Statin research...again

Discussion of statins (Lipitor, Zocor, etc.) in the treatment of MS.
dignan
Family Elder

Statin research...again

Post by dignan »

With all this statin research going on, I hope we get some clinical trial results some time this year.

Statins reduce human blood-brain barrier permeability and restrict leukocyte migration: Relevance to multiple sclerosis.

Ann Neurol. 2006 May 25;
Ifergan I, Wosik K, Cayrol R, Kebir H, Auger C, Bernard M, Bouthillier A, Moumdjian R, Duquette P, Prat A.
Neuroimmunology Laboratory, Center for Research on Brain Diseases, Centre Hospitalier de l'Universite de Montreal (CHUM) Research Center, Quebec, Canada.

OBJECTIVE: Dysregulation of the blood-brain barrier (BBB) and transendothelial migration of immune cells are among the earliest central nervous system changes partaking in lesion formation in both multiple sclerosis (MS) and its early clinical form, the clinically isolated syndrome. Evidence for the anti-inflammatory effects of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors within the central nervous system arose from studies demonstrating that statins improve clinical signs in the animal model of MS and reduce the number of gadolinium-enhancing lesions in MS.

METHODS: We sought to describe the impact of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitor treatment on the physiology and immunology of human BBB-derived endothelial cells (ECs).

RESULTS: We demonstrate that lovastatin and simvastatin induce a 50 to 60% reduction in the diffusion rates of bovine serum albumin and [(14)C]-sucrose across human BBB-ECs in vitro through abrogation of isoprenylation processes, but independent of the expression of the tight junction molecules occludin, VE-cadherin, JAM-1, zonula occluden-1, and zonula occluden-2. Simvastatin and lovastatin were equipotent in reducing BBB permeability in vitro, with median effective concentration (EC(50)) of 9.5 x 10( -8 ) and 1.0 x 10(-7)M, respectively. We further demonstrate that lovastatin and simvastatin treatment of BBB-ECs significantly restricts the migration of clinically isolated syndrome-derived and MS-derived monocytes and lymphocytes across the human BBB in vitro, through a specific reduction in the secretion of the chemokines monocyte chemotactic protein-1/CCL2 and interferon-gamma-inducible protein-10/CXCL10 by BBB-ECs.

INTERPRETATION: Our data parallel the previously reported magnetic resonance imaging-based radiological findings and suggest an effect of statins that could be beneficial in early MS, restricting the diffusion of molecular tracers and the migration of immune cells across the human BBB.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum
sunnydelilah
Family Member

statin research

Post by sunnydelilah »

I have used them for four years and they work if you can tolerate the statin drugs (most can, some cannot). I am in remission this year after ten years of continuous disease activity. I use Zocor, but Lipitor is stronger and may work better. Aside from having exceptional cholesterol results, my MS has backtracked very nicely since I (me, not the doctor) decided to try them. Of course you have to have a doctor prescribe them for use and some doctors refuse to do so. I use them as an off label use, which doctors can do if they want to, but they may choose not to as a precaution again lawsuits. Some doctors are 'cookie cutter' doctors, meaning they will only prescribe recognized treatments. You will be subject to those treatments and their efficiacy. I chose to try anything at the time as I was very sick. They worked and continue to work. The temperature has been in the 90's and it doesn't affect me now like last summer. Hope whatever you do, it works.
JFH
Family Elder

Re: statin research

Post by JFH »

sunnydelilah wrote:Of course you have to have a doctor prescribe them for use and some doctors refuse to do so.
Statins (low dose 10mg I think) are available over-the-counter in the UK - so I guess on the inet too.
John
I am what I am