Searching forums and site

If you're having any problems with the site, please post here and a site administrator will respond.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Searching forums and site

Post by CureOrBust »

Aaron,

I just tried a search of the forums fo SAM-e and it didnt seem to return an appropriate result.

I Tried "SAM-e" and this didnt work either. Is there a way to force it to look for a phrase? for example "hello there"?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

and while i have your attention, what do i click on to jump directly to a found reference? If the search term is found in a thread that spans a few pages, i can't see how to go directly to the page with the term?

thanks.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Searching forums and site

Post by NHE »

CureOrBust wrote:...what do i click on to jump directly to a found reference?
You should be able to do that using the features of your web browser independent of the forum. If you're using a windows machine, try hitting Ctrl+F and then enter your search term in the dialog to search any page for particular content.

NHE
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

the problem is when it is a multi-page thread. the reference could be on page 3, the most recent post is on page five. so if you click on one link, it takes you to the most recent post (ie pg5), the other takes you to page 1. i cant see what to click on to get to the post on page 3 with the actual reference.
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

Unfortunately, I don't have 'happy' answers to these questions-- :)

1) Because SAM-E contains a special character ("-"), the forum software filters it out, and thus it ends up searching for SAME... filtering these characters out is an effort to prevent hackers, but obviously it hurts in these scenarios.

Try using Google to search the site... use the Google box in the left column and search with quotes e.g., "sam-e" (in this case it also returns no results, and I'm not sure if that's because google has the same issue we do, or if no one has talked about it!)

2) The forum software is simply not set up for that... it's a great and logical idea, however, so I'll submit it to the developers (an independent team, not affiliated with us)
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

you underestimate yourself, i'm very happy with the google search results. I can understand the hyphen problem, and it was just on my mind at the time.

Thanks for pointing out something right in front of me :oops:

Return to “Site Support”