use in the treatment of muscle spasms in MS.

MS is estimated to affect around 100,000 people in the UK, and around one in every 1000 people will develop the condition in the UK.

An increase in muscle tone, or spasticity is a common symptom of the condition, causing involuntary spasms, immobility, disturbed sleep, and pain.

Complex combinations of drugs are sometimes needed to manage spasticity, but they don't work that well and have a range of unpleasant side effects.

Sativex is intended for use as a second line treatment in patients in whom these other options have failed. But the DTB review found that the trial data on which the success of Sativex is based, are limited.

Overall, the trials, on which the drug's approval was based, did show a small difference in the numbers of patients who in whom symptoms abated compared with those taking a dummy (placebo) preparation....Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1814
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Re: No strong evidence to back use of cannabis extract in MS

Post by PointsNorth »

Tried taking weeks ago with no positive affects. Will try smoking a MJ strain grown as muscle relaxant. Will report back.
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
EngagedToMS
Getting to Know You...

Post by EngagedToMS »

I met a guy that was working at a funky little used record/CD store whose sister has MS. He said that ONE hit from a joint, it was as if she didn't even have MS. I understand MS is different in every patient and that drugs effect people differently. But for those that could benefit, it is more criminal to deny an MS sufferer something that bring relief.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I have successfully been using CBD oil for the past few months and continue to use it and it seems to help with my pain (less episodes and less intensity). I have not tried any form of cannabis.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

EngagedToMS wrote:I met a guy that was working at a funky little used record/CD store whose sister has MS. He said that ONE hit from a joint, it was as if she didn't even have MS. I understand MS is different in every patient and that drugs effect people differently. But for those that could benefit, it is more criminal to deny an MS sufferer something that bring relief.
ElliotB wrote:I have successfully been using CBD oil for the past few months and continue to use it and it seems to help with my pain (less episodes and less intensity). I have not tried any form of cannabis.
It's a bigger question than the original post, but how do trials cater for treatments that work for some patients and not for others? It is reasonable to think that a specific treatment may only benefit a specifc group of patients. In trials, these people would lower the statistical scores as to the effectiveness of the treatment. Until the people running the trials can understand how to differentiate these people, I do not see how they will differentiate the responders from the general placebo crowd in a population.

On a second thought, even as a placebo, wouldn't some CBD oil be preffable over a known to be working opiate based treatment.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"how do trials cater for treatments that work for some patients and not for others?"

This is a great question. I have often wondered about the overall validity of trials, as it is my understanding that participants are hand selected and only those that it is felt will positively affect the desired results are selected.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: I have often wondered about the overall validity of trials, as it is my understanding that participants are hand selected and only those that it is felt will positively affect the desired results are selected.
If it's a double blind study and the same process is used to select participants independently of whether they wind up in the treatment or control group, then it shouldn't matter.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

"hand selected" may of been the wrong word for it. However, trial participants have to meet the entry criteria. What I guess I am thinking is that without really knowing for whom the treatment would work for, the entry criteria may cause the study to fail meeting its goals. For example, if they use the entry criteria of PPMS for the Campath studies, it would of failed. Luckily they understood that the treatment works primarily for RRMS. If they had not learnt this fact, the results would of simply shown a poor CI. Now RRMS for Campath seems obvious to us, now, but maybe the above studies failed as there is some other criteria which defines who the cannabis treatments would succeed in. Yeah, i know I know, best of our knowledge, just saying, we can't really expect more. So, some trials real failure is in the entry criteria and not a case of the treatment really failing, for all.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Hand selected" - Yes, participants are selected one-by-one based on very strict criteria.

"There is no strong evidence to back the use of cannabis extract in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis (MS)"

I have/had heard this repeatedly and because of this I was quite hesitant in making my decision to try CBD oil. Yet excruciating pain left me no choice. There is no doubt it is working for me.

But..

not all CBD oils are equal. Please see this thread:

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 27423.html
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Engaged to ms,
Do you live where you can get cannabis/mj products? I've been using full spectrum mj products and it absolutely works (for me). I agree with Elliot, that all are not created equal. It's the same issue with full spectrum cannabinoid capsules, candy, food, etc...