statins

Discussion of statins (Lipitor, Zocor, etc.) in the treatment of MS.
carolew
Family Elder

statins

Post by carolew »

Aaron, you say by ' popular demand' , you wanted to start a statins forum. Is it because alot of other people want to start /are/ask about taking statins?

I can't wait to hear about other people's experiences.

I became excited about statins when I read that they help by stopping the inflammatory reaction on the myelin and that it could even regenerate some of the nerves. They even say that in spinal cord injuries, the recovery is better in rats takin statins. My neuro said 'Statins are for rats' but I didn't stop taking it, he had nothing better to offer me....
noddlebean
Family Member

Liptor 40mg

Post by noddlebean »

Hi there

My name is Jill for those who don't know me. I am in Australia and I take Lipitor 40mg.

I am 30yrs and a bad cholesterol level and my doctor wanted me on Lipitor striaght away but I declined due to my age. My Neuro then spoke up and said that yes she believed it would help me. So I took the leap and am now on 40mg once a day. My doctor believes there is some research that has said that 40mg is the smallest dose that shows its most effective of lowering Cholestoral and for me the 60mag is very expensive. She thought the 10mg would be withdrawan from the market eventually.
I can honestly say that yes it has helped my MS. I feel quite Stable. I have been on it for 4 months now and although I haven't regained anything in the damage I have but for the first time in the last two years I feel "stable" and feel like I can keep it under control. I thought in the end it was a win win situation because it fixed my Cholesterol and it might help my MS. Always up for a drug that does two jobs in one. :D

I am going on 5 months free of any relapse and aiming 6 months. For those that think it must be my MS Meds - forget it I don't take any of them becuase they just don't agree with me. At lease the Lipitor doesn't have any side effects - well none that I have come across.

Jill :wink:
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Lipitor 40mg

Post by NHE »

While I don't take Lipitor myself, I do have a family member that's currently taking it for high cholesterol.
noddlebean wrote: At lease the Lipitor doesn't have any side effects - well none that I have come across.
Lipitor'sPrescribing Information lists possible side effects including possible liver toxicity, skeletal muscle problems, and adverse drug interactions. I'm posting this because I believe that it's often of benefit for a patient to be aware of possible side effects of any medication they're taking. If you have specific questions on any of the issues discussed in the prescribing information, then you'll likely need to review them with your doctor.

By the way, it's great to hear the positive feedback on Lipitor and that you're finding it beneficial with your MS!

NHE
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

From carolew's earlier post in the General Discussion thread:

"I started with only 10 mg of Lipitor per day and people noticed that my balance was better. By the time that I took 20 mg, my kids said 'Mom, why don't you come skiing with us. I am now on 60 mg of Lipitor. My liver enzymes are still fine and I have no muscle aches.
It is not a perfect drug but I can't do without it. I like too much the little it has done for me. Carole"
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
freckles1975

Post by freckles1975 »

I didn't know they were using statins for MS! I love sites like this where you findd out stuff like thi. How long have they been doing this and how has it helped people?

Cheers! Image

Emma
Sydney, Australia
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

I found out about it on the MS Society site. The original article that I read was by a Dr. in California. Dr Yussef I think. You can find her if you do a google search on statins and ms. It was printed in 2002 so they have been at it for a
while already. No results on human studies yet have been written up ywt but the studies are on going. I can only say how it helped me ( as described above) and I hope that the effect will only be better with time. Good Luck.
freckles1975

Post by freckles1975 »

Thanks for that! I will most certainly do a search and see what I find. :)

Cheers! Image
Emma
Sydney, Australia
sunnydelilah
Family Member

statins

Post by sunnydelilah »

I have used 80mg of Zocor daily for past 2 1/2 years. I will not ever stop it as long as I have MS. Doesn't stop attacks, but I have not incurred any additional disability from the attacks.
noddlebean
Family Member

Post by noddlebean »

Ok I have made it to 6 months free of relapse,a bit niggly in the legs and feet but nothing that its manageable they just get a bit stiff but so far so good. If I am going to have a relapse I expect one in the next 2 months (change of season)but I am holding onto the hope that if I have one it will be mild, other words kept in check from taking the Lipitor.

Whether I will admit it or not I guess I have just had 6 months of wellness. Gee thats a first for me.

The only negative thing to say about the Lipitor it can make you more tired or fatiqued - well for me anyway. Apparently theres an enzyme in the body Q10 which converts food into energy and it depleats naturally with age but there has been research thats shown that taking satin drugs speeds the process. I must admit I feel more fatigued than usual but its still better than having a relapse. You can take this enzyme in vitamin form from the pharmacy to counteract the effects. Apparently this enzyme is a good anti-oxident and good for the heart. Anyway apparently its a bit controversal this so my doctor says.

Also I am now wondering about LDN and taking it as well. As both drugs can effect the liver I don't want to push it with the liver. I thought taking the LDN would help with the fatigue side of things and general well being and the Lipitor being a anti-inflamatory will help with keeping the MS in line.

Anyway "on-forward" troops.

Jill
sunnydelilah
Family Member

statins

Post by sunnydelilah »

I use Zocor. I just passed my first anniversary 3/31 without an attack for a full year. I also take a mineral vitamin twice a day, two anti-oxidants, ferulic acid and curcumin (extract of tumeric). The anti-oxidants got rid of my nervous system inflammation around the first of November. I feel great and I don't seem to get the fatigue from the statins as you do.
kareng7
Family Member

Post by kareng7 »

I'm not taking statins but most of my immediate family members are for high cholesterol. I plan on doing an overall blood check, including cholesterol levels, once I get off the antibiotic I just started for a UTI. I'm almost hoping my cholesterol is high enough to need a statin so I can give it a shot--or rather, not give myself a shot. :wink:
noddlebean
Family Member

Made it to 8 months

Post by noddlebean »

Hi guys

I just passed 8 months of relpase free. Well actually I am not sure if I have had one. My legs have been a bit stiff ove rthe last month but I am finding the cold has contributed to that. If it is a relapse its mild enough not to bother me. I myself feel I haven't had one - well not yet anyway - I feel that its keeping it at bay (Lipitor) or keeping it mild. I feel great though - Tried as and the Lipitor contributes to that but I would rather put up with the fatigue any day than some big relapses. I guess I wanna make it to 12 months and then I will be a believer that Statins do help. I feel they are already but I guess I need my own goal to reach. I feel like I have reached one lready.....

Jilly
kareng7
Family Member

Post by kareng7 »

Well, I mentioned I was going to get a slew of bloodwork done and I did. Eleven vials of blood, to be exact. And the results are in: nothing. No high cholesterol. No Lupus. No Lyme disease (although notoriously hard to test for). No B12 deficiency. No nothing. I'm in perfect health--except for possibly having MS. ':?'

In any event, thanks to everyone who is taking statins and posting your status. Please keep it coming. I find the prospect very intriguing and, as I mentioned in another post to this topic, I'm meeting with Dr. Emmanuelle Waubant at the UCSF MS Clinic next week, who is one of the researchers on the trial of statins on folks like myself with CIS. Will let you know what she has to say.
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

I am on 60 mg of Lipitor for RRMS. I can't wait to read the results of this Dr. Emmanuella. My own neurologist doesn't beleive in this theory very much but I still managed to get the statins. They have really improved my quality of life. Good luck to you and please keep us posted. Carole
noddlebean
Family Member

Post by noddlebean »

Heres a link to a another article on Statins I came across

http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040510/ ... 12_pf.html

Jilly