Autologous mesenchymal stem cells for secondary prog. MS

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.

Re: Autologous mesenchymal stem cells for secondary prog. MS

Postby Liberation » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:50 am

Tracker wrote:Packo wrote:
Few weeks ago I contacted Prof. Slavin, he let me know that the CTCI team is now able to (in the laboratory) trans-differentiate bone marrow and adipose tissue derived mesenchymal stromal stem cells (MSC) to neural stem cells, motor neurons, dopaminergic neurons, astrocytes and oligodendrocytes that can produce myelin, and therefore he believes it may be possible to use such methods to induce re-myelination in patients with multiple sclerosis. They need to do animal studies to confirm the efficacy of their new patented procedure before they can get approval to apply that methods clinically. He also stated that adipose tissue derived mesenchymal stromal stem cells seem to develop much faster and much nicer as compared with bone marrow derived stem cells but they do not yet know which source of MSCs is more effective clinically.
The future looks bright!

Professor Slavin told me that to do the animal studies, they need funding of approx USD$2-3million. When they have the funding, the studies will be done, and if proven, clinical application will begin immediately.
Anyone got ideas how to raise the funds?

Do you know how much this procedure would be different from NurOwn tested clinically at Hadassah? Did he mention anything about potential timing?

I just received an answer from prof Slavin and he said that he thinks colony expanded MSC treatment is safe. He also said that his experience is that 60-70% of the patients benefit from that. They apply circa 1-2 million MSC per body kilogram. Most of the MSCs are applied intrathecal while the rest IV. He was a pioneer of this treatment. He played a key role in developping this protocol at Hadassah. Most of the ongoing clinical trials with MSCs just follow his footsteps and try to replicate his findings. In the meantime, he is over many treatments.

As for the clinical trials where they completed phase 1 at Hadassah, 11 patients out of 15 showed improvement in EDSS. The average improvement of these patients was 1,2 in EDSS in 6 months. No one showed deterioration in EDSS in tha same period. He also told me that the sooner you get any treatment the more you can benefit from that.

As for replicating his results, in the UK they plan to finish phase 2 in 5 years with 150 patients. Then, will just phase 3 start. So, offical results will come out probably in 10 years.

I also talked to an academist in this field, who has no ties to any clinics profiting from this treatment, and he said that he thinks MSC is fairly safe and he would take part in such a clinical trial if he had MS.

I am just wondering how Celltex's adipose tissue derived treatment compares to this. They claim that they inject 600 million MSCs vs. circa 150 million MSCs applied in other places. Their treatment is IRB reviewed. Anyone knows about IRB reviewed treatments? How safe are they?
Liberation
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Liberation » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:01 am

Liberation wrote: I just received an answer from prof Slavin and he said that he thinks colony expanded MSC treatment is safe. He also said that his experience is that 60-70% of the patients benefit from that. They apply circa 1-2 million MSC per body kilogram. Most of the MSCs are applied intrathecal while the rest IV. He was a pioneer of this treatment. He played a key role in developping this protocol at Hadassah. Most of the ongoing clinical trials with MSCs just follow his footsteps and try to replicate his findings. In the meantime, he is over many treatments.

As for the clinical trials where they completed phase 1 at Hadassah, 11 patients out of 15 showed improvement in EDSS. The average improvement of these patients was 1,2 in EDSS in 6 months. No one showed deterioration in EDSS in tha same period. He also told me that the sooner you get any treatment the more you can benefit from that.

As for replicating his results, in the UK they plan to finish phase 2 in 5 years with 150 patients. Then, will just phase 3 start. So, offical results will come out probably in 10 years.

I also talked to an academist in this field, who has no ties to any clinics profiting from this treatment, and he said that he thinks MSC is fairly safe and he would take part in such a clinical trial if he had MS.

I am just wondering how Celltex's adipose tissue derived treatment compares to this. They claim that they inject 600 million MSCs vs. circa 150 million MSCs applied in other places. Their treatment is IRB reviewed. Anyone knows about IRB reviewed treatments? How safe are they?

Just one thing that I was thinking about combining different treatments. Prof. Slavin told me that "... If active lesions are present we sometimes recommend autologous stem cell transplantation in an attempt to re-induce self tolerance by re-building the immune system. If no gadolinium enanced lesions, treatment with MSCs seems best. ..."

"...for patients with active inflammatory disease we use of special antibodies (these are anti-CD52 monoclonal antibodies named Alemtuzumab or MabCampath) or lymphocytotoxic agents that suppress or eliminate the self-reactive lymphocytes. "

So, does it mean if someone is in the progressive stage (either ppms or spms) and he or she does not have any active laesios, then HSCT and Alemtuzumab is not recommended? I do not really understand why.

Isn't Revimunne something like a lymphocytotoxic agent / cyclophosphamide?

If the numbers Prof Slavin said about the success rate of using MSC of 60-70% that is quite similar to the succes rate of HSCT, isn't it? Of, course, they have a very different effect.
Liberation
Family Elder

Postby Liberation » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Just an interesting thing: I checked out on the net how the Canadian golf player is doing today. She got MSC infusion back in 2008 and she improved a lot afterwards. So, according to her CV, she is still golf instructor at the same place. It sounds good.
Liberation
Family Elder

Postby SammyJo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:57 pm

The FDA has ruled that our own stem cells, when expanded in the lab to an effective dose level, are a drug, subject to FDA regulations. We feel this is an overreach of their authority. We conducted a survey of the National Library of Medicine pubmed.gov and found that over 2,154 patients across 66 studies have been treated with autologous (your own) expanded mesenchymal stem cells. All studies concluded treatment was well tolerated, no adverse events, no tumors or cancer. Consensus is building that safety has been established, and efficacy can now be the focus. http://www.patientsforstemcells.org/edu ... tem-cells/

We also have a news page for the latest on mesenchymal stem cell therapy http://www.facebook.com/PatientsForStemCells

It is wrong to force US citizens into medical tourism to gain access to their own stem cells. The State legislature in Kansas has recently passed a bill to fund adult stem cell research, and Texas has just introduced a bill. Please contact me if you want more information or contacts with legislators or doctors who support this.

I was treated May 2012 in the Celltex stem cell trial in Texas, along with 233 other patients for various conditions, 30 with MS and 20 with Parkinsons, before the FDA interrupted the trial. This study will be published in 2014. I've had great recovery from multiple sclerosis, when I was on the verge of the nursing home at age 47, now I won't be needing that.

SammyJo
RRMS '95 SPMS '02 | CCSVI 10/09 | Adult stem cells 2012 | http://www.patientsforstemcells.org/
SammyJo
Family Elder

Previous

Return to Stem Cells