The Second Huge Stem Cell Breakthrough in a Week

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.

The Second Huge Stem Cell Breakthrough in a Week

Postby scorpion » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:57 am

For those who follow stem cell research this is a big breakthrough...

http://beforeitsnews.com/news/27423/The ... _Week.html
scorpion
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby mshusband » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:23 pm

That's great stuff. I'm a huge believer of stem-cells and I'm glad you're posting this stuff.

I think beyond the world of MS this stuff is really the wave of the (present) ...

Amazing the world we live in that's for sure.

Keep it coming ...

Can I just ask, where you're finding this stuff, and what your particular interest/belief in stem cells is?
mshusband
Family Elder

Postby scorpion » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:02 pm

I find the articles I post two ways. I either just browse the web or my wife, who is involved in stem cell research, makes me aware of them. Like you I believe that stem cell treatment is really the wave of the future.
scorpion
Family Elder

Postby harry1 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Let me also say thanks for all the great stem cell postings that you're always presenting for us Scorpion, as it's the one thing giving me hope to be ''normal'' again as i've been fully paralysed in my feet and ankles since 2000 from the progressive form and so maybe i'll get to walk with out footdrop and leg braces and be able to go to work again as a tradesman and ''shock'' maybe play my beloved basketball again in the future :D
harry1
Family Member

Postby indigoinmotion » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:59 am

I'm with you guys! Scorpion, like I've said before, your positive stem cell posts allow me to have hope. thanks bunches!
indigoinmotion
Family Member

Postby harry1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Scorpion

With all the stem cell research news out over the last several years and now the new phase-I trials on ALS, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's, Spinal Cord Paralyses and other diseases from companies like Neuralstem, Brainstorm, Geron Corp etc. and so does your wife or yourself have a gut feeling about when you think it will be mainstream medicine to where i and others who are paralysed (my feet for 14 years now) may recieve treatment at a hospital or the VA for vets like myself to where we may get well enough to go back to work or recreate etc. ??

I'm realistic in that it will be a number of years if the FDA were to ever approve this process but since i'm 46 if i believe that within 10 years or less i could be helped then i may start going back to school (online) for my career or future employment however if we're possibly looking at 15 to 20 years out etc. then i'll probably forget schooling and start planning for my retirement years and let the younger people (20 or 30 somethings) with this disease worry about stem cells ??

If any thoughts as i and probably other lurkers reading this would appreciate it very much :)

harry
harry1
Family Member

Postby scorpion » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Gee Harry 1 that is a tough question. I posed this question to my wife, who knows way more than me about the pace of stem cell research, and she believes that we MAY see treatment available in the next 7-10 years. That is just a guess. There have been some breakthroughs that research colleges are unable to share because the trials are in there "infancy" and the amazing results they have seen can not ethically be published until they are sure the results definitely are a result of the stem cell transplants. I think regardless if it is 10 years, 20 years, or 50 years before stem cell treatment is available you should take the classes and go after your dreams.
scorpion
Family Elder

Postby harry1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks again Scorpion as i appreciate your honesty here.

Anyway i know it will still be some years out if this helps and it's good to see all the constant news coming out on stem cells (stemcellresearchnews.com) and the numerous phase-I clinical trials currently going on for MS, Parkinson's, ALS and Spinal Cord Paralyses as it gives us some hope :D

harry
harry1
Family Member

Postby gothicrosie » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks for this information.

I was wondering, do you know if they are working on stem cell therapy that does not involve chemo to strip our immune system? It is that part of the therapy that just keeps me away from it completely. I am not willing (yet) to give up my fertility (not a fan of IFV).

Thanks.
Best,
Rosie
My blog: http://gothicrosie.wordpress.com/
transverse myelitis May '07 & optic neuritis Oct '07
DXd RRMS Dec. ‘07: No lesions & 3 OG bands
Hubbard MRV scan Jun. ‘10/CCSVI Jul. '10
gothicrosie
Family Member

Postby dignan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:33 am

gothicrosie, there are a few trials of mesenchymal stem cells in people with MS that don't involve wiping out the immune system. Here are some links:

-- http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00813969

-- http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00395200

-- http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00781872
dignan
Family Elder

Postby Lo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Thank you for keeping up with this research. Of everything out there, I am firmly convinced the stem cell science is our greatest hope. 10 years is a long time but here I wait and if I can get into a trial, I will.
Wife, Engineer, Traveler
Dx RRMS January 20, 2010
Started Copaxone May 6, 2010
Lo
Family Member

Return to Stem Cells