More statin research

Discussion of statins (Lipitor, Zocor, etc.) in the treatment of MS.
bromley
Family Elder

More statin research

Post by bromley »

I think this suggests that statins might have a positive effect.

<shortened url>
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

the last sentence of the article suggests that it may decrease the pool of certain important cells so I am not sure it is a perfect drug but I am taking it anyway.. 80 mg every day of Lipitor... too bad
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: More statin research

Post by NHE »

carolew wrote:the last sentence of the article suggests that it may decrease the pool of certain important cells so I am not sure it is a perfect drug but I am taking it anyway.. 80 mg every day of Lipitor... too bad
The abstract appears to be saying that the two statins tested induced parenchymal glial progenitor cells to differentiate into oligodendrocytes as opposed to other types of glial cells. This might be a good effect for MS patients as it would be hard to argue against having more oligodendrocytes available for remyelination (if that is indeed the correct interpretation).

NHE
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Even more statin research!

Post by SarahLonglands »

CPn Help/?q=node/4663#comment-35385
"This one is so important as statins have been used in treating MS for "unexplained" reasons, usually attributed to their anti-inflammatory effect. Similarly, how much of the lowered risk in cardiac disease is due to the anti-bacterial effect of statins vs their cholesterol effect? Of course, denying cholesterol to Cpn inclusions also fights the Cpn (according to the science on delta-tocotreinols)." Jim Kepner
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.