Multiple Sclerosis - possible autologous stem cell hope

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.

Multiple Sclerosis - possible autologous stem cell hope

Postby MSUK » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:26 am

Multiple Sclerosis - possible autologous stem cell hope - http://tinyurl.com/5wkydw
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby carolew » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks Squiffy, things are moving along....... Carole
carolew
Family Elder

Postby scorpion » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 am

Things are moving along nicely! I look forward to some larger trials and some more posiitive results(fingers crossed).
scorpion
Family Elder

Postby lmacalus » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:56 pm

I was in the NIH study for this but dropped out when I saw the risks outweighed the possible benefit. Do not be fooled, this may be a great soultion for some but the first trial was with Progresive MSrs and bc it wasn't foolprof or a slam dunk they are looking at RRMS folks now. The thing to remember is thst this is VERY aggressive, risky and NOT A CURE as many in the study felt the need to be back on interferions etc. again.
lmacalus
Family Member

Postby youbetcha » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:33 pm

lmacalus wrote:I was in the NIH study for this but dropped out when I saw the risks outweighed the possible benefit. Do not be fooled, this may be a great soultion for some but the first trial was with Progresive MSrs and bc it wasn't foolprof or a slam dunk they are looking at RRMS folks now. The thing to remember is thst this is VERY aggressive, risky and NOT A CURE as many in the study felt the need to be back on interferions etc. again.

lmacalus - Thanks for your honesty.
youbetcha
Family Member

Re:

Postby Liberation » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:01 pm

lmacalus wrote:I was in the NIH study for this but dropped out when I saw the risks outweighed the possible benefit. Do not be fooled, this may be a great soultion for some but the first trial was with Progresive MSrs and bc it wasn't foolprof or a slam dunk they are looking at RRMS folks now. The thing to remember is thst this is VERY aggressive, risky and NOT A CURE as many in the study felt the need to be back on interferions etc. again.

Anyone knows what are the risks and benefits associated with this treatment?
Liberation
Family Elder

Re: Multiple Sclerosis - possible autologous stem cell hope

Postby shucks » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:57 am

Liberation, check out George Goss' website, it has links to tons of studies on the subject. The 2 worst are an up to 5% mortality rate and morbidity associated with infections gotten while the immune system is out of commission. 80% of people who have this treatment done show some improvement in symptoms at 10yrs, while no RRMS patients in the studies I have read had any further progression of symptoms.
"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?
shucks
Family Elder

Postby Asher » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:59 am

Mortality rate in 'the better facilities' is below 1%.
Asher
Family Elder

Postby Liberation » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:07 pm

shucks wrote:Liberation, check out George Goss' website, it has links to tons of studies on the subject. The 2 worst are an up to 5% mortality rate and morbidity associated with infections gotten while the immune system is out of commission. 80% of people who have this treatment done show some improvement in symptoms at 10yrs, while no RRMS patients in the studies I have read had any further progression of symptoms.

Thank you, shucks.
Liberation
Family Elder

Return to Stem Cells