UK stem cell early trial for MS

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.
bromley
Family Elder

UK stem cell early trial for MS

Post by bromley »

Dear all,

One of the UK's leading lights looking at stem cell therapies for MS is Professor Neil Scolding who is based in Bristol, England. He has been doing work for a number of years and is being funded by the UK MS Society. It now looks as if the first human trial using bone-marrowed derived stem cells has started at Bristol. It is early days, but this is a bona fide trial - not the sort of stem cell therapy that was offered in Holland / Russia/ China etc. Hopefully this early trial will provide some benefits to those participating and lead the way to bigger trials.

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j10 ... 3&w=464753

Ian
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

bromley,

The patient believes that he will be better soon. I hope that the press continues to follow his progress so that we will all know his outcome.

Welcome back. How was Florida?

gwa
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

GWA,

I imagine that Professor Scolding might present the early findings / results at a conference - perhaps in the autumn. He is on the Board of the European Charcot Foundation which, last year, called for MS stem cell trials involving humans. The Charcot Foundation is meeting in December. It is early days, but Prof Scolding has been working on this for many years.

Florida was lovely - I spent one week in Port Charlotte and one week in Naples. I met Lori for lunch at an exclusive restaurant in Naples. I came across a TV programme called Fat March where some very heavy Americans (some 600lb) are walking to lose weight. I may put Brock's name forward for the second series.

Hope you are well.

Ian
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Hello Ian

Good to hear that you are well.

Many thanks for posting this article. It has made my day! I have great hopes and they rest on Prof Scolding's work.

I just knew there would be some good news when I checked the site out today, and I also knew you'd be the one to post it! 8)

God bless

J
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Stem Cells

Post by Brainteaser »

This is fantastic and encouraging news involving some excellent researchers. But is it known how the treatment will vary from others, particularly how the stem cells will find their way to the points of repair?
retired_at_40_01
Family Member

Post by retired_at_40_01 »

Looking forward to hearing about the results.

Can you post anything you read?

Pete