I will go for MSCT in China

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.
Algis
Family Elder

Re: I will go for MSCT in China

Post by Algis »

Apologies for delay in reporting; but it is very busy and communications are a darn thing here...

The first place I post is in the blog http://algisj.com/wp so if you are eager there is the place to go. Also as it is my server I can put as many pictures as I am pleased.

D-DAY

The 3rd of July it is. “THE”Day. As we booked an early flight in order to arrive on the first day as early as we could; we had to wake up accordingly.

We arrived at the Taoyuan Int’l Airport a bit before 7:00AM. We utilized the usual Van Service which was on time. The Airport personnel was aware of our arrival and waited to help use registering and weighting the luggages. I flew in the past with China Airlines; the “real Taiwan Airlines” and always have praised their services but this time was really Premium! I can not tell how much good care they took of me and my Daughter Mikalina who accompany me for this adventure. Wheelchair from the counter to the plane’s seat. Since we arrived first they had plenty of time to accommodate us with all we needed.

The flight was hyper-smooth. At this time of the day most voyagers continue their sleep during the 2:45 hours of the trip from Taiwan to Beijing and all is quiet and comfortable. Both of us were too excited to sleep tho and we watched a movie; listen to radio or read some e-book on our phone. The seats in the plane are a bit tight for me but for 3 hours it is not of major concern. The Economy Class of a 747-400 as they all are.

At arrival; the same care awaited us and we were taken from the airplane seat to the exit door by the airline/airport services where my own wheelchair waited, extracted from the cargo along with our luggages. The airport of Beijing is huge and between the terminal and the luggage kiosk there is a ~5 minutes ride in a transit system (on tyres by Siemens for the curious).

At Taoyuan departure as well as at Beijing Arrival; we were passed throughout the “Diplomatic Doors and Checking” so all those procedures were very fast and without any bump.

Temperature was of 28ºC in Beijing. No blue sky, a kind of ‘low ceiling’ but I can not determine if it was haze or pollution. The Coordinator of PuHua Hospital (Kathy) was waiting for us as promised. We got to the bus where I had some difficulties because I suppose the fact that I even cannot stand was forgotten and it has been necessary to haul me in the back seat. The driver was skillful but not particularly strong so it has been a bit hard. But well, small issue. Ride was less than an hour, we arrived about noon at Tiantan Road; PuHua Hospital. I was unloaded from the van by a much more trained man and we were directly lead to the room.

Kathy left us for an hour to rest and cool down; wash a bit and take refreshments. Around 3:00PM; we have been introduced to some personnel; nurses and care givers, some administrative talks and papers. After that; the Doctor saw me for a brief talk, just the premises and a general layout of what was gonna happen to me.

I have been seen by 3 neurologists, 2 chiropractors, 1 TCM Doctor and I got my first acupuncture treatment: needles in the arms, legs and belly.

It quickly arrived time to eat dinner and Kathy helped Mikalina (my Daughter) to find a very close food stand where she bought us each pork noodles and we feast on it. We could connect directly to the public wifi of the hospital but in PRC China all communications like Facebook; Google, Line are banned so we had to reset many communication channels before being able to connect. But I will try to make a separate post about connecting and computers.

Emptying luggages; re-insuring friends and family and we were ready for the start of the whole stuff.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

further updates will be placed mostly on the website's blog due to the complexity of the matter throughout ThisisMS and the PRC tecoms

http://algisj.com/wp/
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Updates still there; few answers are too private so if you dont see in your private email/msg box it means I dont answer those questions ...

Usual Q are:
Is the foundraiser keep going and if yes why?
How is the cost of everyday life there?
How are the people?
Why chose your daughter and not you wife or other accompanying you?

I'll make a post on the blog with common questions; be patients it is pretty hard over here :P

Thanks for last donations; Cheers!
Have you a plan on "after"?
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Ok; am back home. I have finish updating the blog up to the last day. I will keep reporting there, way more convenient.

All went smooth and well.
Cheers!
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Algis wrote:Ok; am back home. I have finish updating the blog up to the last day. I will keep reporting there, way more convenient.

All went smooth and well.
Cheers!

Hi Algis,

Update?

Cheers
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Updates are coming. The fact is; I have got a darn bad allergy (probably related to the MSCT) and furthermore, the weather here is killing me; we have permanently 36°C with 90%+ humidity, I cant move a finger without sweating half a liter... And for a reason beyond my understanding, TIMS doesn't send me email notifying someone has replied to my posts.

I have spent the most of my time trying to find a way to continue physical therapy; that I got now; twice a week. No "fantastic" improvements so far, if any (probably subjective, my wife says I look stronger when she need to manipulate me).

I will try to find the courage to update on the site, but next investment I'll make is an air conditioner... Holy cow...

Cheers,

Algis
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Hey Algis,

When I was living in China (not far from Shanghai), I went a few times to Taiwan (Taipei) for business ...

I understand quite well your point regarding the hot wheather!

You may need to wait a bit more to get significative results!

Whishing you the best!
再见! (good bye) :smile:
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I live in South Florida where it is generally hot and humid, and very hot and very humid during the summer months. I use a cooling vest (they are relatively inexpensive) when going outdoors for more than a short period of time. You may want to consider trying one as a short term solution. The vest makes a HUGE difference in my comfort level!
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Thank you Guys; thanks ElliotB for suggestion, I might try that.

Cheers

Algis
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

Anyone hear from Algis? looks like his blog site is down.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

No Guys; All is fine; just exhausted by physical therapy and how to follow-up. I'll try to catch-up forgive me!

Return to “Stem Cells”