Not DX yet. Are their options AFTER Transplant?

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.

Not DX yet. Are their options AFTER Transplant?

Postby ShirleyTemple » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:50 pm

I know that Stem Cell Therapy and now the Myelin Repair Research are two things to look on the radar in terms of MS treatments. I am wondering what are the drawbacks to the Stem Cell Transplant. They can be pretty brutal on the body and from those who receive stem cell transplants for issues other than MS (such as cancer), one cannot receive various forms of treatment afterwards.

If someone who has MS gets this transplant; 2, 5, 10 years down the road they are hit with another devastating dx, what are their options? Like, can they no longer get chemotherapy because of it?
ShirleyTemple
Family Member

Advertisement

Re: Not DX yet. Are their options AFTER Transplant?

Postby ShirleyTemple » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:24 am

Maybe i didn't clarify before. With any stem cell transplant, if that transplant fails you. cannot. get. the same transplant. Your options for chemotherapy (if this is pertaining to cancer) become zilch, and if cancer returns after the transplants your only options are really palliative care.

People who get these transplants for MS, what are your options if that doesn't work? What do you have planned if one way or another you get cancer say breast cancer (in conjunction) with your ms? I like the idea of stem cell transplant, but i feel i would do this as a last resort, ironically. What are your thoughts? Have you thought about this?
ShirleyTemple
Family Member

Return to Stem Cells